Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

(06-01-2012, 07:09 PM)Skidz Wrote:  The "main" strip is water logged again. If Darren comes down tomorrow, he'd be going back home again without getting the Kubota out.
Yes, there were short odds on that one - but thanks for confirming it anyway.

Steve Murray

I'm not liking the sound of heavy rain on my shed roof this evening.
It won't be doing the field much good Frown

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Yes Jason - jeez, it's actually bucketing down right now, as heavy as I've seen it in months Frown

Steve Murray

At least the forcast looks sunny for the rest of the week ??

This will be a test for the strip !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

It was Short Lived, The field is 100% under water with this Rain Frown

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Yeah, just drove back from the 2020 cricket at Homebush...Bucketing down!!

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Willy doesn't think there's much rain for the rest of the working week - which is the good news.
I'll have a look at it tomorrow or Tuesday and report back.

Steve Murray

I'll be particularly interested to know what happined to the soil we put in to full the billabong in the cross strip. weather it washed away or weather some of it is still there.

Looks sunny enough this morning here. and with a little wind it should dry out a bit.

I was over at McCoy for a walk around at about 2:00pm today. After last night's short-lived but intense deluge, it was interesting ...

New Strip: It was damp, but no standing water - if I'd had a Trojan I could have taken-off and landed. Very good news, but not entirely unexpected. In 48 hours it will be completely dry again but will definitely need a mow on Friday to prepare it for next weekend. Chris' topsoil has not been washed away (see the second photograph) but it has been spread and levelled by the flowing water.

Old Strip: Just as predictably, it's again hosting lots of pooled water which isn't going anywhere.

The Ramp: The mix that we placed in the hole at the bottom of the ramp has taken a beating. There must have been a lot of water flowing quite quickly across the bottom of the ramp as all the long grass has been flattened.

Synopsis: The new strip has come through it, the only obstacle to use (other than mowing of course) will be all the ibis droppings Wink

Steve Murray

Great news Steve. That means that although the water covered the new strip around the top soil fill, the water couldn't have been flowing fast enough/long enough to wash it away. That brings new confidence in to a few more soil filling sessions.

Yes Dave - very positive for our filling ambitions!
The only area that seems to have seen high flow rates is the bottom of the ramp because of the grade of the ground across the field to that point, and the venturi effect of the shape of the concrete floodway.

Steve Murray

The old venturi effect eh!
Dont you just love having a University engineer in our midst, it really is quite humbling.
Thanks for the report Steve, as Dave said after that deluge and I'm sure there was an absolute torrent ripping through there last night, it is prommising to see that Chris's soil has survived.
With that said, if you could give us another update Wednesday afternoon we can plan a mower attack Thursday of Friday afternoon.
I'm free!!!!
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Sorry Gazz, I'll put my sticks of chalk down now Smile
Yes, another report in a couple of days - no worries.

Steve Murray

Nice report Steve.
And some good news as well into the bargain !!

Thanks for that !!

Think I might do some mowing tomorrow afternoon.
Friday morning looks better for flying than the weekend and will suit those of us not at work.

Steve Murray

My mower is in at the mower doctors for a quote on a makeover.

I would like to say I will drop by and help, but my dance card is beyond full tomorrow, if you dont get it all done let me know and I will drop by friday afternoon and finish it off.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

No worries!

Steve Murray

(11-01-2012, 06:15 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Think I might do some mowing tomorrow afternoon.
Friday morning looks better for flying than the weekend and will suit those of us not at work.

I will try to help if i get home early Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I'm in on the mowing this arvo at around 4-00pm
Chris M

A quick update - the new strip is good to go! (pretty much perfect in fact).

Steve Murray

Thanks!

Just been done to the field to have a quick look at the condition given the amount of rain we had last night and yesterday - not a pretty sight.
The old strip is a lake as is the western end of the new strip - about 60% of the new strip is walkable at present without getting your feet too wet. If we a few days of fair weather we might be able to fly off a reduced strip by Saturday.
Monday 16th Jan 11-00am

Chris M

we can probably expect the bikers back sometime
this week then.
Conditions are just about perfect for them Frown

If it's any consolation, Brisbane not much better since I arrived yesterday.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

If the council would give us a little assistance and get rid of all the tall grass, particularly down the eastern end where the water gets bottle necked I'd put money on it that the field drainage would improve considerably.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Flame suit on - it's 37 deg C in Melbourne. Melbourne and Sydney seem to be opposite in weather.

Those pictures are quite disheartening considering the fine tuning planned this weekend for A-Day.

To follow up on Chris' report from yesterday - I've just got back from a walk around and the new runway is drying out very quickly!

Although it is damp, you could use it right this minute if you were pressed - compared to the old strip, that's impressive. There is only one section which is holding water and that's a very small region on the extreme western end. Of course, the whole thing is going to need a mow later in the week to be serviceable for the weekend, but that was always on the cards as the paspalum is loving the conditions.

Tuesday 17th, 4:00pm (compare this to Chris' top photograph, taken from almost the same position)

Steve Murray

Thats great news Steve, I was alittle concerned that the last few days of heavy dumps may have backed up the field again, but its looking good!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Steve,
That's great news about the water receding.
Unfortunately I can not assist with the mowing this week as I will be away for a couple of days and will be back on deck late Saturday (to demonstrate to the air boss my skills or lack there of) or more likely Sunday.

Cheers
Chris M