Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

(27-12-2011, 09:40 AM)Husni Soejono Wrote:  Ok cool I'll be there aroun 10:30

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Guys,
I have been given the OK by Kevin (he has spoken to the council) to fill in the ruts made by the motorbikes, so I have been looking at the various soil/fill suppliers on the net - unfortunately most places are closed today. I have found that Turtle Nursery's at Rouse Hill sell "fill" at $10/T or something they call "filling soil" at $20/T so I will investigate these further to determine which is the most suitable for our use.

Given the damage done by the bikes this is not just a 2 hour job, but I was thinking of making a start over the next couple of days and filling the deepest ruts in the middle of the strip so that we can at least get 1/2 to 2/3 of the strip usable when the weather lets up. My intention was to buy 1 or 2 tonnes of the above fill and trailer it to the field however I can only take about 1/2 tonne per load, so would anyone else have a box trailer and be able to assist with the cartage.

Obviously I can only proceed with this if the field is not too wet and can take the weight of the laden trailer. I will be going down to the field later today to check.

Cheers
Chris M

Great work Chris.

Flying Today is hot and Humid, only small turn out.

Gazz & Kev j heres a fix for grass landing, Dennis is using on pc 9, works a treat on the bay Strip.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi Chris, good to see the interest from club members in getting the field back into first class shape. Thanks for doing the work in finding a good price for the fill. I've posted some specs on the fill type in the Club only section under McCoy field as anything we do must comply with Council policy and procedures.

Hi Chris
I did quite a bit of mowing yesterday but could only do a small area at the eastern end of the strip as the rest is still way to wet. Especially for a trailer.
I did a really thourough inspection of the strip yesterday and the motor cycle ruts have been blended in quite a bit by the additional rain. The biggest issue I think we face is that the low points on the strip have been made considerably deeper by the last few months of rain so much so that they are visually deep holes on the runway and will need a lot of fill, I'm guessing at least 4 or 5 tons to fill them in and make the strip flat. The problem with that is if we do dump and level that much soil it will be at least 200 mm thick in places and the only way to keep that from being washed away is to lay turf over the top.
One of the guys suggested seeding it, but once again any decent rain will wash that away.
Just pointing out observations I made, the committee will need to discuss our actions further but as I previously mentioned the majority of the strip is still to wet to mow and has a few huge, and I mean huge puddles that are still holding a lot of water and are 100mm deep or more.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Yes, Gazz has got to the real problem as I see it - the huge depressions in the runway which are holding brackish water. Just got back from a walk around over there (Jason was valiantly doing some more mowing) and the tyre ruts are not as much of an issue - sure, they could do with some soil in various places but the runway would still be completely unserviceable because of the deep hollows.

Steve Murray

Guys,

Jason and I were thinking outside the square a bit today...

It seems there are about 5 places where the water sits and yes, we put a runway right over all 5 spots.

[Controversial thought coming next] If we skewed the runway such that started at the same point at the drive ramp but aimed the runway centre-line at the heli practise area, you would still have room to park cars and keep the pit area a safe distance (30m) and miss all the usual bog holes. You'd have a nice long straight runway (wide). The approaches from each would be still fine. We would benefit from more flying weekends if the runway was out of the swamp. Only tools required are mowers, rakes, fuel, elbow grease and cold drinks. Thought I'd put this idea out there before we got stuck in to the swampy areas.

Rob and I were discussing exactly that same idea yesterday.
With the the landing from the western end between the water tower and the large tree we currently come down the other size of.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Rob who?

Robert Byrnes, you know the wispering voice of Australia Day. He dropped by while I was mowing, as did Russell, you do know Russell don't you?

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thats basically what I proposed earlier in the year just before it started raining

(27-12-2011, 06:27 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Robert Byrnes, you know the wispering voice of Australia Day. He dropped by while I was mowing, as did Russell, you do know Russell don't you?

Met Russell today Smile. Looking forward to meeting Rob again. My theory is that when Rob isn't flying, it rains on McCoy. START FLYING ROB!!
(27-12-2011, 06:30 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Thats basically what I proposed earlier in the year just before it started raining

Are we gaining momentum here? Seems like many of us are thinking the same thing.

I think is the most practical and cost effective of all our field improvement options.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Something like this ??

It still needs a little bit of fill and it could really work well

It could be a little longer as well but it's there to try out there seems to be enough room for just about anything with wheels now Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

wow the field looks so good, it was good meeting some of you guys today and thanks again jason. hope to see yous soon.

Excellent work Jason but I think you may have got the western end to far to the north. There wont be enough room for the car park and pits plus the 30 meters distance off we need between the pits and the runway for safety. We will probably need to twist the western end further south. Good effort mate.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

I think you have put in a lot of work there Jason. Top stuff mate. It looks pretty good in those photos. Finishing touches from a working bee and I think we are on top of McCoy marshes.

I think you may have got the western end to far to the north. There wont be enough room for the car park and pits plus the 30 meters distance off we need between the pits and the runway for safety. We will probably need to twist the western end further south. Good effort mate.

Gazz, I agree absolutely with one low patch filled a little we should be able to skew it more in that direction.

McCoy is looking pretty good now. Ok to drive in (my expert opinion) but need to avoid the water lying at the base of the drive down. Easy to do. The rest of the field where cars drive is dry and firm.

Photos as evidence. I'd say the field is very flyable and the realigned runway meets all MAAA requirements with the pit area (where we sit) 30m from the flight line. Just need to extend the new runway more toward the big tree. I skimmed an extra inch of the runway this morning so it is smooth and quite hard. Definitely no soggy spots (none whatsoever). Good to go lads.

PS. These aren't runway shots. They are taken from where we park our cars. Jason and Steve Lang are in the first photo inspecting the soggy (ex)runway. We can reinstate the No.1 runway when the weather improves and the ground is dry. It is pretty sad at present.

I dropped by the field to look at where the work had progressed to today to find Steve, Chris and Jason busy filling the low points and checking the strip level with a theodilite.
We paced out and disscussed the most practical corners of the upgrade and will be meeting again tomorrow at 3.30pm with mowers ready to complete the trim. Any one else who can bring along a mower would be appreciated.
Chris dropped 1 ton of good quality topsoil down, which was spred and leveled to start filling the low areas on the edge of the new strip, the soil Chris was going to get was rubbish so we had to pay a bit more for a good soil/sandmix.
We are planning dropping another ton tomorrow afternoon.
The mowing we will be doing tomorrow is to give us a workable runway. If the committee is not happy(but I am sure they will be) we can simply be let to regrow so it is nothing that cant be undone if we choose to make a few mods.
The most posative thing is that with a few modifications to the parking area and pit extremities we should be up and flying again in no time.
If the rain will piss off there is no reason why we cant fly this weekend.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Dave did an excellent job on continuing the mowing this morning it's really starting to look nice now !!

The extra Mowing Gazz is taking about is to lengthen the strip a little more and that will put the cherry on top of the icing on the cake !!

A little extra fill ion the places you can see in this pic will add a little more room to the already very flyable landing area e have at the moment!!

Lots of hard work by lots of people paying off handsomely indeed

Here's a pic of Gazz pointing out the approach angle possible with just a little more filling to be done

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

hi guys . havent been around much , sorry . i would like to help , its not like me not to , but i have been recovering from serious injury a few months ago . i'm off work next week and have a box trailer , i cant offer much in the way of physical work , but i can tow a trailer if required . looking forward to getting the xmas stuff and hols out of the way to regain the hobby , buy some more models and fly more in 2012 . cheers frank .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

My God
All that work and the field still looks bloody awful.
Ahh hang on that's just Gazz.

Cheers
Rob B

Words fail me Rob!!!!!!

Oh no ....

hang on a second ....

just thought of one ....

PRICK!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Gazz

I am profoundly disappointed that my quip rated only the 2527th ranked swear word of your 9587 strong repertoire.
Thought i'd make the top 200 for sure.

Seriously the field is looking great, excellent work done by all involved.
Just going to add a heads up to all flyers, with the new strip alignment the entire visual picture is going to change by more than what you may expect. Please have a good look at the new runway threshold obstructions that come into play. I hope some extra diligence will save us from feeding trees and powerlines with our aircraft.

Cheers
Rob b

(28-12-2011, 07:35 PM)robair Wrote:  Just going to add a heads up to all flyers, with the new strip alignment the entire visual picture is going to change by more than what you may expect. Please have a good look at the new runway threshold obstructions that come into play. I hope some extra diligence will save us from feeding trees and powerlines with our aircraft.

Cheers
Rob b

Rob, the eastern end had to point back at the trees as shown in the pic to avoid the western end pointing at the Grace building. The approach from the entrance end seems simple coming in from the floodway with a turn to final near on at the threshold. The Grace approach will require a descent near the willow tree with a turn to final again near the threshold. I have a suspicion that flyers will approach high and perhaps land hot resulting in some running off the end.

The heli hover practice area will need to be reviewed tomorrow for safety during plane flying activity.

Yes Dave , you are dead right.
Steve, Jason, Chris and I were discussing that yesterday afternoon. We will probably move the heli hovering area back into the top corner another 10 to 15 meters so that its lower corner is well clear of approaching aircraft.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Well I'm going down to try it out this morning before the wind comes up
I'm hoping that someone with a key will come and join me Smile

See you there

Jason

I presume the new strip is in excellent condition and ready to go for tomorrow's flying (the weather forecast is perfect). I haven't actually been over today to check it out after yesterday evening's rain though, has anyone walked around there today?

Steve Murray

Yes. I walked through. It is dry and in very good shape (completely unaffected). The "main" strip is water logged again. If Darren comes down tomorrow, he'd be going back home again without getting the Kubota out.

We're flyin' tomorrow lads!!

Edit: Bumped in to ChrisM who has put in some serious hours this week with weed wacker. He's made a serious dent in the brush so we can tweak the direction of the runway further toward the creek at the western end.