Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

Interesting bit is that they never actually got in touch with me to ask, the last email to the installer from PCC was:

"Liaises with Kieran Vella who will tell you where to put the signs"

Mixed news on the field condition front from Wednesday morning.

The areas that were serviceable on Saturday were noticeably improved. However, the parts that were damp/wet appeared unchanged (for example, the size of the puddle on the western end of the strip) which was a little disappointing given the conditions since.

Presumably, the standing water isn't draining away again.

I vaguely recall Chris did some clearing a few months back that improved things markedly, and would be curious to know whereabouts this was? (had a casual look today but didn't see anything obvious)

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Thanks for the report mate. Yes, it's a bit disappointing as it seems we're relying on evaporation only (plus what the turf draws up through its roots, which isn't much in the winter months).

Steve Murray

Just came back from the field, looks good to me!!

Along the left side of the runway has the two soggy patches, but still plenty of servicable runway to fly from.
The field is hard and dry in most area's, just the usual spots to stear clear of.

The field looks as good as you'll get in winter.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Thanks Pete - another 36 hours until Saturday morning with no r**n forecast. Good, because we deserve a break!

Steve Murray

It seems that these days it's not the r**n that's the pain in the neck.
it's the w**d.
So here we go again.......e've got another unprintable wordIcon_evilIcon_evilIcon_evil

Smile

Pete
You must have missed me by about 3 minutes.
I left at about 3.40 after having 2 flights of my new Stuka.
I agree, the field does look pretty good.
The whole thing needs a good haircut though.
Anyone want to join me Saturday morning about 7.30 with mowers in hand to give the old girl a trim.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I will be down Tommorow just after lunch and will bring mower and give it a trim if i get time as i will be busy fixing other stuff up.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(02-08-2012, 08:01 PM)samste Wrote:  I will be down Tommorow just after lunch and will bring mower and give it a trim if i get time as i will be busy fixing other stuff up.

Steve Smile
No worries - I'll be down there in the early afternoon for a walk with the mower too.

Steve Murray

We had a couple of biker incidents today after everyone had left the field.
As luck would have it my son Kev just happened to be calling into Darren's
place and saw them.
He quickly ran across the creek to intercept and as soon as they saw him coming
they took off.
Later in the afternoon while still at Darren;s place we heard the sound of a couple more
bikes and Kev and Kieran quickly raced around to the field in time to see what appeared to be
a father/son combination getting ready to tear up the runway.
Kieran was able to speak to the father who said that he was not aware that we flew model aircraft there and apologized and he and son departed.
Kev says that they were not the same people he had chased earlier in the day.
So, looks like we may have some unwelcome visitors in the area again.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Enjoy Guy's , Cannot make it this weekend but i might be able to sneak over Saturday Morning early for an hour.

Steve Wink

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hey Steve
You D Man!!!!
I guess I wont need to pack my mower tomorrow then eh?

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

thats a nice looking airfield, wonder if ill ever get to see it again Smile

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Likey muchly

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

I droped by the field today on the way home from work to check out how the strip faired after last nights deluge, because I wanted to maiden my new Sukhoi 50.
I am happy to report that although the side of the runway closest to the power lines is only a bit soggy under foot the rest of the strip is fine, the mid strip low point opposite the pilots box and the little hollow at the top of the strip (western end) are holding a liittle water, another day or two of sunshine and it will be good as gold for the weekend...... saaawweeeeeeeeeet!
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Did anyone drop by the field today and see how it faired after this morning downpour?

I was going to stop by this afternoon for another few flights with the new Seb but it was blowing more than I liked so I deceided to give it a miss.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

The Field is in Great Condition, I have mowed it this afternoon so low that is a lawn bowling green now and have remarked all lines.

Ready to Go Tommorow Biggrin

Gazz should have come down, Jason was down too

Steve Smile

Field Condition Perfect for the Weekend Guys all ready to Go including the Heli Area sorry no Picture

Good work Steve & helpers with the mowing & marking of the strip - I went down this evening to check it out re: water levels.
Exceptional effort to whoever was the secret whipper snipper operator (by the photos I think it was a retired young fella called Kevin). It looks promising that we could claim some more land back from the swamp.

Well Done!

Great effort guys, appreciated. Dont know if I should be whipper snipping for a while given my disk damage still on the mend.

I haven't checked the field since the AGM on Sunday, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be good for this weekend. I'm planning on doing some mowing on Friday because Saturday (at least) looks fine for weekend flying. Just posting here so that we don't double-up.

Steve Murray

I am hoping to give the rest of the field a mow tomorrow afternoon from 3pm.
My mower doesn't go tht low Steve so I might leave the main strip to you and I will do everything else.
I will take my mower with me to work, that way I can go straight to the field from work, so anybody else who wants to join me is welcome.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Ok Prez - I'll look after the runway!

Steve Murray

Hi Guys,
I was down at the field last night & would you believe it the council has been mowing. If it wasn't for some line marking, identifying the boundaries required some scrutiny. As a result the strip & heli area do need a good mow to identify them as well as bring them down in length but the pit area and car park are OK. Perhaps if people have time on there hands some clearing (whipper snipping) wouldn't go astray.
I'm happy to do some after work (5pm onwards) given we now have daylight savings.

Cheers
Chris M

Steve Biggrin

Thats great news. I have my Trimmer in the back of the van as well because Kev is meeting me to attack some of the thick stuff, but by the looks of things I will be able to do the strip as the rest is already done, so you can take the rest of the week off Steve, big thanks Parra council for the support.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

We're going to have to refer to ourselves by username samste, because I think Gazz was referring to me that time ... I was planning on mowing on Friday.

Steve Murray

(17-10-2012, 09:01 PM)smuzz Wrote:  We're going to have to refer to ourselves by username samste, because I think Gazz was referring to me that time ... I was planning on mowing on Friday.

Lol

I realised That, but was confused a little in that i mowed Yesterday Strip and remarked lines Etc and Gazz Posted he is going to do Strip ? Possibly attacking Old Strip is what he meant

Steve Smile

Just posting how darn good out field now looks thanks to Gazz, Kevin B, Samste, Peter and everyone else who was involved! Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Super-Chipmunk
Pitts Special
Parkzone Habu

Indeed, a big thanks to all those that came down to the field for this afternoons working bee, Kev and I attack the mulga and started building a new cross strip, early days yet but it looks prommising. Pete made a big dent in the western end of the strip, cutting back about 8 meters of the thick overgrowth. Steve B did the main runway yesterday and today he attacked the thick growth around the edges of the runways. A very good afternoons work, thanks again men.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6