Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Making sim progress

One of the instructors is probably better placed to give authoritative answers, but ...

1. You have to remember that a conventional computer screen won't give you stereoscopic vision (unless you've got the special goggles) so depth judgement isn't quite so easy. You should perhaps see if your simulator (I don't know which one you're using) has a "training" mode or something similar so that you can repeatedly practice landings only. For example, Phoenix allows you to practice landings from a starting point in the sky which is the correct turn from base to final legs and then you can simply land, over and over again - I found it really helpful, because it automatically places you in the correct position to begin the approach. Sticking with the same plane and the same simulated airfield is a good idea too, so that you can get used to the geometry properly.

2. Landing on a tricycle undercarriage is generally easier than on a tail-dragger, so I'd recommend that to start with. Then fly your plane at reduced throttle down to about a foot off the ground and then keep it level at the same time reducing the throttle to idle - keep the same one-foot altitude as it slows naturally. Then as it's about to begin a stall, ease the nose up a little but the plane shouldn't climb (if it does, then you've done it too early), instead it will ease downwards with its nose still pointing upwards a little. That's it - it will touch down and you keep your rudder thumb ready to stop it wandering off.

3. You're ready for a buddy-box session at that point, not a solo flight. The Parkzone T-28 is the perfect accompaniment, again, in my humble opinion.

Steve Murray

Messages In This Thread
Making sim progress - by BenR - 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM
RE: Making sim progress - by Flying fisho - 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM
RE: Making sim progress - by smuzz - 09-04-2012, 07:17 PM
RE: Making sim progress - by Skidz - 09-04-2012, 08:29 PM
RE: Making sim progress - by secant0give - 09-04-2012, 09:06 PM
RE: Making sim progress - by BenR - 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM
RE: Making sim progress - by Skidz - 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
RE: Making sim progress - by smuzz - 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM
RE: Making sim progress - by gbanger - 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM
RE: Making sim progress - by BenR - 11-04-2012, 12:14 AM