Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rob's Swiss Cheese Glider

Gday All

If I could involve our collective minds here it would be appreciated.
Due to a landing mishap on Monday (prop dug into soft ground) I have snapped the shaft of my Glider motor (Thunder Tiger OBL2909). I am not too sad about this as I have "tried" to snap it on many previous occasions to the point that I thought it may well be invincible, alas not true.
However, I cannot source a new shaft for the bugger anywhere, Mick at Kellets stated that they did not have any and may not for quite some time (months !! ). Does anyone know of any good parts stockists for such a shaft?

Finally, Steve was kind enough to rip out of his Aladdins Cave bag of parts a motor that I can use in the interim (Thanks Mate!!!), be warned, my glider now sounds like a demented very small lawnmower that is about to spontaneously explode, it's all good though. Smile

On a side note on monday the field was a hell of a lot better than expected, in another forum somewhere I think Paul commented that he found it also good and posted some photo's so don't be put off by the amount of rain we have had, the field is good. Just make sure you use a folding prop if you going to belly her in!

Cheers
Rob B

Sorry to hear about your shaft Rob.
Couple of places to try
RC Hobbies Petersham Ph: 9564 0822
Ultimate Hobbies North Parramatta Ph: 9890 8814
HStore Hobbies Caringbah Ph:9525 7540

One of them may have what you need.
Good luck

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

robair Wrote:Gday All

Due to a landing mishap on Monday (prop dug into soft ground) I have snapped the shaft of my Glider motor (Thunder Tiger OBL2909). I am not too sad about this as I have "tried" to snap it on many previous occasions to the point that I thought it may well be invincible, alas not true.
However, I cannot source a new shaft for the bugger anywhere, Mick at Kellets stated that they did not have any and may not for quite some time (months !! ). Does anyone know of any good parts stockists for such a shaft?

Finally, Steve was kind enough to rip out of his Aladdins Cave bag of parts a motor that I can use in the interim (Thanks Mate!!!), be warned, my glider now sounds like a demented very small lawnmower that is about to spontaneously explode, it's all good though. Smile

On a side note on monday the field was a hell of a lot better than expected, in another forum somewhere I think Paul commented that he found it also good and posted some photo's so don't be put off by the amount of rain we have had, the field is good. Just make sure you use a folding prop if you going to belly her in!

Cheers
Rob B

sorry rob i had abit of a look and other than the shops paul mentioned which i doubt will have i found very little on that motor..
here is a cheapy you could throw in the club order sunday night (although i could pick a couple of other motors to chuck in that would be fun also Icon_twisted )
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_...duct=8474#

sorry i couldnt help more

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

robair Wrote:Gday All

Cheers
Rob B

Rob, There may be an alternative to buying a replacement shaft. Most of the shafts I've seen so far have been 3mm or 3.2mm (1/8 inch) and it may be possible to buy some silver steel with the right diameter and make a shaft. Does the old shaft have a threaded end ? and how long does it need to be? If you have the old shaft let me have a look at it and I will make some measurements.

cheers
Kevin B

I'd put money on this shaft being a match:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=6486

Stephen also posted this in the other thread before I split them:
samste Wrote:Rob i have bench tested that motor Tonight that i gave you as i have two http://cgi.ebay.com/Emax-2215-20-1200kv-...634.c0.m14with 9 inch folding prop and sure enough 23.5 amps not a bad motor, im going to use this in my new Glider kit http://www.parramatta.rcflyingclub.com/p...rt=60#p715 that i have slowly started to put together as the stock motor is tiny.

Gday All

Thanks for all the tips, I like the idea of simply making a new shaft, I think I might try that first. However will also try out the Vella option due to said gentlemans highly confident tone.

I will also have you know that the holes in "My Swiss Cheese Glider" are actually SPEED HOLES!!! This concept was first introduced to me by promiminent aerodynamicist Homer Simpson. I am more than happy to explain the principles behind this to any interested party but as a teaser it is a cross between dimples on golf balls and holes drilled for weight reduction purposes. In combination it is a truly potent measure, lets face it, the awesome power of these modifications spelt the end of my much abused motor shaft. Beginner flyers will find SPEED HOLES naturally occur on their aircraft in most instances. Avoidance of Buddy Boxing will allow such modifications to proliferate. A hand launch from Captain Vella can also produce desirable results. Wink

Cheers
Rob Byrnes

Ah yes... Speed Holes, I'm familiar with them and aim to introduce them with everyones models! I think Kev's T28 is my best effort so far, look how fast it goes now!!!
[Image: th_SpeedHoles.jpg]