Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Opinions Wanted - Corsair

Hi all,
I've been looking at this model corsair from banana hobby
http://www.bananahobby.com/2195.html
I've managed to find the supplier, and have been thinking about trying to get one in direct from the manufacturer.
Before I go and do that, I was trying to get people's opinion on the aircraft itself. I don't know too much, but love the look of the aircraft, and its certainly something that I'm keen on

Looks like a nice scale model, but at 3.4Kgs it's got some weight even for it's size. I reckon it will be an unforgiving machine to fly, It's allmost the same colour top and bottom so it will be chalenging to orrientate as well. There will be nothing self correcting about the way it flys you'll need to be ahead of it all the time. If your not chances are it will get destroyed very quickly.

I'd say, your looking at being an intermeadiate to advanced pilot to fly this one and get it back on the ground safely. It looks like a pretty complex machine retracts flaps ect you'll need a decent radio for all that as well.

I wouldn't recomend it as a beginers plane, But I'm not saying it's a bad plane and may fly very nicely with the right thumbs on the sticks.
I havn't see one of these in the flesh so I can't comment on the quality of the manufacture. From the Pics it looks OK.
If you like it I'd say buy it, but also buy something easy to fly and leave the Corsair in the box untill you master flying a few more forgiving planes first.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I second Jason's comments.
Would not recommend as a first plane as it will be a handful to fly.
With all functions enabled you will need 8 channel radio. Plus a 6 cell battery.
I see that they are offering a 12 channel radio for an extra $70 but don't know how much
use you can get with other models. I suspect that it would not be a full featured radio and might
also be hard to get other receivers later.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Hi guys,
Thanks for the advice!
I was thinking of something a bit smaller as well. I have the option of getting a couple of aircraft out of the supplier at a good price. Just need to weigh up my options.
Controller wise, I was considering spending out the money and getting an 8ch Spektrum.
I figure that should cover me for most aircraft I would ever fly. Any other radios I should consider?
Am I better off spending the money on a decent 8ch first up, or get a smaller radio with something else?

DX8 (Spektrum 8ch) is a good radio if you can afford it.
You will probably only need 4 channels at first but the radio will serve you well as you progress.
Don't rush out yet and buy a plane until you have had a chance to come down to the field and see what goes on and what equipment you need to get you started.
I sense that you are keen to get a great plane but just hold off a little and see what's on offer as a first time aircraft

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

You've hit the nail on the head there Johnathan. Purchasing the DX 8 is a smart more as it saves you having to spend more money further down the track as your experience improves. The DX8 also has better features than the 6 or 7 so as I said smart move.
Just a little bit more info on the corsair, the wing shape of that particular aircraft lends itself to tip stalling so as the other guys said get yourself a trainer and learn the basics with an aircraft that is more forgiving.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I do plan on holding off for a little while. I haven't had a good look at what is out there, and yes am keen to fly something i consider nice, but yes don't want to go destroying anything quickly as yet!
Been hunting around and have future projects planned, but will wait until I've met up with you guys, and done a bit of learning and flying first.
Are there many guys at the club who fly rotary wings?

Another vote for "Not a beginners plane". Good information here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430036 (and it seems like all banana hobby threads, slowly devolving into reports of bad customer experience with BH)

Jason posted this video a while ago. Learning to fly a Corsair should be easy after watching this - just do the opposite of everything shown here and you'll do great Smile (WARNING: as a Corsair lover, you may not want to watch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ANeGWKYSr8

In all seriousness, a Dx8 would be a good idea if you're sure you'll get hooked on the hobby. I started a bit over a year ago... and have run out of model slots on the Dx6i and looking to upgrade Smile Catch you down at the field!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Thanks Claudio!! Hillarious watching that!!
I've had a love of the plane for years, and have done the research on the real flying plane, and am aware of its unforgiving nature!
Really appreciate the help you guys have been providing.
I can see the best thing will be to come down and see you guys, have a chat and then slowly delve into the world of flying.
I have no intention of dealing with BH, just happen to have found the supplier who is happy to deal with me.

(29-02-2012, 01:26 PM)corsair_pilot Wrote:  Thanks Claudio!! Hillarious watching that!!
I've had a love of the plane for years, and have done the research on the real flying plane, and am aware of its unforgiving nature!
Really appreciate the help you guys have been providing.
I can see the best thing will be to come down and see you guys, have a chat and then slowly delve into the world of flying.
I have no intention of dealing with BH, just happen to have found the supplier who is happy to deal with me.

I don't see any problem if you buy this corsair for display until you learn to fly on someting more suitable for a bigginer.
I know a local supplier who sells these if you still want one..

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Who is the local supplier?
I'm assuming it has the folding wings etc?

hahaha thats the best video ever! it cant be for real surely

the best bit was where he says " im gonna bring it in for a landing...."
mahahah this cheered me up at the end of a crap day , im laughing so hard! hes like phil from modern family if youve seen it .. hahah i gotta go

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Yeah the guy certainly seems to have many issues going on there....
I'm confident even as a first time flyer I wouldn't make the same mistakes he did!
But like Kevin, it was a great way to unwind and have a good laugh at the end of a very long work day!!
Oh along with listening to some r/c flyers playing with their turbine jet engines... oh the noise!!
Was browsing ebay again today, and was thinking of something that would be a nice easy flyer from my light aircraft experience and came across this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HobbyZone-Sup...l_Vehicles&hash=item2eb8623331
Super Cub. From the real life it shouldn't need much runway and should be a dolly to fly at low speeds. Assuming the scale down has worked. Any thoughts on this one?

Hi there Jonathan,
Fellow club member Ingo (Dinghy) has a Super Cub and has been flying it for years. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that it's only a three-channel model if I remember correctly - Ingo actually cut some ailerons into his by way of a kit-bash to convert it to four-channel. Some people like the idea, but I was never comfortable with learning to fly on a trainer that doesn't have ailerons.
About the best option for learning (and well beyond) is the Parkzone T-28 Trojan, in the opinion of humble self. They're a bit expensive though, but they perform just beautifully - impossible to overdo the praise. All our instructor's have owned them in the past, never heard a bad word about them.

Steve Murray

Well said Steve,
I have been flying the T28 for many years and trainered a number of people from beginner to good solid pilot with this aircraft. I actually learnt to fly on one. If you what an aircraft that will grow with you, then you really cant go past it as a great trainer. The really terrific thing about the T28 is that as your skill level increases you just wind up the rates and it then becomes a very good aerobatic intermediate plane.
I still have one and I just fly it for fun because it is just that... A lot of fun to fly !!
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks for the heads up!!
I was just looking at those. There are a whole bunch of different models out there.
Is there a particular brand or type that I should be looking for?
The other plane i had looked at was a Yak.
Hoping to head out this weekend and browse a few hobby stores and also spend a bit of time online and seeing what I can find.

This is the one Gary and I are talking about ...

http://www.parkzone.com/products/default...id=pkz5080

... it's also available as a T-28 which has the US Navy orange and white colour scheme. Pricing varies depending upon whether you buy the PNP version (Plug and Play - you supply your own receiver) or the BNF version (Bind 'N' Fly comes with a Spektrum compatible receiver).

Steve Murray

The Yak is not an aircraft that I would recommend at a trainer, there is no dihedral (angle) built into the wings because it is built for the more advanced pilot. Thet means they dont really have any self stabilisation or the tendancy to fly straight and level without input. They are a magic aircraft but are a little to twitchy for a beginner.
Most of the leading hobby shops sell the Parkzone T28, but if they are out of stock and you are interested in getting one, you cant go past Model flight in Adelaide, they are one of the best distributors in the country and their prices are hard to match. Delivery to Sydney is as cheap as chips and you usually have it within 3 or 4 days. On that note if you are thinking about buying a Spectrum DX8, give them a ring and ask to speak to Jason, tell him that Gary from PRCAC put you on to him and he will look after you. (And NO !!! i do not get kick back from Model Flight, they have just been a great group of people to deal with over the years).
But as was mentioned before, dont buy anything until you come down to the field and discuss your options with a few experienced pilots.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

What would this be like for someone like me?
Reading the articles and it would seem that it is a nice and slow plane to fly.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM40t1KIGOo&feature=related

well . i'm not being smart . but this is the reality of beginners flying . you need a plane that can cop a few stacks . because if you havent flown before , even on the easyist planes you'll find it very hard . so i suggest a TRAINER PLANE ( DESIGNATED TRAINER DESIGN ) that is cheap light and can take a little pounding . you'll be hooked up to a buddy system with an instructor , so your chances are good , but not unlikey you'll crash . so dont pick a plane you desire .
i have a cessna 182 . not my pick , but it has done a few cart wheels already , flying is very hard , landing is harder , you can pick the plane you want , but someone has to be prepared to train you . i'm sure that plane someone will gladly train you , however . is it a trainer ??? can it take a low speed crash , and just pick it up and take off again .
my suggestion , buy a TRAINER HIGH WING PLANE , AND ONE YOU LIKE AT THE SAME TIME AS YOUR NEXT PLANE . BUT ME I WOULD BUY A TRAINER PLANE 1ST AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

I was looking at a Cessna 182 that was bout $120. Internationally it was $99.
Just been having issues finding good reviews on it. I'll go back around. Might save the Catalina as my third plane.
I'll check out hk n modelflight.com.au
Or suck it up n get the pz trojan

(18-03-2012, 06:14 PM)corsair_pilot Wrote:  I was looking at a Cessna 182 that was bout $120. Internationally it was $99.
Just been having issues finding good reviews on it. I'll go back around. Might save the Catalina as my third plane.
I'll check out hk n modelflight.com.au
Or suck it up n get the pz trojan

I'VE GOT A CESSNA . i'm sure theres better high wing trainers out there . but saying that i'm close to solo on that and its still in one peice . needed a lot of mods to make it as it should be from factory .
dont get anything RTF ( ready to fly) cause the radios are rubbish . get PNF or BNF ( PLUG N FLY ) COMPLETE PLANE WITHOUT RECEIVER .
BIND AND FLY - complete plane with receiver inc .
GREAT CHOICE ON THE SPECTRUM DX8i I'm jealous .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=18939

Tuff Trainer its Tough, only issue i found was you need extra weight at front so bigger lipo works well.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

The other thing I was just looking at was the Icanfly.
It seems like it needs a slightly bigger motor in it, and replace the esc's, but that's no biggy.
What you said about the cessna is what I've seen a lot of people commenting on through hk.
Seems like the only way to get a decent plane is build it yourself from scratch!
I wasn't getting any RTF, don't want the hassle of trying to get rid of the radio when I get the plane, plus can save on costs elsewhere.
I think I will get the icanfly and a P-38 Lightning for later.....
This is what I was thinking as the trainer
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html
or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html and do some building
If I went the cub, any suggestions on the servos, motor etc I should look at?

Johnathan
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!
If you purchase a semi resonable aircraft then your learning/flying experience will be much easier than those who try (and I mean try) to learn to fly with cheep and nasy crap eg: Icanfly aircraft (and I use that term aircraft loosely).
At the end of the day, and I'm sure any one I have taught to fly will reiterate my comments.
If you fly crap your flying will be crap.. and it will take you forever to learn to fly PROPERLY!
If you fly with quality then quality flying is what you will enjoy and your flying experience will be an enjoyable one.
I would not recommend either of the above aircraft.... See above statement!
If you can afford a BNF plane then get one. There is enough to learn with flying a plane without having to make sure you have done all the necessary proccesses correctly while learning to build a plane, When you have learnt to fly and your skills, knowledge and understanding have improved, then you can build a plane..... This is just my personal opinion!
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

So I'm back to the parkzone trojan... pitty i did like the durafly one, but not sure its quite down at training level.
Seems its the trainer of choice....

how about this one?
http://ultimatehobbies.com.au/store/prod...cPath=2_18&products_id=11701

That looks like a pretty good choise, although I have not flown one personally.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks Gaz, I might look at that. It seems like a good idea to get something better rather than cheap. Once I know more then I can possibly get something cheaper n make flyworthy when I know n understand more.
Just keen to get started n learning. I guess the easier I can make my learning the better off I am

Dont get me wrong Johnathan. If you are keen to build your own plane then by all means go ahead, its just that flying a home built, untried and unproven aircraft will only make the learning process slower and harder.
Building an ARF aircraft will help you with a lot of aspects of flight theory that will only improve your understanding and help the learning curve. I just think that the best first step will be a shit load easier with a better than average aircraft during your first phase of learning to fly.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

No that's great. I appreciate the help Gaz and it makes sense.
I do want to build my own, but not until I've played with aircraft and learnt more.
I'd rather do what has been suggested, learn more and talk more as my skills improve. I do like the fms Cessna.
Well hopefully the rain will let up n I can get over a bit more