Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PRCAC Rare Bear racing Team?

(04-12-2012, 07:59 PM)srl Wrote:  Really enjoyed the weekend. Everything I had planed came true!
The reason I was faster was the home build (lighter) Viper running a APC prop. Its very easy to fly good when your faster. You also need a good reliable caller.

srl

You were certainly in great form Steve and flying the course well. I can see from the video that you had the best line. Micheal Towell wasn't that far behind but he couldn't match it. He was flying a light scratch built Viper as well.

It was great to see the blokes from PRCAC put a bit of pressure on the competition!! I enjoyed my self too and reduced my time with the rarebear. I was well pleased with that and having a no damage weekend was pretty good. Well apart from shaking a tip fin off Claudio's X-8 fortunatly it wasn't too serious.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

We now go to the on board replay with Mr Intel.

http://youtu.be/Ryq_6SIDkaA

srl

that was awesome mate .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

As an old friend from "Laugh In" used to say..... "VERY INTERESTING"

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Gotta Love that video.
Steve that's your Viper that laps him on the last lap ??

Nice one !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Here's some highlights edited together from the same weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW7kucB0ZPk&feature=g-crec-u

The Tony's have just put this one up.

I must get my F400 out again one day.
This one is really loud so turn the volume right up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cLL94ickUEw#!

srl

That is really shifting along!! probably doing 250-280 Clicks !!
It's a very nice looking field they have there at Maitland !!

It's all on again !! Bring your Fun Fighters and if you havn't got one order one now !! Get a spare while you at it !!

NSW Pylon Kicks off for the year on the 2nd and 3rd of March at Nowra!!
Looks like all calsses will be flown so there sould be some really fast action from
the Q-40s and some simply insane speed form the F3Ds as well as some great fun with FFCs
and close exciting & competive racing in Q500.

The big question is, can SRL once again stamp PRCAC on the map as a force to be reconed with and take the honers in Q-500 class for a second concetutive time?

Details available at http://www.nswpylon.org/calendar.html

Then following Nowra on the 17th it's our electric PYLON raceing day at McCoy field!
Get behing the sticks of your trojan or some fast foam and join us for the flying of the WILLOWS CUP TROPHY RACES.

Note the mention on nswpylon.org s calender page as well.

Pylon at Nowra is on this comming weekend for directions check out NSWpylon.org

I'm getting my Vipers sorted out a little better each time I had them out on the weekend blowing the cob webs off them. did a few tewaks to the Rarebears as well

Thanks for filming Claudio !!!

http://youtu.be/g42AtR31OyI

Also getting the Vipers ready. I want to keep them just above min weight (1580g)). I've put a new 5cell battery in it replacing a 15 year old 4 cell, but I'm only expecting the servos to go faster! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Pack.html
My trim flight will be 10 min before the race.
srl

I really need more practice with the Viper you can see from the video I'm over often turning around pylon 3. Hopefully after some practice on Satturday I'll find some better form for racing on Sunday.

I changed the aileron rates a little each flight and That's made fair bit of difference for the better.
I gues we'll see how we go on the day Smile

(28-02-2013, 05:09 AM)secant0give Wrote:  Pylon at Nowra is on this comming weekend for directions check out NSWpylon.org

I'm getting my Vipers sorted out a little better each time I had them out on the weekend blowing the cob webs off them. did a few tewaks to the Rarebears as well

Thanks for filming Claudio !!!

http://youtu.be/g42AtR31OyI

watching this video , i'm very tempted to buy a viper and add a little bit of secret wingtipper know how , to live you in the rear veiw of the tail plane .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Here is my secret know how.

Quote:Quote from wingtipper

watching this video , i'm very tempted to buy a viper and add a little bit of secret wingtipper know how , to live you in the rear veiw of the tail plane .

Well ole' mate you better get your self a Trojan or similar or RareBear and perhaps a SpareBear ready for the 17th Smile

It's not far off now

Tomorrow (friday) week I'll be down at the field with the course set up for some practice. Come along and bring some fast foam !! Smile

If you want to get a Viper check out philshobbyshop.com I did a lot of looking to try and find the best prices and postage
He sells on ebay as well sometimes for even less than his store prices. I got my engines airframes and servos all from there.

very nice srl , and secantogive .

Nice Work Steve, very Neatly done !!

No wonder it's on the minimum weight, looking at the set of scales in the second pic and that big stack of Balsa to pick through for the lightest sheets !!

Imagine how quick it would be with a Graupner prop Smile

Racing at Nowra was great fun last weekend !!
The weather was a little less than perfict with rain on and off Satturday but Sunday was reasonably dry with a decent bit of wind tho'

I didn't get to take much video as I was flying and calling.

Here's so video of JAG doing a few fast laps with the RareBear The last 20 seconds will give an idea of how windy it was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1AGrX-mNh4

and some pics I took from the weekend

awesome . !!!!! love it . i can see a few more rarebears on order for me altleast .

A man that's Keen, that's what I like to see!! Smile

Time to start thinking about Maitland which is on the 14th of April

Apparently it's an electric scale and racing day. Ian tells me that they have an hour of racing alternating with an hour of normal flying and the promises to be some nice scale models there as well.

It should be a good day !!

The Don MacIndoe field is on the Raymond Terrace Road east of the Golf Club and next to the Maitland cemetery. At East Maitland, turn north on High Street, turn right onto Raymond Terrace Road.
S32.75 E151.61 roughly.

I'm almost certainly going to go. I'm not sure weather to leave extra early on the 14th of go up on the 13th and stay over night. maitland is only about 1 hour and 45mins drive north from seven hills

The rarebear and the spare bear have been given a good going over for the maitland Pylon day this comming Sunday.

Motors have been removed and the rotors nicely balanced two new (and legal mind) APC 5x5 props have been finely balanced and fitted to each plane. The spinners have been modified to fit the APC props and each one carefully balanced as well.

I've also been busy making up some of farings for the aileron control linkages. These are nice thin light glass mouldings held on with CA here's a pic of the mould and of them fitted to the plane.

According to Martin Hepperle this should make a big reduction in drag.

See File

Here's some pics too

And here's a pic of the mould I made to make them. It makes a long section of the profile and after it comes out of the mould it can be trimmed to shape to suite what ever linkage needs to be faired.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

They look good, and nice Job.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I'm putting a few more in the in mould this week.
I should have a few ready if Anyone wants to fit them for Sunday
It's the work of a just a couple of minuets to zap and kick them on.

Bloody hell Jason,you really go the extra mile to get ride of that drag... nice job mate. Any idea how much of an increase in top speed you might get out of said deflectors?

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

It's hard to say what extra pace I'll get with them on, in number terms.
But when you think about it like this. Drag goes up as the square of the speed
so any reduction in drag will make exponentionally more difference the faster it goes.

In theory and in the wind tunnel 4 sets of un-faired linkages is about equal to the drag of the whole tail plane so two faired linkages should be quite an improvement. Haveing everything nicely balanced makes a huge difference as well. The air frame has been sanded smooth as well so it all adds up.

The thing is, I know I can't quite fly as good a course as most of the pylon guys, when everything is equal then they go past me with regularity, but I can give them a hurry up when my little plane is a little bit quicker than theirs and that keeps them on their toes. Just wait and see, if perhaps I can get under 100 seconds for the 10 laps, then there will be cries, long and loud, of RUBARB RUBARB and Mumble mumble PSI.. Smile

Gonna include chevrons to reduce trailing edge turbulence?

Think of all that spoilt air ruining your tailplanes drag coefficients! Biggrin

I'm going to have to google that now Kizza Smile

(08-04-2013, 04:37 PM)secant0give Wrote:  I'm putting a few more in the in mould this week.

I'd happily take a pair if you're offering!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(08-04-2013, 10:17 PM)Claudius Wrote:  
(08-04-2013, 04:37 PM)secant0give Wrote:  I'm putting a few more in the in mould this week.

I'd happily take a pair if you're offering!

No probs Claudio I'll lay some up for you

(08-04-2013, 06:48 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Gonna include chevrons to reduce trailing edge turbulence?

Think of all that spoilt air ruining your tailplanes drag coefficients! Biggrin

Looks like Big Bruce may be using them on the TE of some of his props http://www.bigbruceracing.com/electric/index.html

Attached Files
.jpg sawtooth.jpg Size: 65.42 KB  Downloads: 117