Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PRCAC Rare Bear racing Team?

Nswpylon.org are organizing a few electric only races this year the first in March.
Anyone interested in forming a club team?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1574974

The Rare bear is more suited to the larger fields. Not really any mods to go fast just APC 5x5.

srl

That sounds like an excenent idea !!
Should be a blast. Hopefully mine will arrive soon According to HK it's been shipped Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I Know everyone is getting the Rare bear but isn't This the same and the same Flying Characteristics as the rare bear. same specs ?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=19734

and here is the Rare bear pic

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

The date I've been told by email is 31st March/ 1st April. So plenty of time to get one in the air.

Just have a read of the reviews. Some of the high-spec warbirds wings fall off on 4S. Then they go really fast.

srl

Not as sleek Stephen...

well i thought all you guys were crazy when i seen the fun jets . . now we have RARE BEARS !!! WTH!!
guess i'll see soon enough

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Frank, there is such a plane in real life. It's not the Chinese thinking of a new model name.
[Image: rare_bear.jpg]

SRL, what prop are we best off running on the rare bear?

Mine is almost ready to go, just got to cut some vent hole in it for cooling air to the ESC,
about to do that now Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

APC 5x5 , replace the spinner with a round prop nut if you can.

srl

Thanks SRL !!
I'll have a look and see if I can find a round prop nut in bunch of parts,
I'm guessing that this for better air flow for cooling? I'm not sure how well balanced the spinner is on my model it seems to have a bit of a vibration about it. could be the prop as well. Frown

I gave it a bit of a test fly here at work this morning. I must say I was very disiplined with the use of the throttle, It's only a small field here.
I reckon the recomended 30 mm back from the LE at the wing root is a little far forward for the C of G. I only had just enough elevator to make it flair for landing. Also with the c of G in this position and trimmed for level flight at just under a half throttle, It would up noticably when the juice was poured on.

I must say it is great fun to fly tho' I've made some adjustements to the throws and expo from the recomended settings and shifted the c of G about 3mm back and I'll give it another flight this arvo if it's not too windy.

Do You Think the 5s Setup will be ok ? Wink , 6s just wont Fit.

Finally took the Plunge an ordered the Rare Bear

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(22-02-2012, 02:27 PM)samste Wrote:  Do You Think the 5s Setup will be ok ? Wink , 6s just wont Fit.

Finally took the Plunge an ordered the Rare Bear

Steve

Hmmmmmmmm it goes pretty hard with 4S
I don't know how you'll go with the C of G could be OK mkight have to shift the pack back.
It's going to have a high wing loading with a pack like that mine already feels heayish to fly with a 4S 1000 pack but it doesn't do anything nasty in a tight turn so it make take the extra weight and fly OK ???
No promises tho' My ESC is quite hot after a short flight and by no means pushing it hard with 4S. I've got no heat shrink on the ESC at all, I cut it off and I'm holding the sandwich together with three micro cable ties

The motor on mine was shockingly out of balance, I managed to correct it by filling the gap between the magnets on the light side with Zap and spraying with kicker. Hope it holds Smile It still seems to growl at a certain rev range I don't like that much. It's like some weird sort of resonance.

I found It flew better with the c of g slightly more than 30mm aft of the LE at the fuse and it needed a little more elevator throw than they suggest other wise i'd have to land it at mach 1.5

I am now a Proud Father of a new rare bear that got Delivered Today, complete with nano 45c-90c 4s 1000ma Lipos

Now to Custom it For Pure EVIL Icon_twisted
Leds on wings, smoke machine to tail, Big Teeth at Front, series up twin 4s lipos.

Steve Smile

Thinking of the pylon racing, not that I'm anywhere near ready to consider it, but I've heard of people in real flight using trimmed P51 Mustangs. Or there was the original Bee Gee... would either of those work? I'm assuming things like the Edge 540 great for aerobatics, but just don't have the top end speed needed for pylon racing?

Pylon racers all have a few things in common, they are small wings, very little drag (because they get their lift from speed not aerodynamics) and big power plants.
Thats all about all there is to it. As you suggested they are difficult to fly and are certainly not for beginners. But if you want one.... GET ONE.... they are off their guts!!
Just hang onto it until you get some experience.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Agree with gazz, Great to Fly but not really a trainer / Beginner Plane.
But Certainly you will have Fun when your Ready.
I'm Even Nervous to Fly It and i flown many Planes very very very fast.
But This Rare bear is So Tiny, Orientation is definately going to be a Factor from a distance without some Bright Color Scheme.

I have Started the Build and Installed a 30 Amp 3-4s eflite Speedy i had floating around which is a lot lighter than the stock esc and Glued all bits together and connected RX and dialled in. Reglued all control surfaces.

Esc Cooling ? Cog ? Rates ? also thinking of ditching Black nose cone when i fit 5x5 apc prop

Color Scheme or LED strip light or both ?

EDIT.......................

Just did a amp Test on Setup 5x5 Prop

26.37 Amps 15.38vm 405.5 watts, I Reckon the Stock Speedy Is Holding Back The Amps or its Running way over the 20 amp limit into the burst amps of the Speedy

Added Light Ribbon To Tail

Hmmm I do like the idea, but yes I will start with my nice stable trainer first. N then look into warbirds n talk to you artful builders, n look at building a few things from scratch, including a pylon racer.

Did you see the clip of Franks one flying the other day
It fairly hoots along!!

find it here a couple of posts back (best viewed in full screen mode)
http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=91&pid=11996#pid11996

will have to have a look at home!!
At least then I can throw the sound on! Will make it much more interesting.

So my rare bear maiden Today was Interesting.
First Flight was a handful with my control throws way too much but landed hard but safely without damage.

Control throws rates cut to 60% and some extra expo i was away again.
Running 3s on 6x5 prop it screams. an cog is spot on and floats in no drama at all.
Running 4s on 6x5 prop is scary fast with a noticeable torque roll on full throttle at ballistic speed. But needs to be flown in for landing as the extra weight of lipo makes a difference.

Spray painted ribbon on tail with fluro Orange As well as Fluro Yellow for the top Wings and i have no problems with orientation from far away.

6 Flights today and very Impressed, Thinking this would look scary at night with Leds as a night Flier but i think the extra weight would give it grief but.

SteveSmile

At night, wouldn't you lose it? Lights flashing past at >200km/h combined with the blink of an eye in moment of orientation panic would surely make you Rare Bear very rare - as in "where has it gone?"

...... and it was never.. seen.. again.

(22-02-2012, 07:56 AM)srl Wrote:  APC 5x5 , replace the spinner with a round prop nut if you can.

srl

I noticed in your Rare bear Picture Steve you look like you installed Rudder, yes ?

I was thiunking this also would help in the high speed torque roll i'm noticing or is the rare bear just going to quick to cope on my set up. ?

Quote:Posted by Skidz - Today 08:04 AM
At night, wouldn't you lose it? Lights flashing past at >200km/h combined with the blink of an eye in moment of orientation panic would surely make you Rare Bear very rare - as in "where has it gone?"

Yeh no a good idea i guess , as well the extra weight won't help the rare bear much either considering 15 gms per metre of leds and i would want to put on at least two strips on top and underside main wing and then tail and one length ways. a total of 3 metres plus wiring 60 grams id reckon total.
My Typhoon night Flier has 6 metres of leds and can see it no Dramas.

Steve

Those leads are suprisingly easy to see in the dark!
You could allways have them set up to turn off with the gear switch
and shut them down for a second here and there, for some real thrills !! Smile

Yeh Jason There Super Bright leds , Ingo has seen it at night in Action, Its actually easier to fly with the orientation at Night than it is at daytime because of the color scheme.
red on top blue on bottom and green on tail.
I have my typhoon pic in Avatar on gear switch control and yes have done it before, pretty freaky when you do a blender dive and switch off for a few seconds and then on again.

Steve

We did a 4 x Bear demo yesterday at Appin. It appeared to be the highlight of the day. One guy wanted to buy four on the spot but none were for sale, every thing else was in peoples boots!
John H will follow with some photos.

First race is in two weeks.

Steve its a 5x5 APC.
I was the only one with rudder down there.

srl NSWpylon.org

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oller.html

This is the Speed Controller that I gave Kev J to use in His rare Bear That works a Treat with No Timing Issue Frank and Runs Cool after a Hard Workout. Plus Very Light.

Steve

All ready for its first race. Just added some paint and got rid of some stickers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1613129

srl

(31-03-2012, 05:05 PM)srl Wrote:  All ready for its first race. Just added some paint and got rid of some stickers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1613129

srl

Looks Good like a Real Little Pylon Racer.
I'd Love To Go but have committments after Lunch.
Love to see some Pics if You Get Some of The day.

I shall Keep Practising, And will get to go to one Hopefully in Near Future as i have never been to an Pylon Event and very Interested.

Steve

Thanks for that steve, It seems to be on back order though. I might try a super brain 40 amp that I've got lying around. Hope it works.

Guys Just a Heads Up,

Re - Rare Bear Setups.

From some Testing and Trying different Esc's and Lipos i have Noticed that in actual Fact the motor setup is sweet for 3s But 4s its Running way over the specs.

How Do I know this, i have found that when you are full throttle on 4s setup. the Standard Esc is blocking all the extra current to the motor and is running in burst zone of the Esc.

I found this out on my on my eflite as i thought it was maxing at 38 amps on my 30 eflite esc but that was its burst max zone. Hence the reason for it burning out when you are full throttle, it just too long and too much, as it cannot get rid of the heat and its stopping any excess current to motor..

I have thrown in a 50 amp Esc and sure enough i drawing now 56 amps on full throttle.

I'm Using Nano Techs that can produce 45-90 amps so hence the amps just pour into the motor.

Here is some Tests Data all 1000ma lipos

Using 50 amp esc and stock motor and a Watt meter

5x5 prop 3s turnigy 20-30c 23 amps full throttle

5x5 prop 3s nano tech 45-90c 30 amps full throttle

5x5 prop 4s nano tech 45-90c 56 amps full throttle 769 watts

4.75 x 4.75 prop 4s nano tech 45-90c 51 amps

4.5 x 4.5 prop 4s nano tech 45-90c 41 amps

Rare Bear Stock prop 4s nano tech 45-90c 58 amps

i am Now Thinking that a 30 esc is prob what you would want to put in as it will limit the amps to max 40 which in turn will protect the motor from burning out.
But in Turn you will burn out the esc if pushed too far.

Can this stock motor cope with 56 amp bursts, will it stay cool enough ? I think Not !

Possibly need to re think the way to fly the rare bear in short bursts at high speed and plenty of esc cooling.

Possibly fit the a lower Amp Esc to outside of the body for full cooling so in burst limit zone it won't over heat and reduce max amps to motor.
Or Limit Throttle max on Tx to a safer amp level.

Alternately change flying habits with rare bear, do one fly and let esc cool before next flight on 4s

I'm Curious when they produce these high spec setups did they actually try a higher amp esc and see the actual current drawn by motor and prop configuration or they thought people will fly only in short full throttle bursts.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF MY TEST DATA IS WRONG AS I HAVE DONE THESE TESTS BASED ON A ASSUMED GOOD WORKING ORDER STOCK MOTOR

Steve.

EDIT 03/05/2012
I believe the Results above are a Clear Indication of a Faulty Motor windings and a Esc issue caused by faulty motor as new Tests Reveal with new Stock Motor and New 35 amp esc testing at Full Throttle yet with old esc same results -

New Test Results
28 amps 400watts on 4s 1000ma lipo 45-90c, 6x5 apc prop