Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PRCAC Rare Bear racing Team?

G'day Steve

50+ amps thrown at a rare bear? That's just diabolical.
I am trying to reconcile that to my 2m 4kg cub that draws under 40 amps.
Seems incredibly inefficient?

Cheers
Rob B

(21-04-2012, 10:01 AM)rob air Wrote:  G'day Steve

50+ amps thrown at a rare bear? That's just diabolical.
I am trying to reconcile that to my 2m 4kg cub that draws under 40 amps.
Seems incredibly inefficient?

Cheers
Rob B

Rare Bear speedy info -

My Fiqures are spot on and i have a smoked out motor to prove it.
Uping the speedy to 50 amps lets all the power into the motor.
I flew it on 3s not a problem 5x5. 30 amps
I flew it with 4s 45-90c lipo and 50+ amps killed the motor witrhin the second turn at full throttle.
Trail Smoke Motor it was, which i expected to happen but i thought id give it a try and a quick landing as they don't like to glide to far without power.

Just goes to show the Stock speedy in the Rarebear is limiting actual power to the motor, this is why it gets very hot as its in Burst mode and restricting power when you are in full throttle mode.

I'm curious how they are going in Pylon Racing, i guess they do one 4 min flight then let it cool down before next flight.

I have Temporary Installed a 1250 kv 2820 with 7x6 prop on 4s and it Flies around ok not as fast as original setup.
This Setup Draws 19 amps on 4s lipo full throttle, was flying for ages with this Setup which is to efficient, motor barely gets warm even when full throttle non stop.

Have ordered a 1800kv Hobbyking & 1900kv $4.30 from leader hobby to see what will work the best, both are 4s compatible and high watt rating.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

G'day Steve

Not doubting your data at all mate, if I had a serious electrical question you'd be the first person I'd ask!
I just find it amazing that such a tiny plane can, if given the opportunity, draw 50 odd amps.
I am also getting my head around the esc restricting current draw in the way you describe. Would have thought the speedy would cark it before the motor.
Interesting stuff.

Cheers
Rob B

(22-04-2012, 10:19 PM)robair Wrote:  G'day Steve

Not doubting your data at all mate, if I had a serious electrical question you'd be the first person I'd ask!
I just find it amazing that such a tiny plane can, if given the opportunity, draw 50 odd amps.
I am also getting my head around the esc restricting current draw in the way you describe. Would have thought the speedy would cark it before the motor.
Interesting stuff.

Cheers
Rob B

I Guess the Stock Esc is very Resilient with Heat Sinks on ether side, It seems to handle the short bursts.
Though i tended to fly full throttle most the time.

I am Going to order me another Rare bear, as that way i have a stock version, and the current one i will mod out with new motor.

When i get my new rare bear I going to bench test the stock Rare bear setup as well as Temporary swapping out the speedy with a 60 amp unit to bench test quickly thus not to burn out motor the amp draw to confirm the figures that i Posted.

Unless someone wants to do bench test there rare bear to concur the results.
(Just replace existing ESC to a 60 amp and give it a whirl for a Second on full throttle and see what the Watt meter comes up with)

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Gday Steve

"Though i tended to fly full throttle most the time."
Thanks for pointing that out, I would never have guessed.....
LolLolLolLol

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Twister 3D Storm / Trex 600ESP Airwolf Heli's
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3

(23-04-2012, 12:44 PM)robair Wrote:  Gday Steve

"Though i tended to fly full throttle most the time."
Thanks for pointing that out, I would never have guessed.....
LolLolLolLol

Cheers
Rob B

lol

What there's a Throttle Curve ? Mines set to either on or off Biggrin

Steve

Face it Steve, you're a Marshall amplifier....
Which go all the way to 11.
This is why batteries, esc's and motors secretly hate you Smile

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3

(23-04-2012, 09:10 AM)samste Wrote:  
(22-04-2012, 10:19 PM)robair Wrote:  G'day Steve

Interesting stuff.

Cheers
Rob B

I Guess the Stock Esc is very Resilient with Heat Sinks on ether side, It seems to handle the short bursts.
Though i tended to fly full throttle most the time.

I am Going to order me another Rare bear, as that way i have a stock version, and the current one i will mod out with new motor.

When i get my new rare bear I going to bench test the stock Rare bear setup as well as Temporary swapping out the speedy with a 60 amp unit to bench test quickly thus not to burn out motor the amp draw to confirm the figures that i Posted.

Unless someone wants to do bench test there rare bear to concur the results.
(Just replace existing ESC to a 60 amp and give it a whirl for a Second on full throttle and see what the Watt meter comes up with)

I'll be very interested to see how you go.
I havn't had a chance to look at an alternative motor/ESC combo for my rare bear as it's going sort of OK stock. mine has a weird resonance at about 2/3 throttle it sounds like a timing issue but im not sure??? I might put it on the cro and see what sort of wave form the ECS is putting out. It's not a balance problem as I've balanced the prop carefully. something is a bit weird with it. At full peg it seems OK, I've never tried it with 3S tho' it's only ever run on 4.

I guess I'll have to have a look at it sooner or later Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I'll be very interested to see how you go.
I havn't had a chance to look at an alternative motor/ESC combo for my rare bear as it's going sort of OK stock. mine has a weird resonance at about 2/3 throttle it sounds like a timing issue but im not sure??? I might put it on the cro and see what sort of wave form the ECS is putting out. It's not a balance problem as I've balanced the prop carefully. something is a bit weird with it. At full peg it seems OK, I've never tried it with 3S tho' it's only ever run on 4.

I guess I'll have to have a look at it sooner or later Smile

[/quote]

Very Interesting i did notice that on mine before its burial when i was running 30 amp esc.

Steve

Was that 30A ESC the original one that came with the plane or was that another one you put in?

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Jason That was an eflite 30 amp esc.

Here is some actual specs of Motor very interesting and shop in Sydney for replacement.

http://sydneyrcjets.com.au/motors-c-17/2...ngel-p-330

Specifications:

No. of Cells: 2-3 Li-Po
RPM/V(KV):1950
Max Efficiency: 87%
No Load Current: 11.1V/1.8A
Current Capacity: 18A/20S
Internal Resistance: 0.04 OHM
Dimensions (diameter x length): 28.7x29mm
Shaft Dia: 3.0mm
Weight: 55g
ESC: 18A
Propeller: 5.5*4.5
Pull: 480g
Note: Specifications supplied by manufacturer.

Steve

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

RARE BEAR IS HERE IN AUSTRALIA HOBBYKING WAREHOUSE

Hi Guys

I have Just Replaced my Rarebear Motor with new Stock Rarebear motor from syd rc and Replaced the Esc To http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=24247 35 amp that came in today.

Wattmeter Test comes up Interesting and puzzling but i think may have worked something out, i then temp tested the setup using a Turnigy 80 amp plush.. will publish results after further testing further but it's a bit late at night to do it now but current setup is drawing 28 -32 amps using a 6x5 prop, want to test with 5x5 prop next.

Wanted anyone with Rarebear to do a stock wattmeter test with 4s and if possible, temporary try with an alternate esc and Test,
Please Take note of amps, watts, prop, esc type, lipo type.

Steve

p.s Jason, Do Like the Idea you had of cooling the motor i got something that i will bring down Tommorow.

EDIT 03/05/2012
I believe Previous test Results are a Clear Indication of a Faulty Motor windings and a Esc issue caused by faulty motor as new Tests Reveal with new Stock Motor and New 35 amp esc testing at Full Throttle yet with old esc same results -

New Test Results
28 amps 400watts on 4s 1000ma lipo 45-90c, 6x5 apc prop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rare Bear New Colour Scheme

Steve Smile

Nice Steve. should see that ok..............Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

G'day Steve

28 amps seems more respectable, your original amp draw was as I said previously just diabolical.
Nice work narrowing down the issue!

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3

I reckon we should get a foam box and put about 3 inches of LN2 in the bottom of it
then you can put the rare bare, minus lipo's and minus the canopy, nose first in the box. Then when your ready to fly just whip it out, quickly plug in the lipo's put the canopy on and launch it!!
I reckon it will go a lot harder for the first 3 laps !! ..................and it's not cheeting Wink

Not long to go till Pittown. I got back to work on my new spare today.
You can follow it here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270263&page=37

srl

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(18-05-2012, 07:26 PM)srl Wrote:  Not long to go till Pittown. I got back to work on my new spare today.
You can follow it here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270263&page=37

srl

That looks like a nice plane above Steve Smile

Yes touch and Go's are a lot of Fun, After watching Frank the other Day i was inspired to do it myself, been spoilt with the oval near my place ground and grass so smooth. But with the Prcac Mowing Team and the Grass cut short , should be good.

Prcac limbo Comp a go.

We have Plenty of rarebear owners in the Club, They all better start Practising.Wink

Steve

I'll have to bring mine with me in the morning

G'day Stephen

I see your pylon monster has a v tail. Is that normal for that style of racing?

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3

Lots of Fun Today, with the Touch and go comp laps Biggrin

Steve

lol Today Guys down at the Field , Hot Glue 5 min Fix Rare bear and away i go again touch and go's,
Note larger Props tend to brake eventually on touch and go's, wondering if prop brake will help.

Stephen L heres the link for cheap props and i get most my apc's from here, espeacially my high pitched ones like 7x10 etc

http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_info.p...ler-p-1093

5x5 prop link

or http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_info.p...ts_id=1109

5.25 x6.25

Steve Smile

That was awesome today Steve.
All of us watching were sure your Rare Bear was toast after that accident with it's wing off etc. But a few minutes in the van and she was going again.

I'm certain you've earned the title Grand Master of the Hot Glue gun after that effort.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
E-Flite Ultra Micro MiG-15
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Pylon is on at Pittown this weekend.

We have the field after 12 noon Saturday for practice and all day Sunday for racing. It looks like 3 rounds of war-bird are planed for Sunday.
All the regulars now have Rare Bears.

For more information just ask here:-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270263&page=38

srl

(29-05-2012, 08:00 PM)srl Wrote:  Pylon is on at Pittown this weekend.

We have the field after 12 noon Saturday for practice and all day Sunday for racing. It looks like 3 rounds of war-bird are planed for Sunday.
All the regulars now have Rare Bears.

For more information just ask here:-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270263&page=38

srl

Just picked up my Apc Props that i have fully balanced tip and rim, Ready to go.
Apc 5.25 x 6.25 Speed 400 Prop

Two Q500's and a Rare Bear are ready but it looks like rain again.

srl

Looks Nice Steve.
At first Glance i thought what has he done with one of the q500's, as it looked like only half a tail. But closer look you can see the other half.

Was thinking of heading over at Midday for practice fly, is that right we can with rare bears ?
Address ? Cost ? Time ?

Thanks

Steve

Here it is, one of the best fields in Sydney.
Cost could be free just see Jeremy he will be there at 11.

View Larger Map

Enter from Pittown Bottoms Rd

It's all on again this weekend with good weather.
Details here; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695224