Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FMS Models in Australia

Hi everyone,

I've got my eye on the 1400mm FMS Stuka, and wondered what experiences people had getting FMS models into Australia.

Any places to recommend or avoid?

Thanks.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
E-Flite Ultra Micro MiG-15
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Most if not all of the FMS models I have seen are a very good quality airframe, but they are all let down by very poor quality electronics and the retracts are rubbish.
I have the FMS Trojan and it flies great but I have had to replace most of the servos and the retracts. I know at least 4 other club members aircraft have had major retract failure.
If you want to turn them into good planes you have to spend a bit extra on them.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I've got the FMS 1400mm Stuka but I haven't got the space to build it yet, so it's still in its box. It apparently flies really well (according to the thread on RCGroups) and retracts shouldn't be an issue on this particular airframe.
As Gazz points out, there might be some issues with servo quality but I've not seen many problems reported with the Stuka.

As to suppliers - there are two that I know of ...
Xtreme Hobby in Queensland (http://www.xtremehobby.ashop.com.au/) - you can buy direct from them or through their eBay shop (which is what I did) where the prices are much lower. I paid $242 for mine, but I've seen several Stukas sold over the past couple of weeks for around $200, which is way lower than their list price. The eBay seller name is "yourhobby2009" and it's exactly the same people, selling through eBay. They charge $38 freight to Sydney (... I can't help it, I just pulled the trigger on the 1400mm Corsair last night, got it for $184 which is a good price I think). Some people have reported customer-service problems with this seller though, but I've not had any trouble so far (I think buying through eBay might help with that).

The other guy isn't in Australia, but will ship from Hong Kong and is excellent - the only problem is that the carton size means that postage options are limited and aren't cheap. The seller is Philip from Philip Workshop (http://www.pw-rc.com/) and he has a great reputation. I've bought spares from him before, but not a complete airframe or model.

I don't know of any others.
Good luck with it!

Steve Murray

I bought the FMS Stuka for a freind of mine and he built it and flew it and it looked amazing and flew very nicely. certainly a unique looking warbird. It doesn't have retracts so you wont suffer the problem we had with our Trojans. The ony issue is the battery and electronics hatch was so small it was a tight squeez he had to tape the canopy. you also need to check all your hinges as the first batch the hinges came off the ailerons in flight. I thinnk FMS fixed that in the new batches but I would pull them off and re-glue eppoxy them.

PW-RC is the best on price and delivery out of HongKong but if you cannot get a good price let me know I'll check with my FMS source.
(31-01-2012, 07:40 AM)yarrumevets Wrote:  I've got the FMS 1400mm Stuka , I just pulled the trigger on the 1400mm Corsair last night, got it for $184 which is a good price I think).

(31-01-2012, 07:40 AM)yarrumevets Wrote:  I've got the FMS 1400mm Stuka , I just pulled the trigger on the 1400mm Corsair last night, got it for $184 which is a good price I think).

Hey Steve the Corsair suppose to be awsome, I was watching it on eabay (The grey one) and you need to also build that Suka it does look great flying.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Thanks guys,

It was reading the RCGroups thread that sold me on the idea of the Stuka, looks really scale and seems that it would handle the field size and conditions ok.
I'll definitely reglue the hinges and possibly change out the speedie as well. The reviews that I've read and watched haven't had issues with the servos, but I will keep an eye out for that too, thanks for the heads up.

Sent an email to PW-RC yesterday, but I guess with the lunar new year delays are to be expected. Out of stock on his website just now anyway.

I also spoke with xtreme hobby, and they have 2 in stock, but none on eBay at the moment. They want $295 delivered for one, so I might wait a bit and see if I can get it cheaper elsewhere. ($200 would be really amazing). I'll drop you a line George if I can't find a good price.

And Steve, hope the Corsair goes together easily, she looks like a beaut.

Thanks for the sage words guys.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

I bought my P-40 from Sydney RC Jets at Hornsby for $280, but I feel that this model was one of the earlier planes FMS brought out and as such wasn't the greatest quality. It didn't fit together as well as some other brands I have purchased and like others have said the servo's aren't the best, plus I think the ESC in mine is suspect also. All up not too pleased.

Sydney RC Jets have counter sales and they do carry spares for FMS planes.

http://sydneyrcjets.com.au/propeller-planes-c-7

Chris M

Thanks Chris,

Might duck up there and see what they have.

Angus.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Ah ... by the way, I've just discovered that Brighthobbies at Silverwater are also selling the FMS machines, including the Stuka.
He's got some on eBay at the moment with a starting price of $159 and free delivery. I've dealt with this seller once before and things went very well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170775677522?...K:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Steve Murray

(03-02-2012, 05:20 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Ah ... by the way, I've just discovered that Brighthobbies at Silverwater are also selling the FMS machines, including the Stuka.
He's got some on eBay at the moment with a starting price of $159 and free delivery. I've dealt with this seller once before and things went very well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170775677522?...K:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Hi Steve I pointed this one out to him yesterday and the current bids on it are his.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Good - thanks George. Hope he snares one nice and cheap then Smile

Steve Murray

Yeah, thanks George and Steve.

The auction is going well so far, fingers crossed.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Hey guys,
I won the eBay auction, it should be delivered in a few days with a bit of luck.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice, looking forward to building this beast. Biggrin

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

(05-02-2012, 05:21 PM)ConcreteTurtle Wrote:  Hey guys,
I won the eBay auction, it should be delivered in a few days with a bit of luck.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice, looking forward to building this beast. Biggrin

Well done, good price with free delivery. Hopefully you will not have any electronics issues. Just look at the tight space in the cockpit and plan a Lipo to fit it. good luck and bring it down to the field when its ready.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Cheers George,

I'm already looking at it, would you believe. Delivered at 2pm this arvo, now that is service seeing I only paid for it last night!
I can second Steve's opinion on bright hobbies, very easy to deal with seems like they carry all the FMS stuff too.

Had a look over it, everything seems ok, few things I've noticed so far:
The ailerons and flap hinges are on there pretty tight at first inspection, maybe the issue is fixed? The motor mount seems to be on a little high so the spinner doesn't meet the cowl quite right. The motor is the 600kv version, not 500kv as expected. The undercarriage seems suitably agricultural looking, hopefully it'll be McCoy field tough Wink

Otherwise, looks really sharp with the inverted gull wing and should go together easy I hope.

Thanks all!

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Glad to hear that it turned out well, Angus.

I got the impression from RCGroups that the hinge glue problem had been taken care of during assembly in the factory only a short while after it became known, but I'm pleased that you have given them a close once-over.

I can't remember which motor I've got, but I'm not that bothered about it as the plane apparently flies well on 3S so I'm sure it will be fine. A couple of ground tests with a Wattmeter are practically mandatory before a maiden anyway, so there'll be time to see what's Watt Wink
By the way Angus - please consider starting a build thread and including everything you do in that. It will be a big help to me and probably interesting to others ...

Steve Murray

Hi Guys,

Finally got around to putting the FMS Stuka together, spent the afternoon with Claudio getting things all set. She looks amazing and properly intimidating, the nav lights are a nice touch too.

I had only one issue really, the flap servos all get connected into one 4 way Y-lead. The problem is that if you do this then RHS and LHS servos act opposite, one side retracts while the other extends. I'm wondering if there are meant to be reversed servos on one side, and they weren't fitted in the factory.
No big deal, talking it over with Claudio, I can either use 2 Y-leads and a servo reverser, or give up a channel and use a mix on the flaps.

Hoping to get her up and flying just as soon as my membership gets approved and I've got some time (and confidence) on the trojan...

Check it out, it's HUGE!

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Hi Angus
Looks great mate. On the servos issue, if you need a servo reverser I have 3 of them that I bought for a project that I dont need. If you would like one let me know, they are pretty small and only cost a a few dollars.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

my cessna 182 , is an FMS , i agree with gary , rubbish servos and very cost cutting hardware , you need to replace parts and upgrade componants for any form of longevity with mine anyhow , the airframe was good though , i also think mine was an earlier product ( old stock ) . - banana hobbies had a vid of it saying it was the best 182 on the market for its price ...... nough said

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(04-03-2012, 09:52 AM)gbanger Wrote:  Hi Angus
Looks great mate. On the servos issue, if you need a servo reverser I have 3 of them that I bought for a project that I dont need. If you would like one let me know, they are pretty small and only cost a a few dollars.
Gazz

Cheers Gary,

I think I'll go with a couple of Y-cables and mix reverse flaps on the spare channel, but thanks very much for the offer.

Currently trying to figure out the best way to adjust the servo arms on the aileron servos. They are buried pretty good in the wings.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Thats a good idea Angus but what you have to careful of is the servo mounting!!!
If you are using the same brand/model servos with a Y lead to will still need a servo reverser as they will be working in opposite directions and you cant change that in the radio with a Y lead. You will need a servo reverser for one of them or, turn one of the servos around so the servo arm is on the same side as the on on the other wing. That is the only way to get them working together unless you go and buy a receiver with another channel and do a mix.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Does anyone know if anywhere local would do replacement parts for FMS stuff?

A very helpful family member managed to drop a big sheet of 12mm ply onto my Stuka in the garage, and the fuselage is now in two bits. It's a real shame as it was ready to maiden, just waiting for pilot skill level to do it.

I'm really not sure if it's fixable, but might bring it down the field for some triage advice if no luck in getting replacement parts.

Cheers guys.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Ouch - sorry to hear that Angus.
I don't know of any local suppliers of parts - only Philip Workshop http://www.pw-rc.com/

Steve Murray

Only guys I know that do FMS are those F**ken Wan**rs in Queensland, and you don't even want to think about dealing with them.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks guys,

I think I might bring her down the field for one of you experts to have a look at first. It looks as though Phillip Workshop has stopped carrying spares for FMS sadly. And Gary has the sage advice about dealing with the banana benders. The guy I bought it from, (bright hobbies) just has the kits.

Hot glue gun and CA on standby!

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

I have an FMS Stuka, it won't let you down.. Easy to fly and a pleasure in the sky!