Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

T-28 Trojan - Mid-Air Collision

Time: approximatly 1218 hours

Incident Details:
2 T-28 Trojans were involved in a mid air collision resulting in a near fatal crash of one of the planes, whilst the other managed to limp around and make an emergency landing, suffering damage to the leading edge of the left wing.

After the crashed aircraft was recovered and the pilot rescued from his shatterd cockpit, the black-box data was downloaded for analysis.

Preliminary findings seem to indicate both planes were attemting to occupy the same bit of air at the same time resulting in the collision. The black box data is being release to the public for comments.

First sighting of the on-comming plane

Very High closing speed means that neither pilot had a chance to react

About this time the pilot realised he was in real trouble

The moment just before impact

Finally, Impact.

Here is the complete video of the collision including the crash...

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Thats no moon....

Junior hadn't even got around to getting his gear up from the takeoff ...

I've got that spare wing which you're welcome to have anyway Mick - and a tailplane made out of balsa would be a better option as a replacement in the opinion of humble self, since I notice that Ultimate have a $25+ price tag on theirs.

Let me know when we can meet up some time.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

G'day Mick

Nicely written intro there.
Aircraft attempting to coexist at the same location does seem to always end badly?
The RTSB (Robair Transport Safety Bureau) offers a prelim report for review also.
An RTSB investigator witnessed the collision and was perplexed at the time that one of the mishap aircraft was on a reversed circuit to the active circuit?
Mick that dive into the trees frm my viewpoint was the smoothest most graceful death plunge I have ever seen. As always the sound when it hit the tree was impressive.
Did you have any control at all, on the vid you still seemed to have some throttle on too or was that just windmilling?
Cheers
Rob B
G'day Steve

The "just took off" explains the reversal of circuit.Thumbup
What an insidious little accident?
I think that is one of those ones that will just happen from time to time.
RTSB suggests pilots devote some preflight/ pretakeoff time to planning their entry into the circuit and also their maintenance and exit of the circuit whilst other aircraft are joining/ leaving.
RTSB final summary, shit happens, everyone's happy, T28 Trojans are over represented in the PRCAC mid air count.

Cheers
Rob B

(29-01-2012, 03:56 PM)robair Wrote:  Mick that dive into the trees frm my viewpoint was the smoothest most graceful death plunge I have ever seen. As always the sound when it hit the tree was impressive.
Did you have any control at all, on the vid you still seemed to have some throttle on too or was that just windmilling?
Cheers
Rob B

Once collision happened, my first instinct was to try and pull up to level the plane and hopefully limp home, however there wasn't any up, next I tried to roll (you can see that in the video) but once I realised it was hopeless, I cut the throttle and let it hit the trees...

In hindsight, I may have been able to use the rudder to maybe steer away from the trees, but it all happened so quick there wasn't much time to do much of anything at all...

(29-01-2012, 03:48 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Junior hadn't even got around to getting his gear up from the takeoff ...

I've got that spare wing which you're welcome to have anyway Mick - and a tailplane made out of balsa would be a better option as a replacement in the opinion of humble self, since I notice that Ultimate have a $25+ price tag on theirs.

It's no biggie and no hurry, I haven't even looked at it to see whats needed for repairs yet although I might take you up on that wing offer though. I'm happy to give you some $$'s for it though. Balsa tail sounds like an interesting challenge though, may have to look at that.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

No worries Mick - we'll catch up whenever. I don't need any money for the wing, I got it ages ago for a retracts modification which I never got around to completing, so it's yours.

Yes Rob - the takeoff was right to left for a right-hand circuit which was correct at the time, maybe the banking turn into the downwind leg was too tight ... dunno. I've only had one mid-air myself before and that was immediately after we'd agreed on circuit direction and KevB and I moved towards the same space to try and be sensible!

Like you say, sh!t happens - wish it didn't though.

Steve Murray

Wow, that's an amazing video. Even more amazing was the resilience of the T28s.

All the best with the repairs guys.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
E-Flite Ultra Micro MiG-15
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Tut..Tut...Tut....Frown
Guys what happened to the calling and circuit procedures we talked about?
Surprised that it was 2 of our regular fliers too.
As you say Steve shit happens but when it does it's usually expensive.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

(29-01-2012, 05:44 PM)paulj Wrote:  Tut..Tut...Tut....Frown
Guys what happened to the calling and circuit procedures we talked about?
Surprised that it was 2 of our regular fliers too.
As you say Steve shit happens but when it does it's usually expensive.

In defense of Junior, he did call "taking off" - Was just bad luck that he took off into the wind (right to left down the runway) whislt we were doing left hand circuts (left to right down the runway). It was just bad luck that we both aimed for the same bit of airspace at the same time. Unfortunatly I didn't notice him until it was too late.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

The wind was shifting often today. There were quite a few take offs made into the wind that were in the opposite direction to the circuit as breeze shifted from one direction or another.
There was for the most part very good communication on the flight line when I was there (I had 9 flights) and the circuit direction did change mid flight on a couple of occasions, in some semblance of an orderly and informed fashion.
I think there were 5 planes in the circuit at one stage and all was good. Considering the conditions, there were very few problems or even rough landings. I dead sticked into the weeds with no damage and managed to find the big puddle on the edge of the strip for one landing.
As Rob said earlier some times it's just odds if you fly enough missions eventually Murphy will have a hand in things. tho' I think with good situational awareness and communication like we did have today and calling circuit and take off directions loudly and clearly. A good deal of the risk of collision can can be mitigated.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

G'day Paul
Full ground calls would not have prevented this one. It was an interesting case of Mick flying a very tight upwind and Owen taking off and joining downwind rapidly.
If we want to attempt to avoid such things in the future aircraft taking off need to fly a true x wind leg and join downwind near the power lines. Having said that the way the wind was today going near the lines was not advisable.
Neither pilot was flying contrary to club rules and ground calls were made as specified from my perspective.
It was a rare case of a reasonably pure shit happens accident.
Beautifully documented by Micks onboard camera I must add!

Cheers
Rob B

well the cessna has now been improved and the katana 90% finished . 12 hour roster coming in 1 to 2 months ( more days off ) cant wait . australia day rained out , weekends rained out , and working sat and sun this weekend and next , ohh well it'll happen soon i hope , itchin to get some flying in .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Thanks folks for your comments.
I'm fully aware that accidents can/will happen just wanted
to highlight that co-operation and calling are very important at all times on the flight line.
Nice to see that the owners concerned are still able talk about it
and all parties are able to get over it. Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

It's Just not fair, I love a bit of Carnage and i missed out Frown , Possibly a Replay next Saturday for the one's who missed out ?Biggrin

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

It was a spectacular crash Steve. The trojan going down into the trees like a real full size plane crash. It was just a freakish accident and the wind might have played a part in it. As long as no one was hurt no problems, planes can be fixed or replaced.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Mick - are you going to be at the field this weekend mate? I ask because I have that spare T-28 wing (unpainted, white - but of course you can paint it whatever colour suits your scheme). I'll bring it if you're going to be there, otherwise I'll leave it at home so that it doesn't get damaged - just let me know.
Cheers,
SteveM

Steve Murray

i know its ashame , and a sad event , but thanks for posting this , it makes great forum reading , and marvels at modern technology . and keeps us hobbyists extremely enthused .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(23-02-2012, 11:42 AM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Mick - are you going to be at the field this weekend mate? I ask because I have that spare T-28 wing (unpainted, white - but of course you can paint it whatever colour suits your scheme). I'll bring it if you're going to be there, otherwise I'll leave it at home so that it doesn't get damaged - just let me know.
Cheers,
SteveM

I've had a look at the weather forcast for this weekend & it looks fantasic compared to what we've been getting so of course I've been rostered to work both saturday and sunday so unfortunatly, as much as I'd love to be there I wont be able to get down to the field

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Ah ... sorry to hear that Mick.
OK, well I'll keep the wing on ice for you then!

Steve Murray