Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Build Log: First Step

With all the wet weather we've been having lately, I needed a wet weather project. The First Step from RCM&E magazine is designed to be a quick build 3 channel slow flying trainer. After studing the plans I figured I probably had most of the stuff already in the shed so I thought I'd give it a go.

Ok, first thing to do is the elevator and vertical stabiliser and rubber. These are a straight forward build on the plans.

These are allowed to dry before being sanded into shape.

Next step is the "Fuseboom" - combination Fuselage and boom i guess. This is made from 4 strips of ply glued together

then the fuselage cutout and pilots are added from balsa, pinned and glued together.

It is then painted in a nice high visibility yellow.

The pilots are given a paint job as well

Next, a wing half is framed up on the Plans, ribs laid out and glued to the spar. Then the leading edge is glued into place followed by the trailing edge which is in a top and bottom half.

While it is drying, the other half is framed up and assembled in the same way

Finally, both halves are glued together and braced with some ply to give the 2 degree dihedral

Finally, everything is test fitted together before covering

Tail is covered and glued together first

Followed by the main wing. The magazine walks you through the method of shrinking the top followed by the bottom to get the correct dihedral and washout.

Final assembly includes adding the 2 servo's, fixing the motor and velcroing the speed controller and RX to the underside of the boom and she is done.

I didn't get any photo's or video of the maiden down at area 51. I was too worried it might end badly and I'd break my camera. After a short run up she lept into the air. She flew very nicely and very slow. It is going to be a fun plane to just plod around the field with. For what it is designed to be, a sedate, well behaved 3 channel plane it is exceptional although it didn't like the wind too much.

Here is the second flight of the First Start from my carkey camera.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.