Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Glider suggestions

Hi guys,

I've started window shopping for an electric glider for a(nother) possible UAV project. Perhaps in the 7-9 ft wingspan range. Built up construction a must (kit would be ideal). Capable of taking a good deal of extra weight, but not necessarily built for speed - high Lift/Drag critical.

Perhaps something along the line of this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...r_KIT.html

... if it was twice the size, and had a motor pod.

Anyone have any suggestions from previous research or experience?

Requirements too ambiguous? Smile

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Any preference on construction?

In the 3m+ wingspan class you're definitely looking at a composite design unless you sratch build it, shorter wingspan will open up some foam options...

I had the big Hobbyking fox that floated really well, could probably take a bit of weight if it was distributed well.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

I like the look of this with a kitbashed motor pod:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._ARF_.html
Nice big fat wings, seems like alot of internal volume to play with....

And you can't go past a scale drone for use as a drone Wink
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._ARF_.html

In terms of out and out glider performance, I reckon you should speak to Mickey T, I'm sure I've seen him wearing a few gliding champion T-shirts Wink

--Edit--
Forgot to mention Austars down in Sadleir, they have a few gliders worth checking out:
http://www.austars-model.com/display.php...C%20glider#

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Whatever you do, don't buy a parks own radian pro??.

Bob.

(11-12-2011, 09:13 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Any preference on construction?

Not too fussed with the fuselage, but definitely looking for basla/ply with the wings - i.e. built-up/ribbed construction.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

Claudio,

I have one of these in the garage. 2.5m wingspan. You can have it if you want it (free). Probably not quite what you might have in mind but you can convert it to electric.

Thanks Dave - super generous of you. I'll give you a call to perhaps organize a visit to see if it fits the bill.

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

(12-12-2011, 08:41 PM)Skidz Wrote:  Claudio,

I have one of these in the garage. 2.5m wingspan. You can have it if you want it (free). Probably not quite what you might have in mind but you can convert it to electric.

Heh Dave you look different in the picture or is that a male midget to make the glider look bigger Biggrin

P.s Thats One Nice Glider You Have Thumbup

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Yes, that is my brother "Sleepy". No, actually it is a picture off the interweb. Same glider though. It is an Aeroflyte Albatross. It is a high lift slow flying glider - 2ch. Oh, those were the days...

(13-12-2011, 03:36 PM)Skidz Wrote:  Yes, that is my brother "Sleepy". No, actually it is a picture off the interweb. Same glider though. It is an Aeroflyte Albatross. It is a high lift slow flying glider - 2ch. Oh, those were the days...

Very Nice, I'm surprised you don't want to get into gliding again, Area 51 would be a great spot for thermal ling

(13-12-2011, 03:42 PM)samste Wrote:  Area 51 would be a great spot for thermal ling

Indeed it would, mate - could just imagine the warm air coming off that carpark on a summer's day!

Steve Murray

Well, funny you mention that. This glider was actually maidened at Area 51 circa 1995. Back then you made the entire plane from balsa sheets. The wing is superb. Washout is perfect. Bungie launches were the norm. I used vernier calipers and built it slow and good. BNF, PNP and ARF were dreams then. I think this kit was a PIA kit.

It had an altercation with a tree (another Area 51 coincidence?) so there is a small patch in the solafilm on the wing. The fuse took a whack from the resulting free fall. Canopy cracked and the main wing locator bracket epoxied. The fuse is good, the main wing and surfaces are in excellent nick and the balsa has been aged in my garage for 15 years. Too nice to toss it. Fuse will need a bit of work (not much though) around where the wing sits. You need big mutha rubber bands to keep the wing on. ChrisM would be envious.
I got me a TT Soaring Star around 2003 so put the Albatross up on a frame. There it stayed. The Soaring Star was electric and the age of Lipos killed my bungie launching days. So there you go, I flew planes first - not helis.
(13-12-2011, 03:53 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  
(13-12-2011, 03:42 PM)samste Wrote:  Area 51 would be a great spot for thermal ling

Indeed it would, mate - could just imagine the warm air coming off that carpark on a summer's day!

That whingey neighbour would complain about the noise Wink .

(13-12-2011, 12:17 PM)Claudius Wrote:  Thanks Dave - super generous of you. I'll give you a call to perhaps organize a visit to see if it fits the bill.

Actually Dave, on reflection I think I'll pass on your generous offer - it looks too nice and has too many memories to be put through what I have in mind Shock But I will join the growing chorus suggesting you fix it up and bring it out to Area 51 some time!

That said, you actually reminded me that I too already have a built-up 2-channel glider stashed away at home I could use. Was one I started a few years ago; got the wings and tail feathers completed, but life got in the way before the fuselage got done.

It's smaller than what I was after, but probably makes sense to start by kitting that out with a motor and getting it airborne as an RC craft, pull some numbers off it, and then perhaps build another larger wing for it with a similar section for the UAV project (or perhaps another look at one of the austars ones linked above, like the Freebird).

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

I a have a glider design that might fit the bill, only that it's a little small at 1.83m span.
It's of simple construction, foam and ply with one piece, balsa sheeted, foam core wings. It has about 4sqft of wing area, uses a removable power pod, can carry a load and is reasonably slippery tho' not superbly so. I've had some 20 odd min flights thermaling it at times.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Claudio, at a PEMAC swap meet, I bought a Mini Angel 2.6m glider, Balsa wing & fibreglass body. I think I bit off more than I can chew in getting it to flying condition (no electrics supplied) and I need to be more skilled in building to continue. I think I paid $100 (possibly more) but am happy to negotiate below $100 if it is of interest. Cant find a site selling this glider to show RRP but this site at least shows the model http://flight-model.en.alibaba.com/produ...e_toy.html

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

Gday Wayne

At 2.6m glider should not be allowed to have mini in its name.
She looks like a very nice glider.

Gazz pointed this beast out to me last night, it would carry the Claudio FPV rig with much style.

http://www.espritmodel.com/windex-1200c-arf.aspx
Dribble...

Cheers
Rob B

Now that is a nice glider, very much upping the size, but ouch, has upped the ante somewhat. Maybe he could go one of these http://www.gfa.org.au/imis15/GFA/Classif...979#single

Hi Claudio, Mini Angel wing ribs are first covered with balsa & then film, making it impossible to see the ribs. Poking a carbon rod down the wing spar hole, I was able to determin ribs are spaced approx 6.3 cm apart. If you email me your phone no or address I can arrange for you to see it before you decide on a purchase (no obligation)

(16-12-2011, 08:44 PM)robair Wrote:  At 2.6m glider should not be allowed to have mini in its name.

Hard to argue with that. Smile

(16-12-2011, 08:44 PM)robair Wrote:  Gazz pointed this beast out to me last night, it would carry the Claudio FPV rig with much style.

http://www.espritmodel.com/windex-1200c-arf.aspx

And perhaps small child! Anyone game to fly that at McCoy? Biggrin

(17-12-2011, 03:57 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Poking a carbon rod down the wing spar hole, I was able to determin ribs are spaced approx 6.3 cm apart.

Thanks Wayne. I probably should just try to get my other glider going first... but that does sound close to perfect. I'll aim to give you a call sometime during the week.

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

Like I said, no obligation, will not break the bank if not sold & can be stored until I gain confidence in its build.
By the way Stinson is no longer up a tree (your signature)

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8