Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yokosuka E14Y build log

Ready for paint

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(24-01-2012, 12:04 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Ready for paint

Jason, If it will be ready for A-day, post details for a sign.

(24-01-2012, 03:26 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  
(24-01-2012, 12:04 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Ready for paint

Jason, If it will be ready for A-day, post details for a sign.

Yes it will, Kevin still has the can of peas, that he's going to finish off paint work on today.

All the radio gear is in, floats are on. Radio needs to be set up still, duel rates, expo ect, which I will do at lunch time.

Here's a Pic of the E14Y sporting Kevins fine paint work and with the floats on !!

Signage details are as follows:

SCRATCH BUILT
YOKOSUKA E14Y1
WWII RECONNAISSANCE FLOAT PLANE
Wingspan: 1100
Overall Length: 880 mm
Motor Size: 42-40 960W 1300 Kv brushless outrunner
Battery: 4S 1800 mAh
Construction Material: EPS, EPP, Depron Foam.
Experience Level: Intermediate

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

All ready to go now, cowl on last of the struts fitted. Radio set up
Ready for a test flight. Certainly has enough power to taxy along the work shop floor with aurthority at less than 1/3 throttle.
I reckon it will leap into the air off the grass.

(26-01-2012, 03:31 PM)secant0give Wrote:  All ready to go now, cowl on last of the struts fitted. Radio set up
Ready for a test flight. Certainly has enough power to taxy along the work shop floor with aurthority at less than 1/3 throttle.
I reckon it will leap into the air off the grass.

Looks great Jason

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(26-01-2012, 03:31 PM)secant0give Wrote:  I reckon it will leap into the air off the grass.

And one of the few planes that can fly out of McCoy at the moment. When's the maiden?

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(26-01-2012, 05:51 PM)Claudius Wrote:  
(26-01-2012, 03:31 PM)secant0give Wrote:  I reckon it will leap into the air off the grass.

And one of the few planes that can fly out of McCoy at the moment. When's the maiden?

Probably Saterday, Hopefully Kevin will be there as he's got the canopy and we should be right to go. Smile

I weighed it this afternoon, it comes in at 1.4Kg well it's 1360g that allows another 40g for the canopy.
That gives us 50oz all up and with a wing that's 41"X9" that should mean a wing loading of about 20oz per sqft which is not too bad

(26-01-2012, 03:31 PM)secant0give Wrote:  ... Certainly has enough power to taxy along the work shop floor with aurthority at less than 1/3 throttle.
Ha - I'm not surprised with a motor rated at almost a kilowatt on 4S Smile

Steve Murray

It just follows my usual philosophy, useing the lightest batery pack you canget away with for a 4 min flight, with a little margin and the biggest motor that will put the C of G in the right spot.

Hi Jason, I am hoping to be at McCoy around 9am, r u still interested in flying the GLEN this Saturday?

KevB

(27-01-2012, 07:24 PM)Servo Wrote:  Hi Jason, I am hoping to be at McCoy around 9am, r u still interested in flying the GLEN this Saturday?

KevB

Yes I'm keen to test it out I'll try to get down there for a little while. I've got a fairly busy day tho' so sadly I won't be able to stay for long tho'

Here's your maiden, well, atleast the part of it...

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Thanks for taking and posting the video Pete!!
Those iphone do take quite good video don't they?

You did well to get that that bit of film and also gave me a bit of a hand with the rate switches & trims.
Thanks again !!
THE MADEN FLIGHT REPORT

She managed the take off from the grass strip no probs at all just skidding on those floats. After the throttle was opened up she just launched along the freshly mown grass with great authority, needing only a very short take off roll to get into the air.
She needed a good amount of up trim and the rates were way too high I'd set up high and low rates and needed to switch to low ASAP but was holding on a heap of up elevator to keep her in the air. Fortunately Pete was able to lend a hand with that and as he was also manning the video camera it meant that we didn't get much of the first part of the flight on film. It wasn't a very long flight as it turned out. Just at she was looking roughly trimmed the Speed controller got really hot and started surging the revs up and down, needless to say it was time to land. The ESC is going to be replaced by a bigger one very shortly.
landing was relatively uneventful it's a reasonably draggy model so it sinks in easily I would have liked to have poured a little more juice on just before she touched down to reduce the vertical speed a bit but the ESC would have none of it.
All in all I guess a successful test flight with no damage done and some lessons learnt.

Wow that was a while ago
I still have the plane and it’s in flying order
It’s only had a few flights. Here some video of it that I didn’t get to post on here

https://youtu.be/o2yJ1m4FWiQ