Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FMS T-28 Trojan (... with some build issues)

I'm digging out this old thread (with a slightly altered title, hope you don't mind Dave). I thought it might make sense to have a go-to thread for this model.

After a lot of procrastination (and some beer) I pulled the trigger on this one - been wanting one for ages ...

I didn't like the prices from locally available sellers so I went to "Philip Workshop" (http://www.pw-rc.com). It's going to be on the doorstep for $306 which is good compared to local sellers (they seem to be about $370 + postage). Also, Philip is selling the V3 model with the 580KV motor (as opposed to 500KV) and two more realistic looking crew - not sure what the other updates are.

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/cP...ts_id/3109

You only live once ... although the Missus will probably be trying to cut my time short if she happens to be around when the delivery arrives Biggrin

Steve Murray

Good purchase Steve. Its a great airplane. I just hope they have improved the electronics a little.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

now thats a TROJAN Steve !

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

I'm a dead man walking at the moment because I fessed-up to the Missus - but ... in the mean time I'm thinking about paint-jobs Wink

You're both right George and 'tipper - I asked Philip if an "airframe only" version was available, but he replied that he didn't have any. Oh well, the full-house version will do! I can't wait to get it assembled ...

Steve Murray

Welcome to the club Steve... you might be a little concerned about the ramifications ie: a few nights on the couch, but once you get the big T into the air, you will have a smile a mile wide.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

That's what I'm thinking too Gazz Wink

Steve Murray

hahahahah . i know the sound of that music , what worries me is usually when i buy something , i'm already wondering how i'm going to avoid the heat of the next one .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Yes Frank - I think it "comes with the territory", as the saying goes.
Well, the occasional boot in the balls reminds me when I've over-stepped the line - otherwise I'm just shooting in the dark because I don't know. I'd rather get a swift kick when I'm fully aware of what I've done ... and in this case, I'm up to speed. I'm ready for a hiding and I know it's gunna be worth it Smile

Steve Murray

Nice V3, 580kv Motor will give it that extra Power on 4s nicely.

Is the prop The Same stock Size as the older Versions ?

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Yes Steve, it's the same prop and I was thinking the same thing about it being good on 4S (I hope). I guess I'll have to do a bit of testing anyway.

Steve Murray

yeah i think the 500kv was introduced with the 4 bladed prop , in which case most people take it off add a 3 blader and go 5s . in this case i think you'll be right on 4s . A better package .

updates Smuzz ?

Haven't been able to assemble it yet 'tipper because I can't store the thing once it's all built Frown
This is a problem which I expect to have fixed within about a fortnight though ... new shed being built Smile ... or as the "gender theorists" would insist, a "man cave".

Steve Murray

ahahahahhaha . i couldn't help but laugh !! what a compromising position .

I hope its a bloody big "Man Cave" Steve, you gotta make sure your squadron have room for growth!
My missus has been giving me a hard time latley because my "Squadron" appears to be overflowing and taking over the spare bedroom.... you gotta love that!!!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Yes Gazz - I hear you Wink
It could never be too big for my liking, but I've got to make do with 20 m2. I think I might do what Mandom does and just have a fire sale whenever it gets crowded. Jeez I can't wait until it's complete though, there's so many things I wanna get started on.

Steve Murray

I hope they've all got wings, or something thereabouts!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Hi guys

I have bought from this guy before and had no problems, he sends out of Bexley somewhere. 3 days from posting to doorstep.

http://www.rchighperformancehobbies.com....cts/fms030

$319.80

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

I finally got to join this club today. According to Philip Workshop (http://www.pw-rc.com) where I bought it, it's the v3 edition. Has a 580kv motor and hums along reasonably well on the stock setup with 4S. Eventually I'll up-it to 5S but for the moment it goes pretty well as is. FMS seem to be steadily improving and refining their offerings - even the assembly manual was reasonably good.

A nice model, no doubt about it Smile

Steve Murray

(20-10-2013, 04:52 PM)smuzz Wrote:  I finally got to join this club today. According to Philip Workshop (http://www.pw-rc.com) where I bought it, it's the v3 edition. Has a 580kv motor and hums along reasonably well on the stock setup with 4S. Eventually I'll up-it to 5S but for the moment it goes pretty well as is. FMS seem to be steadily improving and refining their offerings - even the assembly manual was reasonably good.

A nice model, no doubt about it Smile

I would have to say it's the best of the Trojans at the field, to date. Great speeds on 4s can't to see it fly on 5s.
I'm very impressed with FMS, as you said today, they seem to be listening to what we have to say via Forums.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Yes Chris - FMS are clearly making an effort with their products. It creates the impression that they're in the business for the longer term, and not out just to make a quick buck. They've still got a way to go before they're going to be on an equal footing with the Eflites and the Parkzones in terms of "out of the box reliability" but they're getting there.

Steve Murray

An update on this model for those who are interested ...

I ripped all the LEDs and wiring out because I wasn't keen on it for this particular plane. I also removed the two servos for the cowl-flaps which were a fancy feature but which couldn't be seen from the ground, so I'll glue those shut. This amounted to 43g of stuff which I think was baggage as well as making for a messy wiring situation under the hatch.

I flew it again today - but I've still got some spade-work to do with it. The little inner retract doors don't seem to close properly and tend to hang down in flight. They can be clearly seen on a low pass - think I might remove them completely unless I can be satisfied that I can tweak the little wires which are used to open/close them. Overall, the retracts are pretty sturdy so far though.

I adjusted the throws on the flaps to increase them, they work pretty well. In fact, perhaps too well as on both my landings today the plane lifted off the ground again even though it had settled down on the runway - it wasn't a bounce, it just wanted to do a touch and go even though I didn't have that in mind.

The 580 kV motor is good enough for reasonably satisfactory flying on 4S. I'm flying it on 3000 mAh batteries and keeping the flights short while I test things out. It climbs pretty well - probably close to scale but I'll definitely move to 5S once I get a few other things sorted out. I remember the way my Durafly Trojan used to behave when I gave it (an unauthorised) increase by one cell - fantastic!

I think I need to look closely at the motor too, because it won't idle - it spins the prop but as soon as I move the throttle to zero, the prop stops suddenly without windmilling as I would expect it to. It seems to have heaps of stiction and I might have to pull it apart and ensure that there isn't a loose magnet or winding causing some trouble.

Lastly, I've been out of action for long periods over the past six months (my last flight before today was about seven weeks ago) and flying a new model which is different in size and dynamics to most of my previous ones means I need to get back into the saddle with more stick time.

Steve Murray

Check your ESC's motor brake isn't on

Thanks mate - yes, I should reset the thing and do the end-points at the same time. I must be getting old ....

Steve Murray

(14-12-2013, 10:03 AM)kizza42 Wrote:  Check your ESC's motor brake isn't on

Needless to say, you were quite right Kizza. I've never set the brake ON an ESC before (never used a folding prop) and the manual promised me that the default was brake OFF, which is why I was suspecting something sinister with the motor. However, after going through all the beeps and chirps it's all sorted out properly now.

Thanks for that - I broke the fundamental troubleshooting rule by not going for the simplest hypothesis first! I'll refer to my avatar again.

Steve Murray

I did some static testing of the stock power-train this afternoon.

The 580kV motor on 4S was drawing a steady 55A at full throttle. This means about 825W with the voltage sagging to roughly 15V under load. This also means the stock setup offers a bit over 160W per 500g which is healthy.

I then decided to warily run it up on 5S - bloody hell - it was roaring at 50% throttle and drawing 40 A at that point, but with the higher voltage the power transferred was also about 800 W. I didn't go any higher than about 60% throttle because it was becoming a wild beast and I would like to check the integrity of the motor mount before I go any further. I'll have to also check the motor specs to see what it can tolerate. I've put my plans to run it on 5S on hold for the moment because I want to get another prop and hub assembly and install some shims under the trailing edges of the blades to reduce the pitch a little. A work in progress ...

Steve Murray

Well, I'm happy - I had two flights out at Hart Field today and things went like clockwork.

The extra space at both ends of the field gave me plenty of time to get things organised for the landings and without the brake on it was easy to get the right amount of throttle on for landing without the motor stopping and me having to get it spinning up again. Pulled off two greaser landings, one from each direction - happy with that. It means I don't think I need to fiddle with the throws for the flaps as they seem suitable and keeping a little power on until it's just about to touch down makes things very easy on the retracts.

I've confirmed that it's fine on 4S for the time being - there's a reasonably good trade-off between top speed and thrust, in my opinion anyway. It's a classy machine and well worth the wait!

Steve Murray

Well Done Steve, Congrats on the Flying and Landings. Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Thanks mate - I was expecting to see you out at PEMAC today and Renato was asking after you too. Don't tell me that you're still doing the work of two men!

Steve Murray

I put flights seven and eight on this model today and it's all tweaked out properly now - no modifications needed at the moment Biggrin

Steve Murray