Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Decent Soldering Iron

Hi All,
Went to convert all my batteries and plane to use Deans connectors but have run into a small problem. My little dinky di Dick Smith Solder Iron isn't up to the challenge of heating up the larger wires on the batteries. The tiny wires on the charge plug are ok but not the main big beefy wires.

Does anyone have a decent Soldering Iron that will do the job that I could borrow or maybe someone volunteer to do it for me? Biggrin

Thanks
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

i would mate but i dont have one either. its something i need to buy very soon as ive got them new plugs to convert to..

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Hi Mick
This is what i use its not the meanest or best soldering iron on the market but seems to do the job, its quite cheap $20.00.
and pretty rugged as i use it at work all the time.
i have a crappy 12 volt soldering iron in my rc bag you could borrow but it not the best but gets me out of trouble on the field if i need to do some soldering

I use this on my dean soldering.
(1.dab solder on dean 2.dab solder on wire. 3. join both together and fuse melt solder with iron)
Remember don't forget to put on the heat shrink first Redfaceops: ,
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp...rm=KEYWORD
Please note Jaycar is not a sponsor of mine, though it bloody should be i buy so much from there Lol

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Gday All

I find soldering Deans plugs a pain in the arse. Kieran mentioned to me the other day that the HobbyKing Deans "style" plugs are much easier to solder as they have a solder reservoir so to speak, much like a bullet connector. Having said that I am seriously consdering moving away from Deans plugs altogether as I really like Bullet connectors and everything I have read in RC mags etc seems to point to bullets being the weapon of chioce for the serious RC'ers.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Additionally, JAYCAR rocks, love that place!!!!!!

Cheers
Rob B

yeah rob im changing out to the HK deans style you speak of, i think kieren has and steve, paul has and now myself when i go buy that soldering iron for jaycar.. Biggrin

i like the way they solder and i like the ridges on each side that give you good grip to pull them apart, i find that deans cop alot of stress from when you cant get a good hold on them when they are tight and you accidently pull on the wire alittle bit. paul made me up two convertor cables to use on the two planes i have that havent had the esc's connection changed yet... im not sure about the bullet style tho, perhaps they are better again.

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

I took Steves advice and went and picked up a Jaycar Soldering Iron. Worked a treat. All plugs done but I think maybe I should have a look at the HK Deans plugs. The ones i got were about $10 from a hobby shop and are smooth sided with little tabs to solder the wires to. See how they go.

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.