Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gens Ace vs. Thunder power

Hey guys,
It is time for me to replace some of my lipos and finally buy a new charger. I already decided on picking up one of the ichargers but have no idea which packs to get. I am looking for 3s packs with anywhere from 2200 to maybe 3000mAh. Since, these packs will be used mainly in sport/3d applications a high discharge rate of around 25-30C is highly desired. I would also like to charge the packs at 5C. The thunder power packs I am looking at are all rated at 5C, but the gens ace packs don't seem to mention a charge rating.
So, can the gens ace packs be considered equivalent to their thunder power counterparts?
The pricing of the gens ace packs are quite attractive but ever since losing a plane on its maiden flight several years ago due to a cheap chinese lipo exploding in-flight, I am extra cautious when it comes to using cheaper packs.

I am interested in hearing what you guys think about these packs.

Please keep in mind this is an Australian forum and those brands aren't readily available here.

I think you'll find the majority of the members here use HobbyKing packs primarily.

Never heard of Gens ace. TP are premium batteries. No issue there but they cost $$$. If you're flying planes, then TP is certainly fine but the batteries via HK (Turnigy, Rhino, Nanotech, etc) are pretty hard to beat when it comes to flying time per $. If you are flying high performance 3D helis where you need gobs of power instantaneously, then I could appreciate going for TP.

I'd love to have Thunderpower Lipos but I can't justify spending USD$500 when I can get a Nanotech battery for USD$98 (10S 4500). Even if the Nanotech puffs after 12 months, I can buy another and still be well in front. I can't fly so expertly that I could really tell the difference. The Nanotechs certainly can provide more power than I need at my skill level.

G'day John

Greetings from downunder.
I am in agreeance with Dave, the nanotech packs from Hobby King are hard to beat.
The turnigy 3S 2650 nanotechs that I use have a discharge rating of 35 to 70C and rated to charge at 8C. From memory they were about $30 USD.
Our situation down here is a little different as our hobby stores mark up prices to a degree that stuff becomes prohibitively expensive. Your pricing in the USA is way cheaper and we often order stuff from the US to save a ton of $.
Having said that I use a thunderpower battery in a big 2m span piper cub, it is a few years old and still performs like new. However the battery Purchased here in Australia did cost more than the plane itself, and the cub was not cheap!

Cheers
Rob B