Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Build Log: Morane Saulnier A1

Mick, how about a TowerPro 2408-21?

I've got a new one here that you're most welcome to.

It might be on the low-side of what you were looking for, but perhaps take a browse through the HK reviews, and see how the planes/performances mentioned there stack up against what you need for your A1?

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(07-03-2012, 09:42 PM)Claudius Wrote:  Mick, how about a TowerPro 2408-21?

I've got a new one here that you're most welcome to.

It might be on the low-side of what you were looking for, but perhaps take a browse through the HK reviews, and see how the planes/performances mentioned there stack up against what you need for your A1?

I have ordered another motor for the A1 that will hopefully be good enough, but if this motor is still on offer, I would like to grab it if thats ok as it looks almost perfect for my next project - a 1912 Blackburn Monoplane.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Sure thing Mick. I'll throw it in my flight box now - if we miss each other this weekend, give me a call or drop me an email (contact details in the "Club Members Only" forum)

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Finally got around to doing some more work. The fuselage has been covered as well as the rear stab and elevators.

Here is the Fuselarge in all it's plain white glory. A few minor mistakes done with the covering just adds a bit of character.

Next the horizontal stabilizer and elevators are attached and clamped flat until the glue dries.

Finally, the vertical stab is glued into place and all surfaces are hinged. Here is the results ready for undercarridge and motor mounting.

Next is to finish the wing and then the final assembly.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

looking great Mick
Like your work.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

beautiful .... ! :-)

It's getting real close to the point where I need to start thinking about the paint job so I'm looking for some Painting Advice from people in the know about these things. The paint scheme I want to use is going to be very similar to this one:

My question is, how would I go about getting the best results. Should I buy some tins of model paint and hand paint it or should I grab some rattle cans and try spray painting (which I'm not real good at) or would there be another (better??) way to get this result?

Thanks
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

actually, with the camo colour scheme I find that
the rattle cans work just fine as you don't have to mask between
colours.
A little bit of overspray is better than a hard line.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Landing struts soldered up and installed. A little bit fiddley as there were minor differences in the various bends but it all come together in the end

This one shows the model with the battery cover in place

Right side up again with wing sitting in place. Note the servo wires going through the wing ribs.

I've started covering the wing. No photos yet.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Nice work Mick, Looking forward to seeing the finished product in the air.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

What a piece of Art. its looking fantastic, love the Camo scheme you picked.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Gday Mick

Awesome stuff, she looks gorgeous.
How have you found working with bem silk.
Also, had any issues with uneven drying or surface warping?

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Twister 3D Storm / Trex 600ESP Airwolf Heli's
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3

(08-05-2012, 08:17 PM)robair Wrote:  Gday Mick

Awesome stuff, she looks gorgeous.
How have you found working with bem silk.
Also, had any issues with uneven drying or surface warping?

Cheers
Rob B

I think I've gotten most of the problems with the BEM silk and my inexperience ironed out, and I'm beginning to think I actually prefer it over monocoat heat shrink plastic to work with.

The biggest improvement I've made is I've found a tin of Dope Thinner from HobbyCo in the city, so I've switched to using an almost 50/50 mix of dope/thinner instead of the acetone I was using. It's much less destructive on the silk and seems to give a far nicer finish. In addition, I'm only having to give the fabric a single coat of dope to shrink it instead of a couple of coats.

It does shrink quite a lot and initially I wasn;t prepared for it and a few of the bits I covered ended up quite warped. I got around this buy re-applying a coat of dope/thinner to make it flexable again, then when it was almost dry, laying it on a flat board with some reasonable heavy weights on it to keep it flat and let it go for a couple of days. When I pulled it out it seems to have gotten rid of the warp.

The process I'm using now involves giving it a coat of dope/thinner to start the shrinking, then placing serval heavy weights on it and leaving it for 3 or 4 days to fully shrink, which is why it's taking so long to complete, but I'm much happier with the results.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Interesting Mick

Your technique is different to mine. I completely wet the silk with distilled water, apply a very thin coat of dope/thinner to the surface to be covered then lay down and tack. I then let it all dry, a spray mist bottle is used to re-wet sections that may by drying out faster than others, this stops excessive warping. When all is good and dry I recoat with a slightly thicker mixture of dope and thinners, let it dry, then repeat.

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Twister 3D Storm / Trex 600ESP Airwolf Heli's
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3

(09-05-2012, 12:59 PM)robair Wrote:  Interesting Mick

Your technique is different to mine. I completely wet the silk with distilled water, apply a very thin coat of dope/thinner to the surface to be covered then lay down and tack. I then let it all dry, a spray mist bottle is used to re-wet sections that may by drying out faster than others, this stops excessive warping. When all is good and dry I recoat with a slightly thicker mixture of dope and thinners, let it dry, then repeat.

Cheers
Rob B

That's what we used to do with tissue paper water certainly makes that shrink. I guess water shrinks the silk too ??

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(09-05-2012, 12:59 PM)robair Wrote:  Interesting Mick

Cheers
Rob B

Sorry, I may not have been too clear on my previous post, it was 3am and I'd just gotton out of bed and wrote the reply while drinking my coffee getting ready to head off to work..

I use a 50/50 mix of Dope/thinner for all steps. I could prob make different mixtures for different steps, but that involves having more spare jars than I currently have available.

First I prep the part to be covered by giving it a light sand, then coat all the places where the silk touches the wood with a coat of dope and let it dry. Next, give it another light sand then another coat of dope and again let it dry.

Next, I soak the silk in warm water and drape it over the part to be covered. Next, using a thin brush and my thumb or finger, run a line of dope over the silk where it touches the wood. While it's still wet, "massage" it in until it soaks through the silk and adhears to the wood. usually this means running my finger/thumb up and down the "join" a few times. For the larger parts, like the fuse and the wing, I use a spray bottle with a fine mist to just give it a quick squirt where the water is starting to dry to keep it damp until I'm finished.

Once all the silk has been "glued" down, I set it aside to dry. I place a couple of weights on it just to make sure it keeps it's shape. The silk does shrink as it dries, but it doesn't shrink tight enough I don't think. I generally let it go for a couple of hours or overnight.

Next, I then coat the entire part with the dope again and set aside to dry, again with the weights on it to keep it in shape. I then leave the whole thing for a couple of days to finish drying and shrinking.

It took me several tries to develope the above method, including covering the Rudder, Vertical Stabiliser, Horizontal Stabilizer and the 2 seperate elevator parts. The above mention method was used to cover the airelons, Fuse and the wing (only half done at the moment) and it seems to be working ok.

The BEM silk I think is an artificial fabric which is maybe why it doesn't act exactly the same way as real silk or tissue does in terms of the shrinking etc. I'm reasonably certain it's the acetone that does most of the shrinking on the BEM silk instead of the water, as I noticed when I was using the Dope/Acetone mix, I was getting mega shrinkage/warpage on my test peices, while the dope/thinner mix also shrinks, but nowhere near as much due to the smaller acetone content...

Disclaimer:
The above is all speculation on my part due to what I've learned by experimentation and observation. It maybe completely wrong and have no resemblace whatsoever to reality. BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

beaut looking model mate , that looks like its going to own the skies , i know this is a sin to mention , but i nice radial ic engine would set it off . even with electric though no rotton casor oil on that covering .
i hope i get to see this one fly . love that built up wing .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Just a quick update on the wing covering.

The wet silk draped over the frame and ready for doping

Partway through the doping process

A close up of the silk

Finished wing ready for drying.

It's weighted down to prevent warping and twisting during the drying/shrinking process. I will be leaving it for a few days before I move it to ensure it's fully shrunk and tightened. Is then should complete the wing.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

This a reasonabe size model isn't it? What's the wing span Mick ?

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(15-05-2012, 03:01 PM)secant0give Wrote:  This a reasonabe size model isn't it? What's the wing span Mick ?

The wingspan is 39 inches or about 1 metre across. Don't have a fuse length on hand, sorry. That puts it at approx 1:8 scale to the real thing .. or is that 8:1??? can't remeber which way aroung it goes. The original had an 8 metre wingspan....

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Just a real quick update on the build. The main wing is finally finished. All that is really left to do now is mount the motor and the final hookup of the control surfaces and electronics then give it a paint job. Oh, needs proper wheels too. Anyone know where I can pickup some wheels with an approx 60mm diameter?

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

I have some spare spare 60 x 19 mm wheels with to suit 2.5mm axle. Also have a pair 10mm wide.

On the subject of wheels, I had a magazine article somewhere which showed how to make wheels for a vintage plane like that out of lite-ply with a depron hub ... something like that might look the part on your scale model.

Steve Murray

(04-07-2012, 04:43 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  I have some spare spare 60 x 19 mm wheels with to suit 2.5mm axle. Also have a pair 10mm wide.

The 60 x 19mm might be the go if you want to donate them to a worthy cause and have my eternal gratitude. Of course I may be able to provide some financial compensation if needed.

(04-07-2012, 05:10 PM)smuzz Wrote:  On the subject of wheels, I had a magazine article somewhere which showed how to make wheels for a vintage plane like that out of lite-ply with a depron hub ... something like that might look the part on your scale model.
Is that the article where they use thread to make something that looks like a spoked wheel? if so, I'd love to get a copy of it. I did see one like that when I thumbed through a magazine but I never actually brought that issue so never got to see what was actually involved in doing it but I'd be keen to have a look at it.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

I can't recall whether the spoked wheels were in the picture Mick, I thought they were the cone-shaped solid hubs which were pretty common on planes of that vintage.
I'll see if I can find it on the weekend ... since I don't think I'll be doing much flying Frown

Steve Murray

Always happy to donate to worthy causes. I like the eternal gratitude bit as well

That's Turning out to be one Fine Looking Plane Mick. Thumbup

But Captain, Will She Fly.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(05-07-2012, 02:19 AM)smuzz Wrote:  I can't recall whether the spoked wheels were in the picture Mick, I thought they were the cone-shaped solid hubs which were pretty common on planes of that vintage.
I'll see if I can find it on the weekend ... since I don't think I'll be doing much flying Frown

Perhaps it was a different article that I was looking at. The solid hub type of wheel is the one shown on the plans for this plane so thats the ones that i'd like to go with is possible. I had visions of taking a set of 60mm wheels (thanks Flying fisho) and making them appear solid with the applicaiton of balsa or depron or something over the hubs.
(05-07-2012, 08:16 AM)samste Wrote:  That's Turning out to be one Fine Looking Plane Mick. Thumbup

But Captain, Will She Fly.

Steve Smile

It's been close to 12 months of slow progress. My missus keeps telling me that she doesn't want me to fly it after all the work I've put into it. She rekons I should just leave it on a shelf and just look at it.... I just hope it survives the maiden. I'd be most dissapointed if I garbage bag'ed it on the maiden!

I canna give it any more cap'in, she'll blow!!!

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

[/quote]

I just hope it survives the maiden. I'd be most dissapointed if I garbage bag'ed it on the maiden!

I[/quote]

Don't think that way, think how gracefull and beautiful its going to look flying. which is what it's meant to do.Biggrin
Unless you know something is not quite right about the plane. Too heavy or set up is not correct.Confused

Good luck, I hope I'm there for maiden.Wink

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

You'll be right Mick, I have dibs on maiden flight crashes ie. moneyshot