Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can't decide on which radio to go for???

Gday guys, I was hoping to get some advice on the purchase of a new set of radio gear. I have currently a set of sanwa and jr am sets which I have had for years. I am reluctant to use them again due to interference recently where I lost my first rough brushless test trainer into the earth. (It was flying so well) I wish to use it in basic petrol and electric planes up to six channels max. Despite having read so much on pros and cons on the new 2.4ghz systems I can't decide which way to go. I haven't been around a flying field for the last 15 years so I haven't got the word. I'm keen to get my new electic Funcub safely into the air!
I have been on the Tower site and are currently tossing up between FM and 2.4gh Hitec and Futaba gear.
Could anyone enlighten me whats the general go in this century, and which radio might be suit my needs?
I'll also try to get down to the field and have a chat, I was sure surprised to see one exists in suburbia. Regards Andrew.

Andrew,

You will find a vast majority of people on 2.4G and only people who have been in RC since Noah have anything other (72, 36 & 27 - depending on your age).

I have a 2.4G SANWA and swapped to Spektrum bcs a majority of "normal" fliers use Spektrum DX6i, DX7, DX8.
People who like special kit still use Spektrum DX9, DX11, DX12 or Futaba, Multiplex and other far less popular and more expensive brands.
Just about everyone in our club has had their hands wrapped around a Spektrum DX6i at some stage.

I currently run all my plances with a DX7 and am very happy with its capabilities but then again I only use about 50% of its functionality.

PS: The SANWA is a very nice radio too but the receivers cost $90 a hit and the Clone receivers for Spektrum DSM2 make hacking foam planes so much easier.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

G'day Andrew

You pose an interesting question. As Drew stated pretty much all club members are 2.4 gig Spektrum or JR user. I suspect that we got that way as we had heaps of advice and support to give each other due to the common equipment.
I fly a Spektrum DX8 which us a great tx however there has been some issues involving software updates and a full product recall.
Now to throw the cat in the bag a few of the guys have had issues with Spektrum in that a hold has been experienced causing some nasty crashes. We have a couple of Futaba users who to my knowledge had have no issues of any type.
If I was not baulking at the cost of replacing 15 or so receivers I would have a Futaba right now! I have read about the hitec optic9 and that looks like a top radio with a very cool suite of telemetry gadgets.
Cheers
Rob B

I started flying a couple of years ago and faced the same issue. The majority of flyers were using Spektrum but there was also quite a lot of discussion on brown outs (loss of radio signal) from various causes and all sorts of "do's and don'ts". There appeared to be quite a lot of issues and you only have to look at the upgrading of DSM to DSM2 to DSMX. Why so many developments?
I had no radio as such (just an old 36MHz JR) an decided to go Futaba. Never looked back. I have had ZERO problems with the way it functions nor recalls. From time to time Futaba release new FREE firmware upgrades (new functions and features). This is excellent as now my T8FG is a 14 channel radio (started as 8 ch).

If you were a learner (which by all accounts you aren't) a Spektrum would allow trainer connections to most radios at the club. Futaba is difficult in this area for direct link buddy box connections.

Spektrum are clearly very good radios. A lot of people use them and are very happy. My personal vote is for Futaba due to the level of equivalent features in the radio but ZERO issues with their FASST system. Receivers aren't cheap as Rob says but you can get clones from HK. Not as cheap as Sepktrum through but still much lower in cost than the genuine receiver. I have all genuine receivers. No issues, great distance, no thoughts at all in the back of mind when flying that the radio might have a "moment".

Touch wood I have never had any problems with my Spektrum gear
including the Hobby King clone rx's. I have a DX6i but recently a member was
sell his JR 9 channel radio and I bought it from him.
This too is 2.4 gig and compatable with my Spektrum rx's.
I have found this radio to be very good also.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

thanks guys I will do some serious reading and buy a 2.4ghz one tonight. I'll post which one I went for. The spektrum sounds good and I like the sound of whacking it in different foamies. cheers Andrew.

Now... which mode Wink

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Futaba is the system that most of all the other brands try to emulate in 2.4 it scans all the frequency The other brands are only just starting to do this and it means less failure but have not heard of any Futaba failures with genuine receiver I have been testing the orange receivers 8 ch and as yet have not had a failure

(28-08-2011, 06:34 PM)Drew Wrote:  Now... which mode Wink
ThumbupThumbup Heh, heh, heh, ...

Steve Murray

Now that 'mode' is mentioned I am 90% sure I am mode 1, (throttle used with right fingers). I guess I have got to check the transmitter is mode 1 or that its setting/sticks can be changed. Man you almost need a degree in electronics these days to buy set of radio gear.. and buying things over the net makes it all the more difficult as a newby. Back to studying item descriptions. I guess thats why a good hobby shop is worth buying from when not sure. Thanks Drew for reminding me about 'which mode' although it sounds like you have a little hidden joke in there. cheers Andrew.

If your JR set is one that has removable modules I can recomend this from HK
It's an excellent option and is of siimilat technology to futaba but not compatable
I've never had a glitch with mine and I've tested it over 500 meters and still had a rock solid link!!

If it's not a modual type you can just replace the RF board in the TX and it will work great.
Here's a couple of links

Just the RF board and antenna to add to your TX http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dule_.html

here is a JR modual with RX included http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...FR_RX.html

This one has telemetry as well to monitor your on board batery voltage if you choose to use it.

It's the unit of choice I use in my two JR radios

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(28-08-2011, 07:38 PM)bigmaan Wrote:  ... about 'which mode' although it sounds like you have a little hidden joke in there. cheers Andrew.
Yes Andrew - the "which mode?" question is the guaranteed starter to the age-old controversy, as I guess you'll remember.

For what it's worth: If you were a beginner and unsure whether a longer-term attachment to the hobby was going to turn out, then I'd suggest a Spektrum DX6i. But you're not a beginner, and so one of the other options suggested here might be more suitable.

One thing is for sure - in real terms, you're going to pay peanuts for a very flexible and capable system, compared to equipment from a decade ago.

All the best,
Steve

Steve Murray

Yeah, just to further dilute your options, FRSky is on the same level as Futaba and a fraction of the cost. You need to have a module based radio or knowledge in electronics to get it working however.

That said, you'd be hard pushed to go wrong with a Spektrum radio. You have to try pretty hard to have all the failures people talk about online (ie. a dodgy receiver and fly out of range). If following the manufacturers recommendations you can't go wrong.

Sorry guys got another couple of queries.

I see that several radios are powered only by 4 x AA batteries, I am concerned its only half the amount my current trans has. Does this affect range? I say this because I have some gliders.

Also I am now keen on the Futaba 7c gear, I see that the mode change can be made easy enough on the trans but you need to change the rachet set up for the stick from left to right and this should be done by a authorised Futaba service person. From what I've seen on the net it doesn't look difficult to do the change yourself, however you void warranty. I haven't been able to locate a futaba service person on the net. Is there a futaba service person in Sydney?

Andrew, your current radio is of another vintage and a 6 V power requirement is common in the modern products. It's not the primary determiner of transmission range.
As for a mode change of the transmitter - I'd simply ask the retailer to supply whichever mode was required, it's not your problem then.
Good luck,
Steve

Steve Murray

thanks Steve, I will make some enquiries with Tower re getting Mode1. I have found tower good to deal with so far. Andrew.

Yea Andrew as Steve says 6v is quite common these days.
All DX6i are powered by 4 AAA batteries.
Also it's easier if you buy the right mode at the beginning that way
you know it should work ok.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I'm all for buying stuff overseas but the one thing you need to get in Australia is your radio, never mind that you need a C-Tick on it to be properly insured with MAAA.

You want a local warranty for when it packs up!

--Edit--
If you go a Spektrum DX8, it support user changeable Mode selection so you can chop n change to your hearts content...

The cheaper Spectrum gear is bloody good gear but if your really smart you just buy JR or Futaba (9 channels plus of course) that way they wont need to be sent off for repairs........ HELLLOOOOO!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

thanks for all your input guys, i ended up getting a futaba 6ex, hopefully it will be in date for years. I'll get down and say gday. thanks andrew.