Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HK EXtra 300 S Build

Has anyone built this plane? I was trying to attach the alierons using the "gemels". Cutting/ Splitting the foam to insert them is not that easy I find. Just wondering if there is a better way to do this. I was thinking may be I can just stick a tape across. I have a white masking tape but I think it may be a bit stiff. Any advice welcome!

I normally use a very very Sharp Hobby Knife to Cut Slits on either side and just slide in Hinge.

Here is a clip That may help,

Im Keen to Do Hot Melt Hinges on My next Epp.

http://youtu.be/N4Of1IjTIIo

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(21-08-2011, 10:04 AM)fly_away Wrote:  Has anyone built this plane? I was trying to attach the alierons using the "gemels". Cutting/ Splitting the foam to insert them is not that easy I find. Just wondering if there is a better way to do this.

Ah yes - the ones that came with my kit had just enough lack of stiffness to make getting several of them in at once an exercise in utter frustration.

After finally managing to do the ones in the wings and tailplane, I realised I wasn't ever going to be happy with the result, and just used fiber tape over all of the control surfaces.

Apply both on the top-and-bottom. And be sure to depress the tape into the cavity between surfaces (i.e. roll the tape over the end of each surface) in order to form the "hinge" - otherwise, you'll have restricted movement after applying the tape on both sides of the surface.

HTH. There's a couple more on these floating around the club, so others might have some alternative suggestions.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Thanks Claudius. Any recommendations on the kind of tape to use. White masking tape appears to be too stiff (over a longer length it would be stiffer). Suggestions on the internet include a kind of medical tape, reflector tapes, and even old floppy discs. I think I will go for this Blenderm tape. Might check the local pharmacy. Do these things last long?

(21-08-2011, 11:12 AM)Claudius Wrote:  
(21-08-2011, 10:04 AM)fly_away Wrote:  Has anyone built this plane? I was trying to attach the alierons using the "gemels". Cutting/ Splitting the foam to insert them is not that easy I find. Just wondering if there is a better way to do this.

Ah yes - the ones that came with my kit had just enough lack of stiffness to make getting several of them in at once an exercise in utter frustration.

After finally managing to do the ones in the wings and tailplane, I realised I wasn't ever going to be happy with the result, and just used fiber tape over all of the control surfaces.

Apply both on the top-and-bottom. And be sure to depress the tape into the cavity between surfaces (i.e. roll the tape over the end of each surface) in order to form the "hinge" - otherwise, you'll have restricted movement after applying the tape on both sides of the surface.

HTH. There's a couple more on these floating around the club, so others might have some alternative suggestions.

I've successfully used the fibre tape that Claudius mentioned
in some of my builds.
You can get it at Bunnings. It's like a clear packing tape with fibre
threads running through it.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I've tried quite a few things as tape hinges and as Paul J sugests the fiber tape works by far the best.
but a good quality wide clear scotch packing tape works nicely but you'll have to keep an eye on and replace it as necessary. I've used this on my Scorpion powered fun jet and that fairly moves, no problems yet and it's had quite a few flights now.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci