Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Combat Wings

Hurry Get Your Combat wings while there in stock,
This could be a new Airplane Challenge Combat Flying.

C'mon you know you want Too.
Just Imagin playing Chicken and no one moves, what more fun would you want ?
who will survive till the end ?
Dogfights ?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...m_ARF.html

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Shame they don't make those wings a little bit bigger more the size of a combat slope wing at about 1400 span. they would fly so much better.

Perhaps we should get bunch of cores cut and put some together

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Rumor has it that they'll have a larger one, I've sent a msg to Anthony asking for them anyhow Wink

Has anyone put an order in for those wings? Shipping is as expensive as the wing itself.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

(20-08-2011, 03:14 AM)popeyepete Wrote:  Has anyone put an order in for those wings? Shipping is as expensive as the wing itself.

Yeh I know, and the 900mm is the better of the two and its weighs just over a kg wihich puts it in a higher postage bracket.
$24 registered or $30 ems express

Holding off at moment to see if there doing a 1200mm version

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

We can get some cores cut for about $20 each plus the price of the foam and the postage will be zero dollers. They will be a better model, only thing is there will be no instructions but you don't get much from HK in that department.
If you post up if your interested in a set I'll organize a price for the foam and cutting it as I'm going to get some cut for my self shortly.

These would be the same dimensions as my FPV wing which flies well enough as a pusher.
I'm also going to get a larger size (straight scale up) set of cores cut as well

here's a link to the fpv wing build thread.

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=305

span is 1.4m
tip section is SD8000 cord is 200mm
Root section is RG15 cord is 350mm

Sweep = leading edge of the tip section is 320mm back from the LE of the root section

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

If you want really good combat wings the engine and prop and prop cavity have to cut into the centre of the wing.
Only way to fly combat.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(21-08-2011, 10:41 AM)secant0give Wrote:  We can get some cores cut for about $20 each plus the price of the foam and the postage will be zero dollers. They will be a better model, only thing is there will be no instructions but you don't get much from HK in that department.
If you post up if your interested in a set I'll organize a price for the foam and cutting it as I'm going to get some cut for my self shortly.

I'd be very interested if the price isn't too high.....

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

(21-08-2011, 09:30 PM)gbanger Wrote:  If you want really good combat wings the engine and prop and prop cavity have to cut into the centre of the wing.
Only way to fly combat.

(21-08-2011, 09:30 PM)gbanger Wrote:  If you want really good combat wings the engine and prop and prop cavity have to cut into the centre of the wing.
Only way to fly combat.

Gazz,
Do you mean like a slot cut through the wing through which the prop rotates?

I have seen a couple of delta's made like that. I don't see why it couldn't be done to one of these wings. Other than protection for the prop Is there any other advantage? Obviously you don't want the motor on the front as combat planes tend to land nose in first, a lot. Smile

I've never flown powered combat but I did fly a few seasons of slope combat on the northern beaches a few years back, the models survive crash after hard landing after crash and just keep on going. Be warned it's highly addictive !! Smile

I'm interested in one of these wings. I did once contact a bloke on Ebay who was selling foam cores, lost his contacts though.

Is there enough depth in centre part to make a cut-out and create a concealed compartment for the battery and electronics?

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Yes Jason if you like you can make me a set Please, dont mind custom builds.
Just let me Know How Much I need to Give You.

Steve Smile

(22-08-2011, 01:28 PM)popeyepete Wrote:  I'm interested in one of these wings. I did once contact a bloke on Ebay who was selling foam cores, lost his contacts though.

Is there enough depth in centre part to make a cut-out and create a concealed compartment for the battery and electronics?

There is enough room for a 3S 2150 Rhino pack as far as thickness goes you might even get a 4S in if it was positioned at the thickest part of the wing. You could super easily use 2 of 2S packs in series and that way you would have 4S and easily put the packs near the Leading Edge with plenty of space thickness wise.

Lots of options to persure Smile

Two of the guys on the Instructors course had the old style ones and were doing some combat with them after we finished our exams yesterday. I told them that HK had just released some new ones and a few of our club members were looking at buying them but was told that they are shit....! because the prop is at the back, which really reduces their manouverability at lower speeds. The old ones they had have the motor and prop in the centre of the wing which gives a lot more authority with thrust over the control surfaces and makes them a far superior aircraft. Just thought I would point it out. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

That does make sense

I have some prices back from Colin to cut the cores and supply the foam. He emailed me back the other day and attached is a copy of my request for pricing and also his reply.

So if you post up here which size your interested in making I'll organise it from here.

I'm going to go for the M grade EPS option and get my self a set in the 2m span
I have made and flown and currently have a slope glider in the 1.4m span version as well as two electric powered models. One that is a pusher and fitted with FPV gear
See my FPV wing thread http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=305
There's even some video of it flying here.

The other powered version I have tested is a tractor with the wings glassed by the vacuum baging method. It flys nicely and I've launched it a number of times by my self using a bungee. Darrens catapult would also be a good option of launching it. I certainly used it to good effect on the first flight of the FPV wing. Steven B also hand launched the tractor version for me a number of times.

As slope gliders there were about 20 sets of these cores made up many people and used very successfully for slope combat about 10 to 12 years ago on the northern beaches. They went by the name "Nulla Nulla" which is one stick further up the tree than a boomerang. The "Boomerang" was another combat wing wich was a step ahead of a "Zagi" With a better airfoil section and nicer handeling. The Nulla Nulla out performed both as a combat slope wing with it's low drag sections, forgiving flight characteristics. excellent maneuverability and ability to fly up side down nearly as well as right side up. Many a Zagi and a Boomerang fell pray to the Nulla Nulla's on those spring and summer afternoons at long reef and Doberoid head.

Here's Colin's reply

Jason,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I've been a little
busy at home.

I have just been looking at the wings and I have a price for you.
1.4m Span
$20 for the cutting service
$42 Blue foam or
$30 M grade EPS

2.0m span
$20 for the cutting service
$103 Blue foam or
$72 M Grade EPS (white foam is preferable for this size or cut)

If you get a few orders I'll try to do a little better on the
price (let me know numbers). It might be best to make one of the
aircraft first and just see how it performs in case you want to make
any tweaks to it.

Talk to you soon,
Colin.

Quoting Jason Vanajek :

> G'day Colin and Claudio,
> Sorry I've been a bit slow at
> getting around to this, attached is the co-rods for the two sections
>
> Here are the details of the flying wing cores I'd like to have cut.
> I have a reasonable quantity of white foam that I can get to but
> if you would like to order your own foam
> that would be fine by me as well. I like to use M grade EPS from
> RMAX foam they will happily cut to size
> and deliver it straight to you. I'm not objectionable to blue foam either
> as long as it's not too heavy. It's probably about the same as M
> grade EPS ???
>
> I have posted up on the club web sight asking if anyone else wants a
> set of cores while your at it
> Here's a link to the post
>
> http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=436&pid=7737#pid7737
>
> Here are the details of the cores
>
> no washout
>
> full span is 1.4m (each core will 700mm root to tip)
> tip section is SD8000 cord is 200mm
> Root section is RG15 cord is 350mm
>
>
>
> I would also like to have a couple of sets of cores cut scaled up to
> 2 meters span if that's possible with your set up
>
> no washout
>
> full span is 2000m (each core will 1000mm root to tip)
> tip section is SD8000 cord is 286mm
> Root section is RG15 cord is 500mm
>
> Sweep = leading edge of the tip section is 457mm back from the LE of
> the root section
>
> many thanks
>
> Jason Vanajek

Jason

I'm keen on the 1.4m M Grade EPS.

Lock it in Eddie!

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Excellent any more takers ??

Post up

Smile

Gday Jason

2m M Grade EPS for me please.

Cheers
Rob B

hi Jason,

Can i please get the 1.4 m, EPS

Thankyou,
Frank.

No probs at all,
The list is growing Smile

Any more takers, Last Call

I will be emailing the list to Colin in the next couple of days

Please let me know if there are any corrections or additions.

I will put a up a build log of my 2m flying wing as I get things done on it

so far we have an order for

samste one set of 1.4 m cores or 2m cores ??

popeyepete one set of 1.4 meter cores

secant0give 2 sets of 2m cores

Frank one set of 1.4m cores

robair one set of 2m cores

Cheers

Jason

G'day Jason

I am looking forward to getting my hands on these cores.
My plan is for a twin 70mm edf setup.
Can anyone suggest a good HK fan that is ready to go? I don't want to have to assemble etc, just mount, plug in and go. I have a major project on the go that requires some research and experimentation with twin edf setups. On a related note if anyone wants to know how to build double slotted fowler flaps I have cracked that challenge nicely on a 4m span swept wing.

Cheers
Rob b

I've acquired a decent size sheet of core flute for the winglets so anyone getting a set of cores is most welcome to core flute for a set of winglets as well.

Hi Rob
I'm putting fowler flaps on to both of my airliners.
Not sure if I am using the same method as you but this is what
mine should look like when finished. (I'm also putting in the spoilers.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJqColJii2o

Hope I do as good a job as he did.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

G'day Paul

My setup is very different. I have inboard flaperons actuated via internal rods, 1 servo per side. Then to the flaps that extend via screwjacks and drop via mechanical linkage. The screw jacks run forward as well to deploy leading edge slats. Finally the 6 spoilers are actuated via an internal rod system. They are not above the flaps, they are just aft of the wings max thickness.
Each wing has 1 servo for flaperon, 1 servo + a screwjack for flaps/ slats, 1 servo for spoilers and a servo for the outboard ailerons.
I was dying for a while working out how to do this and had a eureka moment after much beer. I have taken a modular approach so all the bits are built off the wing then just drop in to pre prepared spaces on the wing frame.
It actually turned out to be fairly easy. No idea how you would do this on a pre built wing though?

Sound cool Rob.
I admire you people that can sit down and work all this out.
My flaps with have a servo on each wing and spoilers will have 1
servo in each wing also. They will have small return springs inserted inside the
wing which will pull them down after deployment.
There is a linkage between the inboard spoiler and the out board one so that only
one servo is required to raise them.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Gday Paul

Easy inspiration is too look at how the real thing does the job, then duplicate in minature.

My project is a 767-300, 4m span. Fuse is built out of geodesic carbon rod and fibre, wings are similar construction. I have the fuse and wings built however need to carbon fibre cover cloth cover. All up dry weight is approx 6.5kg. Power will be from twin 110mm fans.. Batteries will weigh a ton and push her over heavy model weight, I am close to having Darren give her a look over for that certification.

My 15Kg daughter can walk over the wing and sit on the fuse no dramas so the geodesic framing is seriously strong. I hope to use a lot of what I have learnt to make an uber combat wing with the 2m core with all non conventional controls, ie vectored thrust, canards and xb70 style wing tip droops.
Warning to Andrew R, I have a massive amount of questions re the 767 control surface laws and authorities under different flight conditions. I previously loved the 737 however the 767 is a very different kettle of fish and has some serious performance that is quite unlike the 737.

Photos soon on a diff thread.

Cheers
Rob B

Sounds great looks like we will have a few airliners
flying soon I'm doing the B737-800 and the Airbus A380.
A380 will be in Qantas colours and B737 will be in EgyptAir colours.
B737 is twin 70mm EDF and A380 is quad 55 EDF.
Hope to have both ready for display on Australia Day.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

I've just emailed Colin about cutting the cores for us.
Hopefully it won't be too long before he has them done Smile Smile Smile

I got a reply from Colin the other day, He said he was just about to order the Foam