Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Interesting video testing Orange Rx

Came across this video while browsing the web.
I found it quite interesting and thought some of
you may find it the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyOXDGgIh8

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Very nice Clip paul, Intersting Too.

Great Idea In Testing in a Can, Im Thinking Trying it an old metal tool box i have at home and see how it goes.
I Always Suspected that not all Tx Radios Put out Exactly the Same as there so many Variants that could effect its Performance even though theres a certain Spec and Performance for Tx's.
So what would Think be ok For One Person may Not be Ok For another Person with there setup.

As for Our Field Purposes i Think were all within our Range given our Flying Circuits are Restricted somewhat.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

very interesting indeed.

there are a few things to wonder a bout here. the field pattern of the TX antenna would be different depending on how it was placed and lying the TX on the wet ground would also reduce the range a bit I'd think. But it certainly looked as tho there is a distinct difference between 3 those RXs.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Yeh and that the Orange HK receivers suck when compared to Spectrum

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Yeh and that the Orange HK receivers suck when compared to Spectrum

Hey that's a pretty wide generalisation there Gaz. Smile
Quite a lot of people are actualy have a great deal of success with the Orange Rx.
I have this week received a 9channel Orange Rx to try out.
I would not consider it for an expensive plane like my L39 but certainly in some
of the larger foamies it may do the job.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I didnt say they dont work mate just that you get what you pay for.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I've run out of range with both Orange & Genuine Spektrum Park rx's at approximately the same range.

BUT

If I were to weigh up crash's caused by rx lockouts, I've had 2 Spektrum crashes vs 0 Orange crashes.

Tell me who makes the sucky receivers then!?

Of course it's easy to fudge numbers to suit an argument when I neglect to mention that I've probably flown a ratio of 99.98:00.02% of flight hours favouring Spektrum Rx's.

The trick with them is that you need to be mindful of their reduced capacity and place them in your model and fly accordingly.

On the subject of "quality". Lets not talk about Spektrum's recent 3rd recall of DX8's

Your right Gaz you do get what you pay for,
I brought two orange receivers the other day just to give them a go on my depron foamies and get my good spectrum receivers back for other projects.

We will see how they go I haven't has a chance to try them yet.

But when you test radio gear thoroughly it's not just a matter of sticking an RX in a tin.
Signal loss is not linear for a start, In a perfect world it falls of by the cube root of the distance or something like that, you can get all sorts of other effects too like shadowing and multi path, even the sun can get angry and mess with things. You can get more or less gain depending on how things are placed relative to others in your model, so comparing distance like that is pretty crude at best. It's OKish but you must be careful when interpreting the results.

To do a better range check you've got to set it up in the model with the motor going all servos plugged in and with the all the wiring that you'd use in the plane. Then you need to drive out and have line of sight you also need to hold the tx as you would when flying.

Antenna's don't have the same range in all directions, a 1/4 wave dipole like you have on the RX and TX drops off markedly as they are orientated end on to each other. This is why a nice diversity system on the receive end (satellite receiver) works much better.

The longer dipole which is what I think he had on that spectrum receiver would have more gain but a narrower field pattern. The field pattern would look something like a pancake rather than a doughnut. So orientation would be more critical with this one. For instance if you fluke the orientation in your test it might well give you an exaggerated estimate of your real range.

If the receiver has the ability to choose between two antenna's ie the one with the best reception this is called diversity. I think that the spectrum receivers do this nicely. I'm not sure how good the signal processing is or how far they've gone with it but I think it's possible to do signal processing and error correction in such a way you can use multi path signals to extend range as well. I'm not sure if they use this technique tho' as it'd need a heap of processing power

If you have nice digital signal processing rapid diversity and redundancy built into the signal and clever error checking all working for you. Then you can extend your range a lot with out upping the power of the TX. I'm not sure just how fairly this will show up in a tin can test.

I'm not poo pooing the guys technique at all, I think it's a good idea but it's also good to realize that there are other factors and it's a complicated system your asking to be evaluated with a very simple test.

Just like you say Gaz, you do get out, what you put in, this holds true for testing methods as well.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

All my planes now use Orange receivers - from indoor to my Orange Balsa PT-20. The only one with a satelite is the PT-20 but I have had no signal issues with plenty of response and altitude for my purposes.

I was previously using a Sanwa receiver with satelite in the PT-20 bcs I bought Sanwa before I recognised that the rest of the known universe uses Spektrum or Futaba (other than those significantly greater funds to invest in their toys).

Sanwa suffers the lack of competition that used to work for spektrum with the cost of a compatible receiver being over AU$80. This lead me to the HobbyKing el-cheapo 2.4G Tx system TR6-A. The 2.4GHz MOP from MAAA then pushed me towards Spektrum.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC
---------------------------------------------------------------------

just wanted to revive this thread , as i think it is excellent for us newer members .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .