Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yak 55 M

http://youtu.be/hocTwU6LP1s

It flies again, tho' I did manage to break the prop and bend the undercarriage landing in the mud on the edge of the strip. It's all cleaned up and I'll straighten the gear tomorrow, no other damage fortunatly

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(19-02-2012, 08:15 PM)secant0give Wrote:  http://youtu.be/hocTwU6LP1s

It flies again, tho' I did manage to break the prop and bend the undercarriage landing in the mud on the edge of the strip. It's all cleaned up and I'll straighten the gear tomorrow, no other damage fortunatly

Good Stuff Jason

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Nice edit. No Yak splat.

(20-02-2012, 06:56 AM)Skidz Wrote:  Nice edit. No Yak splat.

Thanks Dave, I'm saving that for "the Yak and other splat" compilation video Smile It took me a while to get the McCoy Mud off it and that mud doesn't smell very nice either. I saved it tho', so I can put it back to help fill in the hole in strip.

btw

I had a laugh at the Aribic text above your avitar! Smile

That's a gem !!

نراقب تستخدمها على حكم ثان لست متأكدة ما إذا كان فيه دقة وقطعوا حلال.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

You got to laugh at the translation engine outputs...

"We are watching used on the rule of a second I'm not sure whether, in which the accuracy and cut off halal".

Is that what you meant?

Classy

Some Pics of the HK Yak 55m I brought to replace the super and cheaper one
I had some issues with the HK Yak's paint work on the cowl so I ended up repairing the super and cheaper Yak while I fought HK over the cowl. Eventually (months later) a nice new cowl turned up so I thought I might put this machine together as well. Then I'll have a spare Yak 55 M

The two models are very close to the same size. The HK one should be a little lighter, not that the other is overly heavy but less is more !!

below is a pic of the fuse sitting out on the bench ready for a bit of work.

Meet Charles, or Chuck as he prefers to be known

Here he is getting used to his new lodgings

Charles came up from South Australia a few weeks ago, My mate Doug has a collection of pilot molds and kindly sent him over.

I hope he enjoys his new vocation Smile I'm sure it will have it's ups and downs

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(22-07-2012, 10:17 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Meet Charles, or Chuck as he prefers to be known

He is more like a relaxed James Dean than adrenalin rushed 3D Yak pilot!Confused
But I'm sure you shake him into action soon.ThumbupBiggrin

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Good move to change his name to Chuck, Not only does Charles sound a little gay, but Chuck is what he will probably be doing sitting in one of your airframes!
Blah ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

You'd better give him an iPod Jason, to bring him up to a contemporary standard.

Steve Murray

(23-07-2012, 06:05 PM)smuzz Wrote:  You'd better give him an iPod Jason, to bring him up to a contemporary standard.

I'm not going to spoil him too much, I was thinking of putting the club logo on his blue shirt tho'.

Well chuck is happy he's been patiently watching me put together his ride this evening
A couple of Pics

Fitting the Horosontal Stabelizer and fitting the rudder

That Looks Big and Nice Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

YEP , YOUR A LUCKY BUGGER , secantOgive . but with 20 years of flying under your collar , hats off to your gear .
nice plane , to add to the others ,

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Frank there's been a few Gaps in there, Smile .............I'm starting to feel old when you say things like that Wink

The Yak is getting closer, with the little ones sleeping better and me getting a few full nights sleep I'm feeling more inclined to be out in the shed and do a bit after dinner for a while. Witch of course makes Chuck Happy,
here he is watching the trial fitting of the motor.

LOL chuck must be an Australian pilot .

I Had a quick squizz at this plane last night . pics are deceiving , its a big plane .. it's a good thing chuck is following the build , what receiver setup is he recommending ? telemetry ?

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

he won't say where he's from, He's Kind of a quite sort of guy........ Doesn't say much at all really???

Wink

It will be a telemetry RX an FRsky one, I have a new RX sitting on the shelf ready to go in. I still have to make the voltage dividers for the A to D converters so it can measure the Main battery voltage and the seperate RX pack voltage as well.

Chuck is in for a suprise this evening, I've done a little more on the Yak

I had the motor mounted in the air frame all ready to go, then I had an after thought. Remembering the trouble I had with the magnets coming un-bonded in the earlier Turnigy G160 motor. I decided to take the new motor off the fire wall, pull it apart and give it an internal inspection.

This motor is from a different production run than the earlier one, it's KV rating is slightly different. It came from the HK Aus warehouse and it has a different sticker on which is printed Turnigy D6364 290KV. On the old one is printed G160 and 245Kv. Other than that they look identicle

I must say the old one, in the Big yellow Yak Has run quite nicely, for many flights, now that I've re-bonded the magnets and grouted them in.

The magnets on the newer motor look to have been bonded with a different adheasive. It could be some kind of unfilled epoxy reson but it's hard to say. There was a decent fillet of it around the edge of the magnets. much more so than on the earlier motor. I'm not sure if it's only whishfull thinking, but to me, it looked better.

I decided to grout the magnets in and compleetly fill the space between them using West Systems epoxy resin mixed with West Systems Micro Fiber Blend filler. I grouted the old moter with some special epoxy wich had some unknown filler already added to the reson (it was black and especially for grouting magnets) But sadly there was none of that left.

Micro fiber blend is a great filler for high strength bonding aplications it's moderatly heavy and difficult to sand so it's not for every aplication. However it makes the epoxy as tough as hell and greatly increases the bond strength especially where epoxy is used to both bond and fill gaps. So it will have to do Smile

I also trimmed the excess length of shaft from the back of the motor as it probably weighed close to an ounce.

Before re-assembeling it I checked the balance of the rotor and found it was not 100%. You can see from the first pic how much I had to remove to balance it up. I will have to pull the motor of the other Yak and check it at some stage too.

The second pic shows the filled epoxy grouting between the magnets.

I've done a little more on the new Yak this evening
It's getting pretty close to being compleeted now

Just getting the linkages sorted, Here's a pic of the tail group
Chuck is supervising the fit out as usual

I put the blue Yak 55 M together this evening with batteries and all, to weight it and see how it is looking for balance.
The all up weight comes in at 5.25 Kgs and it will need a little nose weight so will probably come in just under 5.5 Kgs ready to fly. Some of that nose weight will be prop and spinner as I don't have those on it yet.

The other Yak (the yellow one) weighs just a touch over 5Ks and needs no nose weight to balance her. she is almost exactly the same size. I supose 10% extra weight won't burden it too much Smile

Here's pic of it all together

Here's apic of them both side by side I had to out the other one together to measure where the C of G was as I didn't overly trust the instructions as they looked like they were for a different plane. But that HK I guess Biggrin

I've been tinkering with the Yak again
I made up a linkage so I can get rid of one of the servos needed to drive the split elevator
It was too much weight up the back and I would have had to add over half a Kg to the nose to balance her.

This way I think it will break even with just the lipos up the front and no added weight.
I've also swapped the heavy scale tail wheel assembly for a much lighter one and the alluminum tail plane spar for a carbon one saving a few grams there as well

Here's the linkage, It was a bit of a mission to make but it means I can still remove the tail for transport.

Nice work Jason... wouldn't of expected anything less.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

wow . look at that wing and stabilizer area !!!! i can almost hear the grunt of the prop wash flying past at a 45 degree knife edge

(20-11-2012, 10:12 PM)gbanger Wrote:  I'm sure the 12S works fine on light weight 3D airframe Jason, but I think dragging around a 9 kg plane with a lot less wing area would probably fry a few to many things.
What prop are you running mate?
What is the flight weight?
How many amps are you drawing at full tillt?
What prop are you spinning?
Don't mean to sound blunt, but 3D aircraft spend half of the flight at under half throttle,
an aircraft like the Mustang will spend most of it at over 3/4.
Running it on 12S would mean spinning an even smaller prop and the maths on that with a 9 kg airframe wont quite cut the mustard.... I would probably need a 500 meter strip to get the sucker in the blue stuff.

On the Yellow Yak I run a 19 X 6 wooden electric for about 67 Amps on 12S With an 18 X 8 APC electric prop I tink it's pulling about 75-77 Amps and with a 20 X 8 wooden It was pulling about 100A wich is close to the limit of my ESC.
I've never flown it with the 20" prop but when I tested it with the amp meter I couldn't hold the plane back with my left hand. I had to hold it with my right and do the throttle stick with my left hand. There was lots and lots of thrust.

Actually it's really over powered with the 19 X 6 and flies very well with the 18 X 8 also. It has a lot of acceleration while the top speed is not super fast, it's fast enough. With the big diameter fine pitch prop spinning at 12,000 odd RPM it has heaps of pull off the mark.

I'm running 2 X 6S 3000 packs in series to give me 12S. Normal Flight time is 5 1/2 mins with some reserve or 4 1/3 mins of full on areobatics with some reserve............my timer is set for the latter Biggrin

1/4- 1/3 throttle will fly her nicely along no probs (current < 18Amps) 1/2 throttle will have her hover and on full throttle it accelerates verticaly till it reaches top speed, which doesn't take much longer than accelerating in level in flight. But I'm guessing it only goes at about 90-100Ks max speed. I pretty much never fly it flat out in horosontal flight.

The Yak weighs 5Kgs pretty much spot on.

I just finished putting it together with everything moved to get the C of G right so I don't have to add any nose weight and I've got it to balance right on the forward most limit of C of G with out adding weight to the nose. To shift the C of G back all I have to do is move the Lipo's. I'm really happy about that. It was a bit of extra work but it saved about 1/2 Kg of balast. I'm pretty sure it's worth it !!

Here's a pic of it on my balancig jig. A handy thing for getting the C of G right especially on larger machines

Thats a nice plane Jason

(05-01-2013, 12:51 AM)wingtipper Wrote:  Thats a nice plane Jason

Thanks Frank !!

I test flew it today and was very please with how it went. There were a few minor issues that need to be sorted out. So I only had one flight even tho' I had 3 sets of batteries for it ready to go.

Firstly the prop I'm running on it is a 17X10 I think it would do better with an 18X8 APC or a 19X6 wooden prop. I've used both the latter with the other Yak. This was the first time I've tried the 17X10 and I found it a bit lacking in acceleration. It still had more than enough power to fly indefinatly verticle but it just didn't jump like the other yak does running the finer pitch props.

The light tail wheel I used on it wasn't quite able to cut the mustard it ended up being bent out of shape even after quite a nice gentle landing. All That it needs is to get a decent peice of piano wire to replace the soft hobbyking wire strut. It should be fine then.

The elevators are slightly out of line which was my mistake I didn't notice that, on one of them of them the balancer is quite bent and I ligned up the leading edges of the elevator balancers and the leading edge of the tail plane. All looks good untill you look at the trailing edges of the elevators and see that one is about 8mm lower than the other. It didn't make much difference to the way it flew tho' I adjusted the aileron trim to compensate and it flew thumbs off straight as a die. This won't be a problem to fix so I will do that before the next flight as well.

landing it was no problem, the C of G is perfict just where they suggest it to be in the instructions I wouldn't change it at all.

My rudder throw was a bit on the excessive side I didn't need anything like full rudder to hold it in knife edge so I will probably back it off a fair bit more on low rates.

I took it up to a good height and put it inot a pretty tight flat spin and then let the sticks go to see what would happen, not much infact, continuing to spin it did another turn and a half untill I gave it some opposite rudder and opened up the power a bit. Then it flew straight out no probs at all.

How does it fly?? The answer is just as to ask it too. All in all it's a very nice plane, easy to land and with no nasty suprises. Heaps of power, not overly fast but fast enough not to be bounced around by a reasonable breeze.
Basically it's an easy and enjoyable one to fly once you get used to the size of it. I would recomend this kit as being a good one. The quality of manufacture is good and much the same as the super and cheaper Yak of the same size. The HK Yak is probably slightly better designed structually but with the suggested hardware you would need to add a lot of ballest to get the C of G right which is not so good. This can be over come but it took a bit of stooging around so I'm leaning toward saying that the super and cheaper Yak is the better by the smallest of margins. It's probably a little cheeper as well. This plane does have the advantage of removable tailplanes and with the super and cheaper Yak they are fixed.

It flies a lot like the other Yak 55M as you would expect, they are very close to the same dimentions. This one weighs about 150-200 grams more. I will weigh it up propperly when I've done those few little mods but I reckon it's about 5.2Kg It balances with no extra weight added and 2 X 3000 6S lipo packs as far forward as they can go and a G 160 motor in the nose. There are lighter motors that could pull this plane around but you need the weight up there to make it balance so I'd opted to go for a decent size motor rather than adding balast.

Oh and it too seems to make strange noises in the air, just like the other Yak ???

Nice write up . The other yak flew awesome , So if this ones the same you should be wrapped .

I've got an 18X8 prop balanced and ready to go on and the tail wheel spring has been replaced with a new one that I bent up out of some thicker piano wire I got from hobbies in the hills.

Now I just have to re-align the elevators and it will be ready for another days flying

I got the chance to do a bit flying with it today.
There were two videos of it flying but the first one must have had a malfunction 'cause it was only 15 seconds long. The one Wayne took got the whiole flight and covered it very well

Thanks Wayne Nice job !!

Here it is edited, shortened and tided up a bit with some Russian Music flying music added to match the plane Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdT4Vf_O9wI