Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The rot has set in!

After putting a few batteries through the Wildcat today, I took our PZ P-51D up for a run ... oh dear, it seemed really lame on the stock power-train.

So, it was back home this afternoon and out with the tools - time for a Turnigy 3536C to be installed. Wasn't difficult and I used the standard dodgy "pseudo mount" technique of using some 25mm M3 bolts as standoffs. It doesn't look all that neat and it might be a little heavier than a customised aluminium mount, but the advantage is that you get controllable variation in the standoff distance ... and it's inexpensive Wink It requires a little care to ensure that the thrustline off the firewall is preserved, but "it ain't rocket science".

I decided it was as good a time as ever to attach a liteply brace across the narrow neck that joins the two halves of the elevator too. Been meaning to do this for weeks (... months) since Paul brought it to my attention. With an uprated power-train, it was now overdue.

Decided to put the stock T-28 propeller on it - that gives another 1.5 inches of pitch over the original 9x6 and won't cost very many electrons. It's a pretty conservative upgrade, but worth a try - chocks away tomorrow morning!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Murray

Steve there is another way of mounting that motor
if you feel inclined.
Just push the shaft through to the other end of the motor
and you can then mount it directly onto the builtin plastic mount
of the stang. Easy to do, just undo a couple of grub screws plus circlip and push through
with a vice redo circlip and grub screws and your good to go.
I'm using a MAS 10 x 8 prop on mine togethe with the parkzone prop adapter that
was stock when you got it.
I also use a Dubro 2-1/2 Spinner.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Thanks Paul - my first intention was to reverse the shaft, but don't have any circlip pliers. I tried to do it without them and quickly exhausted my complete supply of swear-words. Now that I've got it set in there, I'll probably leave it for a little while and then change it later only if I have to for some reason.

Definitely intending to step the prop size up later on - I was hoping for a 9x8 or 9x9 in my collection, but don't have one. The 9.5x7.5 will have to do for tomorrow. I've got the stock spinner on it again which is fine, since the whole upgrade was a last-minute decision Smile

Thanks again and see you tomorrow! (.... later today)

Steve Murray

Update: This upgrade is of course not uncommon, but by way of adding to the vast knowledge base already available ...

1. My "Lazy Bugger's" motor mount is alright, it's doing the job.
2. The stock T-28 9.5x7.5 prop is OK too, it's a long way from the biggest propeller that this motor can swing, but the extra 1.5" pitch gives a clear performance increase over the original setup.
3. No CoG problems and no adjustments needed to be made to fit the stock spinner.

It flew well before, but it's now faster (obviously) and seems more "firm" and "positive" if those adjectives make any sense. I'll probably try one or two more different props later on, but it's more fun to fly now and I'll leave it be for a while.

Steve Murray

yeah dad i prefer the way steve mounted it, i did the same on spree, tucano and my old t28.
i find the bolt on shaft to be alot stronger on prop strike landings (providing you flare at least a little bit) never bent a shaft that way around.

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

(22-05-2011, 08:24 PM)~KevJ~ Wrote:  i find the bolt on shaft to be alot stronger on prop strike landings (providing you flare at least a little bit) never bent a shaft that way around.

I hadn't thought of that!

Steve Murray

Neither did I Frown

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre