Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A quick and simple pusher trainer foamy

A simple depron foamie.
Having a spare motor (the stock one I removed from my fun jet) I thought I make a quick and simple foamy. One that's easy to fly nice and light with heaps of dihedral. Something to give my 9 year old daughter a bit of a go at RC flying with when she comes to stay with me. Obviously it had to be super stable and fly nice and slow.
So after a an hour or so doing cad drawings in between other tasks during the week I printed them off Thursday morning and and here's the result.

It's a pusher in an attempt to try an ensure that there is a little crumple zone before the motor and prop bit the turf. Not that that will ever happen Hahahahahahahaha Smile

Here's a pic I didn't take any of the build as I was in a super hurry I think it took about 3 1/2 hours to build her from scratch including the control horns and push rods

here's a pic

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

She looks good. Welcome to the club - simple builds get very addictive.

For easy fliers look at the Jimmy J-Bug, BYOB Bipe, Trainer One & the XS Dart. Build them bigger rather than going for small WS. THey are much more stable and the power/weight issue is lessened.

When you've got your daughter in the air, to have some fun for yourself try 3DX, McFoamy, and so many others Smile

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done Jason, looks good and I bet some lucky 9yo learner will have a blast under your watchful eye (& umbilical cord I presume). Look forward to seeing it fly.

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

Alex and I, after checking if the planets were in line which they were for a change Smile and after waiting for the sun to come up took her for a text fly friday morning.

She flew very nicely and we got a bit of video of the maiden flight
You can't please everyone you know and the plovers voiced their disapproval but must have warmed to the idea as they left me alone for the rest of the flight which is unusual. Normaly they don't let off ever.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

It looks really great Jason, congratulations are in order. I look forward to see it flying in person.

It looks and flies pretty good. Is there any chance of getting the files so I can have a crack at making one myself?
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

(14-05-2011, 05:49 PM)Kedumba Wrote:  It looks and flies pretty good. Is there any chance of getting the files so I can have a crack at making one myself?
Mick

No problems at all I can print them out for you on A3 sheets if you like. I'll have a go at converting them into .pdf format on monday then I could email them or perhaps even post them on here. Biggrin

I've got the file converted to a PDF now or I can do it as a DXF too if you prefer.
I did a couple of small mods which I included in the drawings. I made the nose a little longer
so you can adjust the C of g a little further forward if you prefer. Also I added a couple of extra braces to where the motor mounts to toughen it up a bit.
It's critical with this model to balance the prop nicely

If you'd like a copy of the drawings please email me your address and I'll send over I'll also take some photo's showing the layout of servo's controll horns batery and ESC

Cheers

Jason

Thanks for that. If you could send both, I can read both types so then I could have a choice of which to use.

My 1email is:
mickmacbronte@gmail.com
or you could post them on here. If you want to limit who has access you could post in the members only section

Thanks
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

here it is, just had to get it on this machine so I could post it my work machine's nobbeled by our internet policy Frown

.pdf pusher trainer.pdf Size: 147.87 KB  Downloads: 324

It needs some thin ply braces cut to the diheadril angle and joined on to the center spar. they need to extend out to about 3 inches towards the tip from the diheadril joint.

The other option is to use a smaller lighter motor and a lighter Lipo pack.
The trick is to not over power it so it doesn't go too fast.

Depron foam is available from srlfoamies.com

I like the simplicity of this design. Might be the next plane build for my son to fly.

Teaching him to fly is turning out to be a long exercise, but a lot of fun too!

Was good to see you out at HMAS on the weekend mate. Take care.

Thanks Ben, It was a great day !! It was good to catch up!!
I really liked the way your trycopter got allong I'd like to have a look at the plans for that one, Infact it would make a good thread for this forum!!

All the very best catch up with you soon !!

Still working on the plans, will publish them on flitetest when they are done as an article.

Starting a thread here is a good idea though. Will post some photos and a build summary here with a link to the full article. The actual plan fits on one A4 page with a full size template that you use to mark one end, then turn around to do the other side of the main frame.

The build instructions I am working on cover the new things I had to learn to work with carbon fibre and coreflute. I go in depth in a lot of areas that experienced builders will already know about.

Might be a bit much to post in one go! Especially with build photos, but the summary and plan will be good.