Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Free Flight Scale

Hi guys,
Looking for a little something different to do or build?

Why not build and fly a free flight scale model, it can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be. Power source can be electric, small Diesel engine or rubber power.

The New South Wales Free Flight Society is hosting there annual scale rally and Trans Tasmen event on the 5th and 6th of July 2014. There will be guys coming from interstate as well as overseas for this event, all are welcome to attend and have a fly.

If anyone is interested in having a go and building something, I'm here to help with anything from basic advice, plans, tissue, engines, rubber, electric systems and anything else, I can sort you out with everything.

Here are a couple of pics of a model I'm working on at the moment. It is a Lacey M10 with a wingspan of 26 inches and will be rubber powered.

Also some pics from last years event.

MT

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Oh Wow !!

Super NICE towelly

Did you have to steam those stringers on the top front section of the fuse to get that bend radius?

Keep the pics comming mate That is looking great !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks Jason,
Those stringers are 2 pieces of 1.5x3mm balsa laminated around a jig.

A quick update, nose section complete and propellor carved. Model is pretty much ready for covering, seems a shame to cover it up when they look that good naked!

MT

Nice work Mickey!
Yes, I remember last year's event and it was an eye-opener for me. Certainly something for all of us to consider because there's a good deal that we can learn from.

Steve Murray

Another update, the Lacey is now covered, doped, engine detail on the cowl and ready for a mist of paint. As it sits here it is 85 grams.

MT

That's beautifull Mick Nice work mate !!
I'd be interested to know how much that mist of paint adds to the weight of it.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

The Lacey M10 is now finished and ready to fly. I will start with 6 strands of 1/8th rubber and see how that goes, should be enough to fly it.

Jason, the paint put on 24 grams.

MT

Pic

That is AWSOME Mick !!

You really know you've built something light when the lightest mist of paint is over 25% of the all up weight !!!! That is very IMPRESSIVE !!

Good luck with the test flight mate!! Can you please get someone to Ipad video it flying and post it up here?

When my boys are a little older I'll build some models like this with them, I'd like to teach them how to build but perhaps with a little bit simpler one to start off with, I can remember building a Gypsy, with help, when I was about 10.

I think it was this one.......Wow that was more than 30 years ago now
http://www.theplanpage.com/esp/gypsy.htm

It must have inspired me, either that or it was the smell of balsa cement, cause I've loved model planes ever since. That model got flown and repaired many times and there were quite a few after as well, but a Gypsy was the first stick and tissue model for me. I can remember repairing the tissue often as it could almost allways find it self a prickle bush to land in. I grew up out in the desert in central South australia and there were, still are, plenty of prickle bushes out there. I can also remember being so imaptiant for still day so we could fly. When your a kid it takes a long time for one to come around Wink

Thanks Jason,
That is a nice looking Gypsy, before I clicked on your link I thought it may have been the Keel Kraft Gypsy. My dad and I built one of these about 25 years ago for vintage rubber, flew really well.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1359

I'll be heading out to Richmond tomorrow morning for the Friday morning old farts gathering to sort out my Lacey. And hopefully get some footage as we'll.

MT

Hi guys,
I know it's a bit of shirt notice, been busy and stuff. The Free Flight Scale Trans Tasman and scale rally is this weekend, worth a look and be there early before the weather goes bad. The Scramble on Sunday morning is an experience if you have never seen one before!

MT