Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Battery connection Q's

Hi everyone,

Just setting up the Gaui 550 I purchased recently from Skidz and I have a quick question about battery connectors.
Just got my order of 4x Turnigy 3300 6S lipo’s from HK and they have 4mm bullet connectors on them. The ESC has a Deans (I think I have the terminology right!). Is it best to

A) Replace all the battery connectors with Deans
B) Replace ESC connector with male 4mm bullet connector?

I am thinking replace the ESC connector (less work), I guess easiest would be to buy a separate converter (if they are available) but that means more inefficient connectors, more wire/weight etc…

Any comments/suggestions??

Many thanks – I hope to see you down the field this weekend – prob Sunday, weather looking great!

Graham

This sort of thing is a hassle - I'd replace the Deans connector on the ESC myself (and I've been meaning to do the same to most of mine). Being stuck with almost equal numbers of Deans and other connectors, and hating soldering, I've made a couple of adapters, but that's only a stop-gap solution. Deans connectors are on the way out - and a good thing too! I can show you on the weekend where we discovered a fundamental nasty fault in their design (it's a little difficult to describe without the objects right in front of us).

I'm surprised that the battery came with bullets, most of them these days seem to come with XT60 connectors on them.

Steve Murray

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm pretty sure they're bullets (my terminology may be out!) - these are the ones I have...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=14727

Just want to check I'm doing the 'right' thing (whatever that is) before I unleash the soldering iron!!

Cheers,

Graham

Yep - you're right Graham, they're not the XT60's I was expecting to see.

Certainly you won't be taking a backward step if you get rid of the Deans though, that much I can be positive of! Have fun and catch you tomorrow.

Steve

Steve Murray

Hi Steve & Graham,

The Bullet type of connector used on the 5S & 6S batteries are used because of the current they can deliver.

Keep these on the battery & make sure you purchase the other end - it's cheaper to buy them as a pair from HK.

I had to make adapters & currently run about 4 different types

Remember therse will have to be charged -what's on your charger?

I was not going to change all my planes etc to accomodate the different connectors, hence that is why I made the adapters.

Show you tomorrow if the weather holds.

Dingy

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

Thanks Dingy,

Yes good point about the charger. It is a Deans connection also – but will be easy to buy a different lead/adapter for that.

I think I will pop by RC Hobbies later this avo and pick up a few connectors, have a couple of beers, put the soldering iron on and see what comes out the other end!

Cheers,

Graham

Hi Graham
Ive been trying to convert some of our stuborn club members over to Bullets for a while.
DONT get ride of them.
The are much much easier to solder that any other connecter, they carry much higher current and if you look at the Batteries sold by HK you will find all the bigger batteries are now running Bullets.
I use Bullets on every single one of my aircraft and obviously all my batteries.
Up to 3S I use 3mm bullets and everything 4S up has 4mm.
They have been a very under rated connecter for quite some time but research shows the times they are a changing.
Bullets Rock !!!!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Keep the bullet connectors on the batteries!! It is also easy to obtain (or make) a charger lead with bullet connectors also. That is what I use.

The Gaui 550 was originally designed to use 2 x 2600mah 3S batteries in series. Deans connectors were what most 3S batteries had 18 months or more ago. XT60 connectors took over but they are limited to smaller batteries. The Gaui ESC had a Deans connector to connect to the dual 3S batteries.

When the configuration was changed to Turnigy 6S lipos, they arrived with 4mm bullets. Instead of ripping the Deans connector off, I made a Deans to 4mm bullet adaptor. I use that adaptor to this day as it is on the Trex500. I moved it back and forth as you can only fly one heli at a time right?

Changing the ESC connector side to 4mm bullet is the way to go. If you didn't get the right connectors from the LHS, let me know and I will bring some down for you. I have two bags of them that I got from ZeeJays. For some reason the twin connector type found on the batteries is harder to find in LHSs.

I won't be down the field until after 12.30pm though. Kid's sport in the morning.

For whats its worth, i use EC3's & 5's.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Cheers everyone,

Didn't leave work early enough to get to the LHS for connectors etc., instead spent some time modifying the canopy to fit the 3300's in!! Smile - Just about managed it, a little tight in there and a touch nose heavy (only very slightly so hopefully won't be a problem).

I've got a fusuno canopy on order which I believe has a little more space (just to put my 'stamp' on the Gaui Skidz!).

Will get some connectors tomorrow and hopefully see you down the field on Sunday.

Graham

PS - assuming I'm ready to give it a go on Sunday, is it OK to come down the field and (try to) fly it? Do I need to sign anything, pay any money etc., etc..?? I intend to join the club (if you'll have me) but I hear it's best to do that in July when the insurance renews??? If I do fly, I recommend everyone sit in their cars with the windows up when I spool up Wink

I have read in a magazine that planes flying nose heavy, fly difficult, planes flying tail heavy fly once. A little modification after debut will tell the story

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8