Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HK Micro P-40

Hi,
Saw Hobbyking had a Micro P-40 on a Flash sale for only $30 so I thought I'd take a chance and ordered one.

Anyways it arrived today and I've put it together and I'd thought I'd write up a bit of a report. The pics aren't great cause I used my iPhone cause my regular camera is broke Frown

It come in a box that was well packed with bubble wrap that seemed to protect it pretty well.

Unpacking the box showed the various components to be fairly well packed but nothing was labled. Not recommened for a beginner build.

The First big challenge was the instruction manual. Not a lot of english in it at all. What little english what there was made some very creative uses of phrasing and grammer!

Time to get to work. Opening the baggies revealed the smallest brushless motor I had ever seen! This thing is tiny...

First thing todo I think (manual wasn't too clear, I tried to follow the pictures as best I could as it showed a different plane) was to mount the servo's and speed controller.

Next, mount the reciever and the control rods. Not a lot of room inside so this step involved a bit of fiddling to get everything to fit neatly.

Glue the two halves of the fuse together and set aside to dry.

Glue on the tail fins and mount the control rods and control horns

Main wing halves snap together then mount onto the fuse with platic pins. Attach the prop and all finished apart from adding the decals

The whole build took about 4 hours, however 2 of those hours were spent chasing after my 2 year old who insisted getting into mischief the minute I'd take my eyes off her to glue something.

Also, important note: check the direction of the motor BEFORE gluing the fuse together so that you know it spins the right way. Trust me, not fun having to pry the foam apart cause I got the plug on backwards!

Finally, I didn't realsie that this was onyl a 3 channel plane (no airleons) until after I had ordered it. A bit of research shows that some people have added airelons to these micro planes so I've also ordered a Dubro Micro Aileron System which is on its way. I'll fly it as is first before attempting an upgrade.

Finally, I have to figure out how to charge the battery. It uses a tiny little connector of a type I've not seen before. Any one have suggestions?

Mick

**Edit to correct link

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Hey I know this is an old post but I just bought one of these ( last few are on sale now) and was wondering

How well the Aileron upgrade worked out?

Also where did you end up putting the Battery?

And how far back is the CG?

Thanks in advance
Ian

Wow this is an old post! My mischievous 2 year old is now a very mischievous 6 almost 7 year old!

I honestly don't know how much useful information I can give you as I haven't had this plane for a long time and I can't really remember too many details. I do know that it was no longer flying by the time the ailerons arrived by mail from china.

The reason is more my fault than anything else. It was quite tricky to fly even for a 3 channel model. Not sure how much of that was due to my inexperience and how much was due to the model. I do remember it had to fly quite fast to stay in the air, almost full throttle most of the time. I had several quite hard crashes with it and ended up retiring it after the hot glue holding it together exceeded the original weight of the plane!

As a side not, it did strip out the moter and servos and used them to make a tiny ultralight tissue and balsa plane which was intended to be an indoor flyer, however a gust of wind turned it into splinters whilst on a test flight in my front yard which also damaged the motor and speed controller so even that was put to bed.

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Hey Thanks for getting back to me, I am assuming that the HK micro P40 won't be much different then the Micro 182 Cessna ( I do have this plane) that they used to sell other then the change from high wing to a low wing, I will try adding Ailerons first before building the P40, Do you remember where you put the battery in the plane? I see in the photos that there is a hole in the side, is that where they recommend putting the battery?
I am also going to cut the canpoy and make it a hatch to get at the receiver and possibly put the battery there, Going to use a 2s 350mah battery or possibly even a 2s 500mah, I like to long flight times, I do that with all my planes going a few sizes bigger in batteries for longer flight times,
Anyway thanks for getting back to me
Ian
ps I'll post some flight pics and videos in about a month or so as we are in the dead of winter right now (Canada) and there is to much snow on the ground for any ground takeoffs, also very cold here

Hey one more question, how long if you remember was your flight time on the 200mah battery

Here are my build and modification photos for the Hobbyking Micro P-40 Warhawk

Added
Ailerons
Removable Canopy Cockpit

also used clear tape (not glue) to put the 2 halves together
( incase I ever had to open it up again )
waiting to make a maiden flight, to windy this weekend

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)