Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flying Report

(15-05-2011, 06:17 PM)gbanger Wrote:  They go off like a brides nightie.
Gazzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Or like sh*t off a shovel? Biggrin

After coming off third-best in a tussle with the lines this weekend, I found this little gem from an old plan - it's certainly true in respect of it being lethal to planes, if not pilots.

... and ain't that the truth Smile

Steve Murray

Dateline 4th June 2011.

Headline:

I am no longer a Helicopter Loop Virgin!

Enlisting the help of Dave H and a LOT of adrenaline, I lost my virginity this morning on a rain soaked and fairly boggy strip. I enjoyed it so much (they told me I would) that I did 4 with the 1st battery pack, had a rest and a smoke (oh hang on I don't smoke!), told the heli that I really do respect her, and did it all over again, and again and again.

I just realised that saying Dave helped me sounds wrong on SO many levels!! Oh well, we are only human. Smile

The video is up on the "video" forum. It's rated "H". Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Well done BB. Congratulations on passing through the upside-down barrier.

A few of us (fixed wings guys) headed out to Penrith today to sample their field.
A really nice bunch that were very welcoming to us PRCAC guys.
The flying conditions were all but perfect. The field was as dry as a leppers armpit, the runway is about the same length as ours but has float in unrestricted approaches from both ends.
Thanks to the PEMAC members for making us welcome, a very enjoyable day.

PS: PRCAC has been invited to Penrith on the 18th and 19th of June for a swap meet with flying and a BBQ all are welcome.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(05-06-2011, 07:12 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Thanks to the PEMAC members for making us welcome, a very enjoyable day.

PS: PRCAC has been invited to Penrith on the 18th and 19th of June for a swap meet with flying and a BBQ all are welcome.

Nice. Pencilled into the calendar...

Meanwhile, back at the home field, while I was there this morning Darren had the Porter out (see the Video Clips thread for some great footage), Graham got some hover practice in, a couple of congenial prospective members (Erik and George) dropped by for a check flight with Darren... and then everyone was kind enough to go and leave me with a couple of hours of solo access to near perfect conditions. Thumbup

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Sounds like fun! I look forward to saying g'day to a few of the Penrith boys, fingers crossed the field is up for it!

(05-06-2011, 07:12 PM)gbanger Wrote:  PS: PRCAC has been invited to Penrith on the 18th and 19th of June for a swap meet with flying and a BBQ all are welcome.

See the post in the Members forum for the details. Thought I'd post it there as it contains Marks (the president) phone number.
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

(05-06-2011, 07:12 PM)gbanger Wrote:  ... the runway is about the same length as ours but has float in unrestricted approaches from both ends.

Yeh, Darren's assertion that "If you can fly at the PRCAC field, you can fly anywhere!" would seem to be right. There are a couple of trees at PEMAC, but they don't present anything like the same restrictions that we're used to. A great little field.

Echo Gazz's comments - we were made very welcome again and had a great day out there!

Steve Murray

Arrived at the field this morning at 9.30 to find 7 cars full of people waiting eagerly to commit aviation.
The day started sunny and clear with a light breeze that turned into a strong gusting wind by 10am.
Only a few brave souls ventured into the blue stuff as the elements were intent on playing tricks on anyone who wanted to play.
Unfortunately Steve had a gust pitch this Stryker into one of the power towers and as you would expect Steves aircraft was pretty much destroyed. He wasnt complaining though..... I think it may have been an evil plot to persuade his wife into letting him purchase a new Stryker F27Q.... Good thinking Steve.
A cast of thousands appearded to hover around as I tried to sort out my new Deuces Wild.
Thanks to all particularly Steve for helping sort the monster out.
After an hour and a half of mixing and sorting I had the aircraft ready for its maiden.... the sky however was not being very accommadating with wind gusts over 40kph. It took up the PC9 for a familiarity flight and it was not pretty... so my appolagies to those who waited patiently for take off, discretion was the option taken today, I was not going to risk flying an untried new $1800 aircraft in shit conditions....
Attached is a pic of my new beastie.
See you all next weekend.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

A good decision to delay the maiden. Shoot, that is one very nice plane.

Yeh, it was a good call Gazz - and I was happy enough just to hold on to it during the full-throttle test. My "strain gauge" tells me that it won't come up short!

Steve Murray

(10-07-2011, 10:28 PM)gbanger Wrote:  It took up the PC9 for a familiarity flight and it was not pretty... so my appolagies to those who waited patiently for take off, discretion was the option taken today, I was not going to risk flying an untried new $1800 aircraft in shit conditions....

No apologies necessary - apologies for making up the numbers in the expectant peanut gallery. Biggrin

And after seeing the PC9 tossed about I dare say we'd have collectively restrained you from fulfilling any other decision.

Can't wait to see you put it through its paces on a nice day soon!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Discretion is the better part of valor Gaz.. Leet I enjoyed watching set up anyway, learned me a few things (Thanks Dave) ..
.. Sweet looking beast.. Good story on the deal you got.. Look forward to your Maiden.. Thumbup

After thought .. Imagine the awesome sounds with twin 'sound card thingy's' like Andrew was running in his Spitfire I think it was.. Wired

Rob
Belt CP 3D - CNC Head + Tail Leet
Various Co-Axial choppers micro to large Smile

You are spot on Rob, dont need sound card thingies, you should hear the great sound of the big twins at full throttle, the ground test blew me away, not only does it sound pretty sweet but its got big balls and the static ground pull to rip the legs off a table and it seriously makes my PC9's thrust seem lttle placid.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't apologise for making a good decision, Gazz.

I didn't think it was going to fly with those "little wing stubs" anyway..I'm glad you put the optional wing extenders on. Smile Look forward to this saturday (If I can drag the car away from my wife).

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Well I must say it was a great day day for flying weather wise today and that the field has dried out very nicely from what it was like on Saterday.

I had a very enjoyable morning Giving the Yaks and the RearBears a good workout. Smile

Great fun !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

+1. A ripper day (more please Mr weatherman!)

I missed out on flying on Saturday but heard it was a bit gusty with the wind which meant the pilots needed to be gutsy.
Today was an absolute pearler of a day for flying and saw quite a few turn up to punch holes in the sky. We even had this guy turn up who looked a bit familiar, but when the striker started flat spinning like a blender we realised it was our very own speedster Steve "Samste" Blazevic. Welcome back, good to see you buddy. A couple of planes have been retrieved today courtesy of Samste's ladder, Eamon's push-me-pull-you and a Bixler so far unclaimed.
"Craig & Co" (Craig, Speedy & Adam) gave a great display with speed & 3D on the repertoire, well done guys.
Bob was back on the scene after a period of absence through illness. Welcome back & good to see you getting the hang of your quadcopter
Dimitri has now experienced the magnetic powers of the trees beside the left to right approach but not until after a good display in the air. Glad there was not too much damage to the plane, nothing that some spare iron-on film and an iron wont fix. Just a friendly reminder to others, that lantana will cut you to pieces without gloves, I hope your puncture wounds heal quick Dimitri.
Greg brought along his new trainer plane, a few trimming test flights and it is ready for him to get it up in the air for some much needed practice.
Chris Mc brought a few planes and his unique sense of humour to the field and showed off his much improved flying skills. Well done Chris you have come a long way in a short time.
Helijeli showed off much improved skills with his eggbeater.
Andy shared the skies under the watchful eye of his son Tim (come on Tim, join dad in the sky).
I had my Eratix, PA Addiction & Ultimate up in the air today and courtesy of the Addiction finally had a successful prolonged prop-hang (more the quality of the plane than the skill of the pilot), so I had a pleasing day flying.
All in all, a great days flying in ideal conditions & shows that practice & persistence will eventually produce the skills to enjoy the skies in this wonderful hobby.

It was a great day indeed. Great weather for flying at a Great Club. The banter between members, various insults, put downs and willingness to advise on anything flying wise show the closeness and camaraderie of the members. Samste certainly copped enough when he got out of his Van.
Thanks again to Wayne for getting there early to set up and assisting Greg to get a kite in the air.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.