Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FPV wing build thread

(04-04-2011, 01:43 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Awesome, I love your work!

I take it you've been looking at Trappy's stuff Wink

Oh yes Definatly Trappy is the inspiration behind getting this old sloapy up and flying again as an FPV wing. It's pretty much just what Trappy uses.

The air frame trappy uses is a "Zephyr" by Ritewing
Here's a link http://www.ritewingrc.com/

The zephyr is wire cut EPP foam with carbon spars I'm not sure what airfoil they are using but the plan form is certainly very similar to my wing.
Trappy's motor mount is aluminum and sort of fitted and epoxy'd into the wing in the same pusher configuration as mine. I've had a look at his build threads and they are very nicely done. Trappy also has everything sunken into the wing there is nothing except the camera and the VTX antenna sticking up. So my build is a bit of a compromise of sorts and won't be nearly as slippery as his machines. Trappy uses some sort of heavy covering on the epp as well and has changed it on a later build for some equally unfamiliar covering material. It must work well cause his plane certnly flies the part !!!

My machine is made from M grade polystyrene foam and is cut with an RG-15 profile at the wing root and SD8000 at the tips. It's like this because the SD8000 section stalls at a lower Re than the RG15 section so it helps a lot to prevent tip stall. There is no twist cut into my cores but the elevons are noticeably tapered larger towards the tips. This has the effect of adding an artificial twist as elevator is applied. It's like having washout when you need it, ie in a high G turn, with elevons up, when the wings are working hard at a High angle of attack and then no wash out when your flying fast and flat with elevons at neutral. It's a neat trick of geometry and it really works a treat !! The other thing about this is that it's symmetrical if you do a hard outside turn then the geometrically induced twist produces negative washout and stops high speed stall of the tips in negative maneuvers as well. How nice is that ??

Quote:I really like your total disregard for the initial function, carving holes and notches where it suits for your equipment Smile. I really like building and experimenting. When you work from a known good base the results are often quite pleasing - but sometimes terrible.

I hope this build retains all the intended characteristics from its sloping days.

I hope so too Drew, the thing that has me slightly concerned is that the optimum C of G position will probably change after taking that chunk of wing area out of the back to clear the prop. I'm thinking it should make it more nose heavy if anything, when it balances at it's original place. That's where I'll start and hope for the best. Smile

Here's a pic of the covering finished on the bottom. It's just covered in good quality clear wide packing tape for the most part and the leading edge has a strip of glass reinforced packing tape to toughen the first 2 inches from the LE.

Down the center of the wing is a strip of 1mm ply curved to the shape of the airfoil. Glewed on with the same epoxy filler mix, It acts as a load spreader for the tow hook's attachment. There is a smaller doubler on the inside of it sunken into the core I've marked where it is with green pen so I have a little more meat for the screws that will hold on the wooden skid that also will double as a tow hook for bunjee launching All this is under the tape by the way and the tow hook will screw on outside of the tape. ........ ... ............. I'm not super keen to get my fingers close to that prop going flat chat.

Here's a pic of the under side the c of G is at about the most aft green span wise line.

Here's a pic of how the canopy is held on at the back

Here is the colour scheem for the top it's red with white stripes.
well a bit of red iron on film overlapping the bare foam and filament tape
one more peice to Iron on Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Messages In This Thread
FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 03-04-2011, 07:23 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by smuzz - 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 03-04-2011, 08:19 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by kizza42 - 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by Drew - 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 05-04-2011, 02:35 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 10-04-2011, 09:26 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by Drew - 11-04-2011, 07:47 AM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by popeyepete - 11-04-2011, 04:20 PM