Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Club Website/Forum Maintenance

Over the next few days I will be making some changes to the way the club website/forum is hosted.

This is a direct result of a security breach at the clubs webhost which resulted in some page code being compromised.

The vast minority of you still crazy enough to be running Internet Explorer in this day and age would have been the only people affected by the issue which has now been temporarily patched by me. In the long term I suggest you check out Firefox or Chrome as a browser or at the very least, Internet Explorer 9.

As well as shoring up security, I will be removing the prefix from our web address. It will just be http://www.rcflyingclub.com for the website and http://forum.rcflyingclub.com for the forum. You will have to update your bookmarks!

Thanks for your work on this website, Kieran.
I think everyone here agrees that our website is one of the best RC sites around, and the forum....well, it's second to none. Keep up the good work.

The new www. will be much easier to remember to tell people.

AR.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Great work mate
You're doing a sterling job .

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Any feature requests while I'm at it? Will do my best to implement.

No I can't install a sunny weather with no wind generator Wink

I'd like to be able to list posts in newest first order when opening a discussion. THe discussions can appear that way when you open a forum but not at the msg level.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Now, here's a challenge for you Kieran ...

A flashing green light somewhere up near the banner on the main forum page, which indicates that one of the members has a Phoenix PRCAC session up and running, to be updated in real-time! Now that would take some scripting Smile

Steve Murray

Congratulations!
By reading this message you have made it to the new url! You get a cookie for your effort*

Cookie non existant

(01-04-2011, 07:57 PM)Drew Wrote:  I'd like to be able to list posts in newest first order when opening a discussion. THe discussions can appear that way when you open a forum but not at the msg level.

Looking into it, there is a way to do it but it would affect the whole board which I wont do, was there a particular thread you want it to happen on?

(01-04-2011, 08:23 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Now, here's a challenge for you Kieran ...

A flashing green light somewhere up near the banner on the main forum page, which indicates that one of the members has a Phoenix PRCAC session up and running, to be updated in real-time! Now that would take some scripting Smile
They don't seem to have a web API for me to piggyback on Frown

(04-04-2011, 08:50 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  You get a cookie for your effort*

Looking into it, there is a way to do it but it would affect the whole board which I wont do, was there a particular thread you want it to happen on?

got it!!!

I just like to be able to click on threads and work backwards thorugh the posts. I'm getting used to clicking on the last page of athread and doing Ctrl-End before reading.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Reverse chronological order!?!

Are you aware that this button will take you to the first unread post in a thread? Scroll down from there!

(04-04-2011, 08:50 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  
(01-04-2011, 08:23 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Now, here's a challenge for you Kieran ...

They don't seem to have a web API for me to piggyback on Frown

I was quite taken with this idea, and spent a bit of time tonight trying a way that's just mad enough to perhaps work...

Using wireshark, captured the UDP stream that Phoenix itself sends when establishing a connection, and made a quick-and-dirty Python script to replay the stream and capture the response back - seem to be able to extract the list of servers/ips/names/etc despite the API itself being entirely opaque.

Kieran, are we able to run a Python script every few minutes (i.e. cron) on the web server? If so, assuming such a script can be made to work reliably, it might be one approach (i.e. get it to output the status/# members flying on the PRCAC field to file every few minutes, and slurp that in to the forum html)

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Am happy to give you a shell account to test with if you wanna give it a go. From there I'm sure we can work it into a header somewhere.

Failing that, in a few weeks I should have a new vmware box up at home and we can run anything we want then.

Nice work Claudio - that sounds promising Smile
Sniffing the UDP stream, you're getting it straight from the horses mouth - who needs an API?
Great!

Steve Murray

(05-04-2011, 10:50 AM)yarrumevets Wrote:  who needs an API?

↑ Lazy webmaster does!

Nah - webmaster isn't lazy, Phoenix guys are lazy!

Steve Murray

(05-04-2011, 01:09 AM)kizza42 Wrote:  Am happy to give you a shell account to test with if you wanna give it a go. From there I'm sure we can work it into a header somewhere.

I've bashed the script into what seems to be a usable enough state.

It checks the list of Phoenix servers, and if there is a "PRCAC" site in "Australia" it (currently) just outputs the host's name and the number of users to a file (or otherwise).

Not sure what the next steps might be to push this info into the forum code (was thinking that instead of hitting the Phoenix server up every couple of minutes all hours of the day, it might be nicer to show the virtual field status on the forum with an AJAXy "last updated" / refresh button), but I'll send you an email separately with the details...

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

Nice work Claudio - jeez it's good to have clever mates Smile
See you at the field tomorrow?

Steve Murray

(10-04-2011, 01:34 AM)yarrumevets Wrote:  See you at the field tomorrow?

Going to have to skip this weekend unfortunately... whole family have a touch of the sniffles at the moment. Sick

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

You didn't miss much mate - yesterday was alright, but today it was blowing a gale Frown
Get well soon and see you next weekend instead - I hope!

Steve Murray

Just tried to PM a fellow member and dont seem to have access to PM on the forum. Who is he forum admin? Can I please get settings updated??

Sorry Rob, you will be granted access to members only section of the forum as well as PM's after 3 months probation period.