Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A newbies post

A vote of thanks to all who have made me feel so welcome.
A special mention to John Hale who intiiated me into the watching my plane doing a vertical landing. I surprised myself at how calmly I accepted the not so graceful landing, a calm created by friendly words of wisdom from many who gave me an expectation of the inevitable.
Many thanks to Drew for the time you have donated to me in providing valuable information for prop & servo selection. Will try not to overuse the privelege given so far.
I followed the same routine in binding my newly arrived Cessna 182 as I successfully did with the Corsair, but all I get is repetative short beeps from the ESC and accompanying "twitches" of the prop. I even tried using the receiver from the Cessna. My suspicions are a faulty ESC or motor. All suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,

Wayne

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

Short beeps like that sound like an unprogrammed throttle range on the ESC.

To Program:
-Remove prop in case of unwanted motor spin up!
-Have radio on and throttle all the way UP!
-Connect battery
-Wait for several beeps, a break then another beep.
-Move throttle to zero position
-Esc should beep again and then signify that its armed
-Try throttle, taking care of spinning motor

Thanks for the reply Kieran,
Followed instructions which appeared to work, however prop, although did respond to throttle, did not return to zero and idled over.
Disconnected battery, turned off radio. Reconnected battery, turned on radio & repetative beeps resumed.

Cheers,
Wayne

Amelia Earhart

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

One other thing to check Wayne - make sure that your throttle trim is completely zeroed.

Steve Murray

Thanks steve, but excuse my ignorance for terminologies.
As Pauline Hanson says "Please edxplain"Biggrin
pardon my typing too

Amelia Earhart

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

No worries Wayne - your ESC won't arm properly (with differing beeping and behaviour, depending on the whim of the manufacturer) if the throttle isn't at the extremities of travel. Usually, the throttle needs to be fully on (or up) when you want the ESC to go into the "program" mode, which is why Kieran was prescribing a sequence of steps above that would cater for that.
When you've finished programming it, and just want to use the thing as a speed control, it needs to have the throttle stick fully off at start-up. When you mentioned that the motor is still ticking over when the throttle is fully off, then it sounds like there's some trim on your throttle stick which should be removed. You should check against this by getting your transmitter and selecting down-trim on your throttle until there isn't any positive offset there. You've got a DX6i, so it will have a little linear scale on the display telling you how much trim is has. If it has any trim on the throttle, then push down until it's all gone.
Let us know if that helps.

Steve Murray

Check to see if the throttle is not reversed in your radio. If it is working back to front, you will go nuts trying to go through the sequences.

Thanks to all.
Frustration setting in. Have tried every suggestion & feel like I am fighting a losing battle. Will bring to field on Saturday & try for some live help. Apologies to all whose time I have wasted.
Have even tried locating on line suggestions to no avail.
Will do my best to become self sufficient, and will appreciate your patience until that time.
Cheers,

Wayne

Amelia Earhart

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

Hi Wayne,

I went thru the process earlier tonight using a DX7.

First I suggest setting your DX6i on that model to "Reset" - Factory to clear all previous entries.

Make sure your throttle down towards you ( Off position)

Take off the prop for safety.

Connect the binding plug to the receiver - make sure the signal wires are in correct location to receiver.

Put on the battery to plane - receiver should start flashing evenly.

Put on transmitter whilst holding in bind button @ same time - mines on the back.

Should bind in a couple of seconds and & stop flashing LED stays on steady.

Disconnect battery,turn off take transmitter take off binding plug.

Turn on transmitter, connect battery -Try all control to see if the correct orientation.

Try the motor - if it does not start or have full power, take battery off.

Place throttle full forward reconnect battery, it shall beep twice lower throttle to off position - towards you (down)...........

Try motor throttle it should now respond & have full power & full travel.

This is what I did tonight - works fine!

All the best,

Ingo

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

Thanks Ingo,
Followed instructions very carefully, even managed to find "reset'.
A glimmer of successful fulfilment filled my grey matter when the "oh Susanna" tune eminated from the ESC and the prop obeyed all commands. The temptation to give it an unpowered maiden flight off the balcony has now disappeared.
Now all I need is some clear weather, the falsification of the BOM forecasted 30 km/h winds on Saturday, and I might even get it into the air .
Cheers for now & see you all on Saturday, weather permitting.
Bugger, just when I thought all was well, I have found one last snag. Cessna comes with flaps (or flaperons, haven't learnt difference yet). I have the OrangeRx Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 6Ch 2.4Ghz receiver installed and cant work out where to attach flap servo lead. Have tried the Aux & Gear sockets but the flap switch on DX6i doesnt operate flaps.
Cheers.

Amelia Earhart

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

I wouldn't be to concern on getting flaps to work on maiden and if need be just a bit of tape on each flap control to hold center firm if there flapping easily.

Steve Smile

But if you want too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apVSG4cu_N8

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi Wayne,

To get the flaps working, plug the servo into the 5th channel of the orange receiver. Gear up/down will now work the flaps. I do agree with Stephen that for the maiden don't use the flaps.

John H

Many thanks to John & Kevin for your assistance Saturday. I really appreciate your contributions to my huge learning curve. Please let me know if I am consuming too much of your "flying time".
Did not go to the field Sunday, have much work to do on my Cessna learners plane that hopefully will make it into the air instead of just teaching me the mechanics of the thing.
Ground away the corner of the aileron servo mount to allow full movement of the flap servo arm and noticed that when the servo arm was in the position that touched that mount, the clevis was hard up against the servo.
Repositioned arm & adjusted clevises to take up difference. Reshaped the bevel on the flaps to minimise the distance between flaps & wings. This allowed re-taping without standing proud of wing & minimised tape hinge slack.
Replacement of the servo with the stripped gear and it should be ready for a maiden flight. Did I say "should be ready", change that to "might be", add "remote chance" if you like.
Cheers
Wayne

Amelia Earhart

Spektrum DX6i & DX8