Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kev's Easy Sport 40 Re-Build Thread

Gday All

Thanks to Kev he has kindly donated the Easy Sport 40 (hereon ES40) to myself as an experimental test bed in regards to build and design techniques.
There are a few things we know about the ES40:
1- It is a great design.
2- Kev did an awesome job of building her.
3- Its flight stability looked very good
4- I weighs a ton or two.
5- Sucked an enormous amount of amps.

Due to the above I had a few options mentally floating around, all involved reducing the weight substantially and removing the need for the massive amount of added noseweight to balance. Ideally I wanted have swags of lift and a fairly low stall speed.

The photo below indicates the direction I have chosen. I had cut out a couple of foam core wings a few months ago to teach myself the technique and also to have a shot at skinning, the wing was destined for the Precedent Hi Boy, as you can see I have found another use for it.

So, the ES40 is going to become a biplane and I am just about to drill out about 40 zillion holes in the structure to drop the weight. Am also toying with the idea of making her a twin with the nacelles mounted midspan inter wing.

Thanks for the opportunity Kev, much appreciated. Look forward to you having a flight when she is done and dusted.

Seeing as I first bought the kit almost 12 years ago I shall be watching this
thread with great interest.
You certainly think "outside the square" Rob. Smile
Good luck, can't wait to see finished article.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Gday Paul

Thanks for dropping her off, it is going to be an interesting journey with this one.
FYI I have been busily drilling and have already knocked off almost a kilo from the fuselage all aft of the wing.
Lookin' good so far!

Cheers
Rob Byrnes

I dub thee "Flying Swiss Cheese!" Great work on the weight removal Rob, I reckon go 4 small engines and make it a scale Handley Page H.P 42 "Flying banana"

Welcome to weight reduction 101. We indeed have Swiss Cheese. As Kev built her like a brick outhouse there has been no reduction in strength or rigidity with all the removed material. Goes to show a great, albeit overengineered design.
1.7 kilos dropped and still aft of the wing, havn't even tidied up the holes yet!

ROFLMAO!!!

awesome work rob, i cant wait to see it fly again..

you are right it was built strong , could tell by the way it chewed up the impact and spat it out with very little damage! i reckon there is about 1/2 kilo of epoxy! Biggrin

i can tell you it flew like a school bus before.. steady as to get the kids to school not my thing but im sure with your big improvements it will be a heap of fun.. Wink

i cant believe your gonna add a wing and maybe two motors .. like i said awesome :!:

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

oh also i forgot to mention....

your nuts! Lol

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

im hard at work on my easy sport replacement..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Gday Kev

She looks like a highly aerobatic machine, good stuff. I got massively bogged last night working out the wing positions for the ES40 biplane conversion. I had forgotten just how "dry" the findings of Betz Fuchs and Hopf were, however they wrote the book on effective biplanes way back in 1914. Their various equations still stand and are extremely useful.However doing the number crunching has temporarily broken my brain. So I am tweaking up my new glider for some mental relief.

Very sick of this weather, if I do not get a fly in soon I am going to go insane.

Cheers
Rob Byrnes

Gday All

Wing angles and offsets all calculated, cabane almost 100% installed, dry fit up shown below.

Looking good! Another vote for a semi scale H.P 42!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

lol your nutz!
but i think thats cool man..

i cant wait to see this monster fly!

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

How about of few of these to power the ol' gal!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=11028

Scratch that, you need the 9cylinder version!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=11029

Gday All
Here's a quick fleet update:

1.64m EP Glider (now 50% Zap-A-Gap) -- Rippin along happily with an improved motor that came out of Kieran's old MX. Top fun to fly! Biggrin

GWS P40 Warhawk -- It's a GWS therefore it is currently awaiting repair, need to pop a motor in and she's "good" to go. In no rush whatsoever to do this. :|

F-27 (Ted) Stryker -- Mwwhhaahahahaha, undergoing some tweaks at the moment, Icon_twisted :ugeek:

Hobbico Twinstar -- Needs a couple of motors, esc's and batteries, these will be ordered soon, I hope to have her in the air net in June where she will be a test bed for the motor/ esc/ battery combo I will then use in the Easy Sport bipe. :idea:

Easy Sport 40 Bipe -- Still a way to go, am working on it slowly due to the fact the Twinstar needs to fly before it will. Lol

Thunder Tiger Piper J3 Cub -- She's big and yellow and I need to fly her more, all smiles from me Biggrin

Hobby Zone Super Cub -- I need to hack out a space for the battery and she is ready to roll, not sure why I do not have this done as yet Redfaceops:

ST Cessna (The Antichrist) --Victor hated it, I enjoyed flying it then stacked it. Then the bloody thing took a bite out of my hand afters repairs! More than likely to become the airborne equivalent of a punching bag :x

Thunder Tiger Soaring Star -- Ready to go, will make an appearance soon

Walkera ? Helicopter -- Helicopters fly because they are so ugly the earth is repelled, nah seriously, dusted this off a while back had a bit of a fly, stacked her. Now needs new rotor head, may get around to this eventually

JR X2610 36mhz / Spektrum DX7