Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Helicopters - not just 3D!!

(01-11-2011, 10:03 PM)gbanger Wrote:  They look like Hacker motors to me Dave?

How can you tell? Is the purple that obvious?

Physics 101 for helis inside a moving truck! (more crazy stuff from those European nut jobs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBR6r_5DvGw

That's friggn nuts, and then they do it inverted!!!!

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

That looked like my normal hovering! Smile

What will they do next? See how many Trex 700's it takes to lift a man?

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

That's fantastic Dave. Do you have a spare channel on your TX to do that with the Logo? Christmas Party time would be great for the kids!....and some adults,Smile

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Yeeaaahhhh, bring it on Dave!

We should try something like that.
I have an advantage because I've already done some drops. And my heli is already decorated Smile
But you have an advantage because you're a better pilot.

Hmm, should be fun. Smile

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Well I just need to learn to fly these Helis!
Took mine around the Block to a secluded old Quarry with enough room for Hover practice. The grass could use a mow though resulting in having to clean a lot of green coating off (mainly) the tail rotor blades. I actually managed to Hover for a few seconds at a time up to a couple of feet before realizing that that was too scary and then getting it back on the ground. It certainly manages to cover lateral distance quickly if you dont keep on top of it. Actually happy with the wide feet that Graham put on the Gaui - makes it pretty stable when you do some slightly sideways landings. Just have to watch not to drop it to the ground too quickly (none of the cushioning you get when using training gear).
Dave - I'm still getting that glitching happening even after tightening the tail rotor belt. It seems to be be motor power cutting out momentarily every now and then. I've noticed it happen (not to the same extent though) to my planes on occasion when flying - just a power hiccup every now & then - will have to investigate.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

(13-12-2011, 06:06 PM)johnjelovic Wrote:  Dave - I'm still getting that glitching happening even after tightening the tail rotor belt. It seems to be be motor power cutting out momentarily every now and then.

John, the tail drive belt wasn't the cause of the glitches. It was just a show stopper on the day. The glitches have to be power. Please check all wires, solder joints and connectors from battery to motor and through the ESC. It was pretty frequent so I am thinking the culprit must be there to be found.

Dave

Mr JellyV

Good to hear you are having a good time with the heli.
They are infectious things.
Following Daves comments I hazard that the esc is fritzy or you may have a dry solder joint somewhere. A particular harmonic vibration may be tipping the joint over the edge from time to time. Worrying that you state it happens in your aircraft too? Could you possibly have a problem with your TX/ throttle stick.
All seems very odd?

Cheers
Rob B

Hmm... a bit of a dangerous oversight on my part. I went to tinker with my Heli and noticed that the Receiver cut out and servos stopped working. Then realized the small Lipo supplying power to the BEC was dead. Have been recharging the big Main Batteries but forgot the small BEC one. Possibly why the Heli's been hiccuping. Charging it now - will see if it behaves better next Hovering session. In other planes the power for the Rx/Servos is supplied via the throttle lead from the ESC. In this Heli, the power is supplied from the BEC to the Battery socket on the Rx. If that fails, will power fall back to the ESC supply via the throttle socket? I know that the point of the separate BEC is that it supplies more power than the ESC for power hungry servos but it still seems you actually have 2 power sources supplying the Rx/servos.

Thanks Guys, just read your posts. Good chance that the flat BEC battery was the culprit. Will give everything a good looking over in anycase. Nice that this Heli was prebuilt for me but I guess the disadvantage is that you don't have the in depth understanding of all the systems and workings that comes from building it yourself. That's OK, keen to learn and your right Rob, these electronically and mechanically complicated air thrashing machines are addictive!

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,

John, I dont think the BEC power circuit is your problem. I am definitely wanting you to check the high current wiring.

On Saturday, your BEC battery was fine (green status led on the Dualsky BEC) and it was twitching. Note that with that Dualsky unit, it will draw about 10mA from the battery even when the switch is off. Leave like that for too long and the battery goes flat (not good for lipos). The BEC manual recommended disconnecting the BEC battery.

Thanks Dave, I do disconnect the BEC battery lead - just need to charge it after each day's flying.
I'll have have a good look around the motor and ESC wiring and joints and see what I can find.

John Jelovic

A swarm of helis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQIMGV5vtd4&feature=player_embedded

Wow,.. imagine the future..of rc or robotics. Wow.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

One of these would be a neat way to pop up to Liquorland for a six-pack ...

http://www.e-volo.com/Home.html

Steve Murray