Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PRCAC on Phoenix RC

Hi All,
The recent discussion about flight sims got me to thinking and I am conducting an experiment with Phoenix RC. Below is the initial tests I've done to see how it's gonna work. It is going to need a lot more work yet to figure out how it all works and fits together.

I'm using Phoenix RC to try this out. If this works I might try to do the same for some other sims.

Mick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

That looks absolutely awesome.

Good effort, I made a few attempts a while back but dropped them in lieu of getting someone out to do a decent 360 panorama of the field with a proper pano head setup.

(08-03-2011, 06:56 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Good effort, I made a few attempts a while back but dropped them in lieu of getting someone out to do a decent 360 panorama of the field with a proper pano head setup.

I took the pano today on a home made pano rig i built in the shed earlier in the week out of scrap wood. It's not pretty or very precise (the whole rig balances on an old broom stick which acts as one of the pivot pointsBiggrinBiggrin) but it seems to work ok.

The pano is made from 104 pics that i took. I did make the mistake of taking the pics on a day with no clouds in the sky so my stiching program made a real hash of trying to stitch a dozen or more plain blue pictures together so I had to fudge it a bit, so the sky isnt great and has some odd splotches in it and my shadow made some weird artifacts on the ground.

Depending on how sucessful this is, I may even retake the pano on a not so perfect day and see if I can stitch it together any better.

Anyways more to come.
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

That's fantastic mick! I'd take the dodgy impression over no impression.
I'm using FMS and ClearView coz I'm too cheap to pay for Phoenix.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeh - that really is good work!

Steve Murray

Great Job Mick.
I nearly bought Phoenix yesterday but had to hold off
due to me buying a new fan and motor unit for my bandit.
I will probably get it soon though

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

hey mate thats awesome!

if i bought pheonix could i import that and use it?

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

(08-03-2011, 06:44 PM)Skidz Wrote:  That looks absolutely awesome.

+1. Just brilliant.

Are you planning on adding collision boxes for things like the willows and powerlines (seems appropriate given recent incidents Paranoid )

Would love to flight test it when available...

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Quote:if i bought pheonix could i import that and use it?
Yup, thats the idea. Once I had something that was workable, I was gonna post it somewhere so that anyone who wanted could download and use it.

Quote:Are you planning on adding collision boxes for things like the willows and powerlines

Thats the part that I'm trying to work out. I already have the short/long grass areas around the runways but I'm having a problem with trying to work out distance. I can open google maps or google earth and using tools I can see that it is X meters to that tree or y meters to that buildng, but the program has no way of entering those distances. So I'm doing a trial and error thing now where I place a colllision box, then export it to Phoenix, fly it, try to hit the tree/building/powerline and try to guage it by eye, close it all down, back to the editor. adjust the distance and try it all again! It's working but it is very time consuming.

Quote:I'm using FMS and ClearView coz I'm too cheap to pay for Phoenix
I have heard of these but I've never used them. If they can have a photo realistic or pano flying fields I can have a try at doing it for them after I get this one finished.

Also another free RC Sim I have been looking at/playing with is RC Desk Pilot which is still under development but is starting to look really good. Well worth a look.

Quote:
  • That's fantastic mick!
  • Yeh - that really is good work!
  • Great Job Mick.
  • hey mate thats awesome!
  • +1. Just brilliant.
You're all just crawling cause you all want a copy BiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrin but thanks anyway..
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Keiran, does this website have the ability for me to post a file somewhere that can be downloaded or shared by other members of the group or should I look for other ways to get the PRCAC field hosted?

I'm not sure yet how big the file would be.

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

If you can get the files to me, I'll make a page on the main club site dedicated for downloading the files. Size is no issue

(09-03-2011, 09:38 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  If you can get the files to me, I'll make a page on the main club site dedicated for downloading the files. Size is no issue

That would be great. I guess a long term goal would be to great several of these to suit various programs and make them freely available to club members.

Once I have something that I'd be happy to share, I'll see about getting them to you.
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

What camera are you using? I can lend my slr if you wanna have a go with that

So whose plane is lucky enough to feature in Nearmaps?? BiggrinSmileBiggrinThumbup

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Well we may be able to work it out.
There does not appear to be any vehicles on the field
so I reckon they walked in.
If we go up and look in the street near the gate we can see some
cars.
Does anyone recognise any of them?

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

.png professor-farnsworth_sm.png Size: 16.79 KB  Downloads: 837
Good news everyone!!!

PRCAC v0.00 pre-alpha is ready for testing by all brave souls who are willing to download it and try it out.

The link for the file is:
PRCAC.RAR

(Kieran, I'll do it this way as it lets me change the file quickly and easily. Once it is complete, I'll get you to set up a page on the main site to make it available.)

The file is about 35mb in size and is compressed with WinRar. The file needs to be uncompressed in the \My Documents\PhoenixRC\Flying sites\ folder. This should create a folder called PRCAC and everything else should be inside of that. I guess at some stage I'll need to put together a tutorial or something on how to install it.

Known Bugs
Probbably lots, but none actually found yet by me, hence the reason for a pre-alpha release, so that others could find the bugs for me.

Still problems with distance. Everything is having to be judged by eye and so there are a lot of things (collision boxes) that are either too far away or too close. These will need to be adjusted. Any input to these would be appreciated.

ToDo
Still a lot more collision boxes to be place, including:
  • Power Lines
  • Concrete Culvert
  • Various Trees around the site
  • Water Tank near the Grace building
  • Skyline

If you find any not on this list, can you please let me know.

This file is still under development and I hopefully will regulary update it. When I do, I'll post here and let people know.

Good luck and good flying.
Mick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Great work Mick.
I've downloaded and installed in Phoenix as per your instructions.
It was very easy to do and only took a couple of minutes.
I selected our field as my flying site and she loaded up correctly.
Looks fantastic, unfortunately that's as far as I can go without the USB dongle
which I hope arrives next week.
Guys I think Mick deserves all our thanks as I'm sure it is going to help us
practise with our own field.
Kizza we could have a big influx of Gold Wings in our club in the coming months. Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Here here Mick
Very well done mate.
I always thought I was pretty good with computers, but I stand corrected. You D man.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Yes Mick - all the positive comments are well justified!
I've installed it just now and had a quick fly to test it out. The tree distances for the collision boxes look pretty good to me, just judging by the size of the plane I was flying (PZ Trojan) when I intentionally hit them. I flew the plane into a few trees at the back of the field behind the carpark and then into the willows at the western end, then also ito the trees at the eastern end and they all seemed about right - certainly the collision boxes were as realistically placed as the other field environments that come with Phoenix or can be downloaded as unsupported add-ons.

I think you've got the tower collision box about right too - although others have had more experience hitting the real tower, so I'll let them decide Wink

I only did a quick test, so I didn't spot any of the trees that you indicate you've not set up yet. It looks like the lines are the next priority - I'll have a go and see if I can do something useful with them myself perhaps. By the way, are you using the freeware download "Phoenix Creator" to do the editing?

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

Very nicely done.

I like the unforgiving runways. Roll off the edge and "crunch". Better than the Phoenix runways which allow you to miss without consequences.

(11-03-2011, 04:00 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  ... It looks like the lines are the next priority - I'll have a go and see if I can do something useful with them myself perhaps. By the way, are you using the freeware download "Phoenix Creator" to do the editing?

I've just worked it out - unfortunately, I can't help you with any incremental changes and nor can anyone else because the Phoenix Creator will not open the compiled .pxf files Frown It assumes you have a "project" file, which isn't distributed and it opens that under the editor ... it's that which contains all the collision boxes and other objects. When the "export" operation is completed, the binary pxf file, along with the dds files of course are packaged up for use.

So Mick, your good work can't be helped along by any of us unless you want us to have your project file - or at least, that's my understanding of the way it works.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

Thanks for the positive comments everyone, it is really appreciated.

Quote:By the way, are you using the freeware download "Phoenix Creator" to do the editing?

Yup thats exactly what I'm using. Has a bit of a learning curve as the instructions manual isn't terribly helpful but I'm getting there.

Quote:I like the unforgiving runways. Roll off the edge and "crunch". Better than the Phoenix runways which allow you to miss without consequences.

That was actually unintentional. I was setting up areas of "long Grass" and I thought I may have had to lift up the area slightly off the ground to get the long grass effect. Only after I'd put in a number of areas I realised that if you went off the edge of the runway there was problems. Unsure whether to leave them "as is" or to reduce their height to be more inline with the ground level in keeping with the normal Phoenix photo fields. Nothing in the instruction manuals on what to do here so it's only trial and error.

Quote:certainly the collision boxes were as realistically placed as the other field environments that come with Phoenix or can be downloaded as unsupported add-ons.

Thanks, but I'm probbably too much of a perfectionist to be happy with it as it stands. There is still a lot I want to do yet.

Quote:So Mick, your good work can't be helped along by any of us unless you want us to have your project file
Steve, That is exactly correct. I have no problem sharing the .pxf files however there becomes the problem of being able to consolodate all of the changes from various people. I.e. person fixes a tree and person 2 fixes a tower, there is no way of them to save it back to a "master" pxf file. So unfortunatly, whilst I'd be happy to share the file, there would really be no point in doing so. Having said that, I'm happy to share it with anyone who wants it.

I can also make the pano files available to anyone who wants to have a fiddle with it.

Speaking of which, I am trying a different stitching program which allows some manual editing of the pano and seems to be giving me much better results, so it's possible that the next release will have a whole new pano picture with a whole lot less join errors and a much much better looking sky.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

You're right Mick, it would be pandamonium if we were all diving in and making mods left, right and centre (literally!). Something like a CVS server might work, but since you've got a good setup going already it doesn't look like you really need anyone else meddling directly with the files. It probably makes sense for us just to post comments and then you can take them on board if they make a useful contribution.

As for the runway edges - I personally don't mind 'em being unforgiving. It stamps out any laziness or laxity on our part when taxying/landing ... all good!

Great bit of work Mick - it makes a fun simulator all the more meaningful Smile

Steve Murray

Just a Suggestion Mick, please put some tall walls between the pilot area and the mobile tower and the pilot area and the water tank.

Flying out of bounds has consequences thats needs to be reflected. Remember the term: "you play the way you train" Wink

Very cool Mick (and I've a copy now, so it's no longer crawling!)

Works just as ordered. Thumbup

Concur with Steve's thoughts re: one vs multiple authors. (CVS? /shudders)

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Does anyone have a winrar programme on a memory stick or have a link where I can get it from so I can open this hallowed flight site.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(12-03-2011, 07:21 AM)gbanger Wrote:  Does anyone have a winrar programme on a memory stick or have a link where I can get it from so I can open this hallowed flight site.
Gazz

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

To Check What system your running
my computer, right click select properties if no 64 bit shows your running 32 bit

steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

so cool, i wish i had a pheonix setup to get this on, will try at dads next week.

really good mick i really love that you did this. great job man.

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Thanks for your help guys.
I am now flying at PRCAC in my lounge room
Sweeeeeet
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6