Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Santa's Been

Just had to show this off.
It arrived this morning along with Kev's BAE Hawk.
This is what $1000 gets you (including the retracts)

Still have to buy the Stumax 90mm EDF and all electrics so
she is a long off from a maiden flight.
This will be my plane to take to the turbine meets like Temora and
Cudal etc.
I am a happy chap Smile

--Kiz Edit--

Rescaled pic so it loads in this lifetime Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Hi Paul
I know you got your L39 from Extreme RC but they make 2 different 90mm L39's that are almost identical in size, and they both come in the HPAT colour scheme I want.
Jet Teng which sells delivered for $820 or HET which sells for $350 plus delivery
1. Which one did you buy?
2. Why is the Jet Teng over twice the price?
3. Are you going to be running retracts? I not a big fan of air systems and was thinking about the E FLITE ones, have you done any research on electric retracts?
I will be ordering mine this week and was going to buy ther Jet Teng in the HPAT colours
I'm assuming it is just a much better quality model, but would appreciate your comments.
Cherers Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I've got the Jet Teng L39.
Kev also got the Jet Teng Hawk.
Really can't compare the Jet Teng to the HET as the HET only
has very thin fibreglass skin (similar to their Sniper) whereas the Jet
Teng has a solid fibreglass shell.
The level of detail on the Jet Teng is awesome.
I have the Jet Teng Retracts and struts which are air powered.
I'm actually awaiting a new set from Jet Teng as they have found that the original set are too soft
for that weight when using on grass fields.
Did not look into using electric retracts for this model so can't really comment on that.
One thing I was dissapointed with was the level of after sales service of Jet Teng (non existant).
You order through Extreme but model is delivered direct from China to you.
Kev had some paint issues and asked Extreme to try and either find out the colour code or perhaps supply a small amount of touch up paint.
Jet Teng refused to do either. In the end Extreme gave Kev a discount off the price but it left a bad taste in the mouth.
Also The Jet Teng Retracts were another issue when we found out that others had complained about them bending and Jet Teng had re-engineered them we asked to change ours over for a replacement set. We even offered to pay freight both ways.
Again they refused but offered us a new set at a reduced cost. So now we will have 2 sets of
Jet Teng Retracts each.
Also Jet Teng do not deal with us direct we have to go through Extreme with these problems.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

people successfully use eflite electric retracts in the jet teng..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d37uGycQ50

they say that the JTM (jet teng) is more like a scaled down version of a larger turbine spec plane and the HET is a scaled up version of a 70mm edf airframe..hence the reason there has already been many that have fitted turbines in the jtm's. (who knows maybe i will consider doing this down the track..)

im glad i bought my jet teng it is my flagship for now but i would also purchase a HET 90mm in the future and run a wemo speed setup as a second plane. thats just my opinion.one of the major differences in the airframes is the wing.. the jtm's entire airframe is complete built up composite fibreglasss/carbon/ply formers, the HET is a composite fuse and balsa sheeted foam wings(maybe even horizontal tail surface not composite, not sure)
the HET will be much lighter and easier to fly, the jtm are scale and will exhibit stall tendencies if not flown properly.
it depends what you want gaz, good savings to be had on the HET but i wanted alittle more personally for my project this time around. I also couldnt get past the HET quality question mark that is over their brand name when it comes to glass work although ppl have said they have improved with the latest two airframes(f16,l39)

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Thanks for the info and the video guys.
I will stick with the Jet Teng. Paying for quality is something I don't mind.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Hello fellow fully sick EDF owners and any of you other heathen that may have tuned in.
My Jet Teng 90mm HPAT L-39 arrived today about 2 weeks before I expected it. Very impressed. So like a kid at christmas I unpacked it to check it out.
I think it is important to comment on the awsome packaging and how well protected every component was with bubble wrap twice over.
The other point that needs voicing is how magnificent the quality of the finish is on this aircraft. The attention to detail is nothing short of brilliant and the paint work is flawless.... I am very very impressed.
Mr Jet Teng take a bow.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Gary, That looks like a real nice jet and detail looks good with the checker pattern.
I have to get pushing with my Viper.

Heh lots of laughs using the bed, reminds of the recent video i watched
below.

Precision Aerobatics Addiction - Got An Addiction? from Precision Aerobatics on Vimeo.

Yes its an Addiction Flying an Addiction i tell you

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Looks the goods Gazz. What are you putting inside?

Welcome to the Jet Teng Club Gaz.
Any news when the Stumax Fan/Motor is due?

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Dave.
I will be running a Stumax 90mm EDF (same as Paul)
Will be burning the oil at 8S around 10000mAh Nanos at 45-90C, suggested flight time should be between 6 and 8 minutes depending on throttle use.
Paul
I emailed Mark on thursday last week for an update on both the Jet and the fan, which is why I was so surprised today when it arrived. Mark told me to expect it late next week. The fan should be here end of next week, so I guess I better get stuck into some building.
I will be running a 120amp Platinium pro ESC. What BEC are you planning on using to look after the control systems.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

nice gaz, looking forward to you getting her done so you can be the guinea pig for dad and I Smile

hey i think you mean 5000mah, its 2 x 4s 5000mah running in series to create 8s 5000mah not 2 x 5000mah running parallel to make 10000mah, although if your keen and you can find 8s batts go ahead and run the 2 x 8s 5000mah in parallel and let me see how she likes the wing loading so i can consider 10s 5000mah Smile the airframe has been run at that weight with (p20/wren44) turbine but it burns off weight of fuel during flight and lands alot lighter than take off , not sure how landing 10000mah will go.. :P

again awesome plane great choice it will be great to see 3 jtm's getting around Smile

at this stage dad and i have the castle 120hv's planned for esc duties.

here is my stablemate of yours gaz Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Hi Kev/Paul
I bought the Hobbywing HV- 120 Platinum Pro ESC for mine and the fully sick programming card(if anyone buys a HW ESC you are welcome to borrow my Programming card, dont shell out for one yourself they cost a bomb). It has a back up auto on BEC for emergencies. (Hope I never need it)
So I have to run a stand alone BEC for aircraft control systems, are you running a similar setup and if so what BEC are you thinking about?
What servos are you both planning on using?
How much do your retracts weigh. Im looking at the Eflite 60-120 servoless unit they are $229 but I think they are a better an probably a more reliable option than the pneumatics (as always interested in your thoughts)
Thanks Gazz
PS: If you choose not to answer all of these questions a radio control elephant with serious bowel issues will fly over your house and dump fenominal amounts of crap all over you cars windscreen.
Now I have finished being an idiot I hope you can help we with an informative reply.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Hi Gaz thanks for the offer of the programming card.
I haven't got around to thinking too much on using a Bec yet but I'm
sure I will have one.
For servos all I've worked out so far is that I(kev and I) need 5 of the
Hitec HS5125MG servos to go in our wings. These are low profile digital
servos suitable for thin wings. We need 4 in the wings (ailerons & flaps) and 1
in the tail for the rudder.
Haven't looked at what I need for retracts,elevators or steering yet.
Our retracts have a shipping weight of 500gms but I'm sure their actual weight is lower.
This does not include the oleos or wheels

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

hey gaz yeah servos as dad said still a few to decide on.
as far as esc's go still looking at a few but at this stage had eyed off the castle 120hv for the job.
retracts are the version 2 jtm pneumatic which we got a bargain on and the jtm oleos to suit. not to worried about the pneumatic retracts as its something i always wanted to have a go at anyway.
i wont be buying the rest of my shopping list on her till september (birthday :p)
im just finishing off a little hawk atm so that will have to do me until then.. money is just too tight for me to do everything right now.. you havent got a spare hsv commodore i can sell to fund the rest of my build have you.. ?

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

I have read numerous reports of recent Castle HVs (last 6 months) burning for no reason. Very popular with heli fliers all over. I was going for the 120HV for the Logo 600 but went Kontronic due to numerous cautions not to go CC. Do some research yourself on your usual forums.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=319021
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=314872

Edit:
Castle put this up on another forum.

"Quote"
HV 120 modification offer
Hello all,

While we take all controller failures seriously, many have felt that our response to the HV120 problem was taking too long. We didn't make any official statements as we couldn't identify any particular pattern or cause for the failures. Our Repair Dept. keeps track of our returns and the returns - for any reason -- on the 120HV were actually very low, less than 3%. Given that we've produced more than 10,000 of these, that number is low. But for those unfortunate owners of one of the 3% that failure rate is still way too high.

We were able to test -- and destroy -- a number of HV 120s last week with the help of a very talented heli pilot. Through this process we determined that some, again some, setups stressed a particular component in a way that caused controllers to fail instantly. Adding capacitance to the setup did show promise as a solution but it is a rather cumbersome solution.

Unrelated to this particular problem, Castle has been working with a major component vendor to build these particular components to our specifications. We have just received a small quantity of sample parts for evaluation.

We gave the new components a shot in the HV 120s and found that they were a very tidy and seemingly complete solution to the matters plaguing that design.

We therefore are going to offer all who wish to return their HV120 for one that has this modification an opportunity to do so.

As mentioned above, the new component is just now coming into production and we don't have them in stock. We hope to have them as early as this week (July 18-22).

We will post particulars as to how to go about returning these and what the turn around time may be once we get those parts. Our Tech Support and Warranty people don't have any additional information, so calling them at this point will only lead to more frustration.

We apologize for any problems this matter may have caused, and we hope that our candor and willingness to repair these controllers will help maintain your trust in our products and service.

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to putting this behind us all and going flying again.

Thanks,

Lee Estingoy
for Castle Creations, Inc.
"Quote"

No mate sorry, most of the excess from the sale of the clubby is gone......on goodies and clearing debts.
Waiting on my tax refund now to finish off the Flash T Carbon as well as the final bits for my L 39.
Spun up the Stumax on Satuday night and the bloody thing nearly dragged me accross the room.... and that was only 6S....... lookout!
Just need the servos and the retracts now but have been having a lot of trouble getting decent info on minimum servos specifications. On top of that I need to replace a shit load of dying batteries that are passing their use by date for the rest of the fleet, and thats a lot of $$$
But Im not complaining .......Im loving it!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6