Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is it Me, My Plane or my Camera????

Hi All,
I'm looking for some opinions on what might be going on here. My "You Beaut Dinky Di Super Cheapo Car Keys" video camera has been making some odd wavey patterns and I've been trying to work out the problem.

Initially there were suggestions that the camera may be having problems tracking the fast moving frame rates or maybe it was faulty but after some experiments I'm beginning to think that the problem may be with my trojan....

Firstly, I noticed in the following video that the image was rock steady up until I started the prop when it started to get wavey:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Wn1Nd32A8[/youtube]

Also, Steve was kind enough to let me stick the camera on the nose of this Thunder Tiger for a really brief curcuit. As you can see the video seems to be pretty rock solid.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGOC41jemzU[/youtube]

So i'm starting to think that the problem may be with my plane, maybe an electrical interfearence from the Trojans electronics or something, then I see the video that I took from my flight today:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhNswZ8JLPM[/youtube]

The camera was mounted on the wing, facing rearward and this time there is no waveyness until all during the initial prop spin up. It only seemed to start when I opened it up for take off. I would have thought that if it was electrical, it would have happened when the motor was spinning.

I'm thinking that it is something about the plane that the camera doesn't like but I'll be buggered if I know what that might be. If I can work out what it might be then I can have a chance at fixing it hopefully so i'm looking for any ideas as to what I can try.

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Looks like a resonant frequency from the vibrations, prop wash & wind? Have you tried putting some tape over the microphone?
Its not you, Its a combination of plane and camera but not really either at fault. The camera's will do this in the presence of strong vibration & sometimes electromagnetic interference. You see it alot on oboard RC Heli footage because of the vibrations at play there. I'm trying to remember if my camera did the same but I attached mine to the underside of the plane on the plastic main gear area. Try yours there, you will get visual artifacts from the prop but that's different to the wavy lines.

Also, flare before landing Wink

Hi Mick can't help you with your camera problem but can you
please try a stop frame view of your video titled flight 1 at around the 1:45 mark.
I can see something white in the reeds as you are making a turn over the creek and just
wondering if it's Colin's long lost plane.
May be nothing but worth a look.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Hey Paul,
Quote:Hi Mick can't help you with your camera problem but can you
please try a stop frame view of your video titled flight 1 at around the 1:45 mark.
I can see something white in the reeds as you are making a turn over the creek and just
wondering if it's Colin's long lost plane.
May be nothing but worth a look

Is this the frame you mean?

Not sure what that could be but I can try work out approx where it might be.

Mick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Hi Mick just a bit before that, looking underneath the plane tail below the numeral 8 theres a white spec that appears to be a plane.
Good spotting Paul Smile
Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Thanks Mick that was the frame I was thinking of but it
doesn't look like it's a plane.
If you can look at the frame that Steve has mentioned we may yet find it.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Hey,

Thanks for the searching, team! I think Steve has given me new hope that after all, I may find the lost plane. I think the spot just below the numeral 8 as Steve mentioned is the spot I lost it. And the object looks like a plane. I reckon this is at least 70% chance of actually being my plane.

Mick, if you can get a more detailed frame or close up, that would be very helpful.

Wow, I am excited now.

Thanks,
Colin

ha ! Fantastic detective work gang , it would be great if you did recover it!

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Quote:just a bit before that, looking underneath the plane tail below the numeral 8 theres a white spec that appears to be a plane.

Are this the frames you mean? I grabbed a series of 4 from just before the last one. It does look like it could be a plane!

Not sure if there is enough info to pinpoint the position any more though

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Mick,

Yes, exactly. This is what I think is my plane.

After analysing your flight path, I think this is the location of the plane from another view. Do you agree?

[Image: 2381215650106046267VlVTyL_th.jpg]

Colin

another picture

Thanks Mick for the frames, I reckon that is a plane for sure.
I think your in the spot there Colin.
Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Yep I too think it's a plane.
Good work Steve, you must have eyes like an eagle
to have spotted that in the video. Biggrin
Colin, bring down your gum boots next time you come as you have
a bit of wading to do to get to it. Wink
Actually it might be good if you have a fishing rod with you
just in case you need to reach in for it.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Quote:After analysing your flight path, I think this is the location of the plane from another view. Do you agree?

I think that area would be real close. I've scanned through my other footage to try and find another angle of the same area. It appears to me that there are 2 bushes (trees/weeds/clumps????) that appear to have red or orange flowers/leaves on them. Straight between them and head in a straight line should put you in the general area.

I've put 2 pics up trying to show where I think it may be.

As near as I can tell the arrow marks the spot

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Here is some extra pics showing location of Wheres Wally

Steve Smile

Good ones Steve. Wonder what sort of condition it will be in after all this time.
Looks like it will be a bit tricky getting into the location.
This is certainly a great time for someone who has a chopper with FPV equipment
to come forward and offer us a service. Smile

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

do you think the actual ground is firm there or do you think its river under there???

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Here are some Pics Taken after your Searching Colin in The Weeds

Steve Smile

So I take it that the aircraft is still missing?
Do we know what the objects were?
The first large white object looked to me like a piece
of a foam esky.
The other item certainly looked like a plane.
It's got to be in there somewhere.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Paul,

I only picked up a piece of rubbish foam (the long object) and a plastic cup (to the top left hand of the foam) from that location.

In hind sight, I thought that object from the picture was too small to be my plane. This is heartbreaking.

Colin

Just to re-open a really old thread, I think I've found the reason why the camera is wavy, finding a solution may be a little harder but it might be worth while noting the reason in case someone else ever comes across the same problem.

Whilst researching a completly different topic (FPV) I come across the following information where they were comparing CCD and CMOS imaging cameras.

Quote:Most CMOS will adjust to brightness and contrast for each pixel giving a better picture then CCD, along with using slightly less power. The CMOS camera draw back is it scans each image line by line which can cause waves or ripples in the video if there are vibrations from the aircraft.

My guess is that the camera is picking up vibrations from the plane and it's using a CMOS imaging cell.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

(01-12-2010, 10:35 AM)Kedumba Wrote:  Just to re-open a really old thread, I think I've found the reason why the camera is wavy, finding a solution may be a little harder but it might be worth while noting the reason in case someone else ever comes across the same problem.

Whilst researching a completly different topic (FPV) I come across the following information where they were comparing CCD and CMOS imaging cameras.

Quote:Most CMOS will adjust to brightness and contrast for each pixel giving a better picture then CCD, along with using slightly less power. The CMOS camera draw back is it scans each image line by line which can cause waves or ripples in the video if there are vibrations from the aircraft.

My guess is that the camera is picking up vibrations from the plane and it's using a CMOS imaging cell.

I had the same thing with my keychain camera when I had it on my depron Extra. I found that if I got rid of the motor vibrations It pretty much went away. First I balanced the prop that helped a bit, and then I noticed that the motor shaft was slightly bent so I replaced that and put in a new set of bearings. Bingo no more wavy video.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci