Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Maiden Flight Reports

Nice job Gazz. Congrats!

Any chance we might see the beast at McCoy next weekend?

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Great Stuff gazz.

I got a Chance to give my Rare bear a stack of Flights too today and its a ripper.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Gazz, the videos are awesome. I reckon you could sit back and watch on a big flat screen TV (which me thinks you might actually do).

There is about 3.5 min of video and over 500MB on my phone. Cool! Downloading to the Mac now. Best to tidy up on iMovie and burn a CD for you. I will leave the YouTube thing to you or maybe I might export a lower res copy and open an account and see how this YouTube thingo works.

Congrats Gaz.
Sebart comes through again....
Nice report I can just see a big smile on your face when you landed.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Very, very good chance you will see it at McCoy next weekend Claudio, you could land this thing on a postage stamp.
The only other thing I can say (and Darren and Kev will agree) is, if you ever do anything during your years of RC flying, get behind the sticks with a big well trimmed Seb Art on the other end, you owe yourself the chance to see why I always have such a big stupid grin from ear to ear.

Gazz

PS: How good is this hobby?

(That was a retorical question...... dumbarse!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Nice one Gazz!! look forward to seeing it next weekend !!!
fingers crossed, that the weather is permitting

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Flying the big Seb at McCoy will depend on how well the field dries this week.
As you said.......Fingers crossed!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

My congrats Gaz for the maiden flight on Sunday, truly looked magnificent. People unaware that it was a maiden flight would have thought you had dozens of hours of practice on it. A true credit to your flying & assembly skills & the quality of the plane.. Deserving of many cheers.
PS. Many thanks for your attempts to get a nasty little HK Corsair into an almost flyable condition, I would have had no hope this side of hell. A plane that after 5 flights is still behaving like a first maiden on an overly twitchy plane. Another testament to your flying skills.

well , the stinger 64 had its maiden fly today . thanks to JASON for a few successful flies and STEVE for successfull hand launching . i was hooked up to the buddy system ( thank god for that ) i definitely would've shortened the fuselage quite a bit a couple of times .
found it to be an different to any plane i've flown , its a climber on full throttle , a self leveler, which needs ailerons held on into a turn and dosile in response meaning you have to bank hard for a turn otherwise your up another 150 feet . also it wants to stay up in the air you actually have to give it down elevon to drive it down , and 1/2 throttle pretty much useless .
i'll have to muck around with the setup ( some of the consensus from the other guys around were , it will have to be flown on full song / or given a 4s makeover ) .
the 1st thing i'm going to do is change the throttle so its at 100% at 3/4 stick , and maybe give it a retrim a few clicks down on elevon .
any other suggestions . . i perhaps may get more air inside for cooling , and perhaps a better receiver . but the reciever seemed ok lng distance in the air , but the range check at 30 metres was about it . 40metres it lost signal . 5 min 30 seconds it went low on battery and a hot landing was acheived by jason thats on 3s 1800mah 30c . so safe for 4 minutes on full song , and then a couple of landing approaches . didnt get any vid . not too happy with it yet , but saying that it aint too bad , it does need some adjustments of sort that i'm not sure about yet , like exponential settings and things , very hard to set these things up to your liking whilst your in training and not sure about your style, but i'mn going off the planes i had in the past my supersportstar 40 was my favourite , i never mastered my jaguar , but that i loved as well , and my extra 300 . the
stinger has drag i guess and real turbine likeness , slow ramp up , i hope its around long enough to master it . i laugh at the hobby king videos now .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

update on the stinger 64 . . i have added another 30 grams of weight at the front and trimmed a few clicks down also reduced exponentials all round to 10% from 40% . and increased throttle to 125% , which simply means its at full throttle at about 3/4 stick . i expect it might be a little nose heavy now , however , on its point of balance if you push the tail down 20 degrees it wont come back and drop the nose , so it might fix what i wasn't happy with .
the 25/27 4200kv motor , wont take a 4s setup apparently . want to get this thing a little more comfortable i the air so i can fly it low , altitude was abig problem yesterday . people seemed to think that the CG was close on the money .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

(15-03-2012, 04:45 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  update on the stinger 64 . . i have added another 30 grams of weight at the front and trimmed a few clicks down also reduced exponentials all round to 10% from 40% . and increased throttle to 125% , which simply means its at full throttle at about 3/4 stick . i expect it might be a little nose heavy now , however , on its point of balance if you push the tail down 20 degrees it wont come back and drop the nose , so it might fix what i wasn't happy with .
the 25/27 4200kv motor , wont take a 4s setup apparently . want to get this thing a little more comfortable i the air so i can fly it low , altitude was abig problem yesterday . people seemed to think that the CG was close on the money .

Just Fly it Stock Frank till you feel Comfortable with It then mod the Motor and speedy to 4s when your Ready.
As It Flies quite well Stock.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(15-03-2012, 05:26 PM)samste Wrote:  
(15-03-2012, 04:45 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  update on the stinger 64 . . i have added another 30 grams of weight at the front and trimmed a few clicks down also reduced exponentials all round to 10% from 40% . and increased throttle to 125% , which simply means its at full throttle at about 3/4 stick . i expect it might be a little nose heavy now , however , on its point of balance if you push the tail down 20 degrees it wont come back and drop the nose , so it might fix what i wasn't happy with .

Just Fly it Stock Frank till you feel Comfortable with It then mod the Motor and speedy to 4s when your Ready.
As It Flies quite well Stock.

Steve

absolutely steve , no plans for 4s for me . its plenty fast , i just want set it up so i can get comfortable and learn how to get the hang of it . hopefully i can set it up a little better . jason said he thought it was quite a hard plane to fly . ill muck around with setup a little more , you should fly it next time i run in to you , and see what you think ..

The thing's I noticed about the stinger were:
firstly Because of her short and swept back wings, I think it's a little difficult to judge her bank angle in the air, especially not being used to her and when she gets further away. McCoy field is a different place to fly in the late afternoon with the sun in the west, brightly beeming over the top of the willows. With a decent breeze from the east, that corner of the sky becomes a lot less flyable and it's also where you want to approach from, when landing.

To me the stinger seems to be a plane thats happier flying fairly wide and open, with nice gentle turns that don't wash off much speed. She doesn't react super positivly in pitch and if you give her heaps of elevator she seems to, kind of, mush rather than tightly turn the corner. Doing a split S required quite a bit more height than I'm used too.

Being powered by a ducted fan, she is not greatly responsive to throttle inputs, which meant I had to stay ahead of her, as far as maintaining air speed was concerened. When things slow up she becomes a lot less manouverable especially in pitch. She realy needs pace to do anything and anything that's done too tightly washes off a lot of pace!

This has to be seen in the context of not wanting to fly a model, that likes to be flown wide, too far away, because of the orange indoor reciever that was in her. (must change that as a matter of priority)

I felt that, to keep her close in and not loose too much pace I was flying her full throttle almost all of the time. If I banked her over on edge and gave her a heap of elevator she would'nt hold height for very long, she would slow up and begin to loose altitude. So I'd have to lessen her bank angle and the turn would become wider. I would have found her easier to fly with more power. I suggest that implanting her with something like StevenB's fan unit would change things! After that she would be a different bird all together!!

I hope I don't sound critical of this model, I'm not trying to be. This is my experiance of flying her and most reading, will know well my opinions are marred by my preference for models with a wider envelope. She is not a 3D model and nor was she designed to be, she is what she is, flown with that in mind she's actually quite a nice bird. She doesn't do anything nasty and we did give her the oppertunity to show us her mean side. Once She's set up right I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment from flying her!! ......................... I just whish we had got some video.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

hey guys , this is the orange RX 410 RECEIVER IN THE STINGER 64 .
IT SAYS ITS A PARK FLYER ONE , .
can anyone confirm . there are a few comments on them about range check to about 30-35 metres on the ground is about as far as it will read , but will fly as far as you can see in the air .

is this still a must to REPLACE IN THE STINGER ???

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...iver_.html

In a high speed EDF, I wouldn't use anything less than a Spectrum AR500, would be a real shame to stand watching your pride and joy heading for the horizon, oblivious to your requests as you pull your sticks around in what could only be described as a state of panic!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

G'day Frank

I am 110% with Gazz on this one.
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the orange receivers however I don't think their range is is good as the genuine article.
I use a general principle to dictate what I use in my aircraft that relates to how dangerous is the aircraft going to be if the link drops out.
If the aircraft is big and heavy it's gonna hurt if it plummets out of the sky, high speed Edf's are also going to be a menace in that situation.
If your aircraft is big, fast, or amp hungry go the full range genuine article to keep your aircraft and also other members at the field as safe as possible.

Having satellite receivers is also highly recommended to maximise safety, also keep the receivers well away from the esc/ motor to prevent rf contamination. The positioning of the receiver is probably the most critical 1st consideration to keep it all safe.
Cheers
Rob B

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...eiver_.htm

I Thinks its definately a Park Flier not Full Range, from the reviews it appears to be ok.
Ideally i get the rx unit and antenna in a position that it is clear from electrical/ magnetic interferences.

I personally prefer full range rx units for 99% worry free flights, but in saying that i have several of the older style hobbyking original 6ch twin antenna version of this, and have been using it in my tuff trainer and has been glitch free. As well i used to use it in miniswift.
But i have never pushed the limits of these Rx's as i do the Full Range Rxs in all my other planes.

Possibly this with the satellite rx added would be better option and cheap still.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=11965
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...eiver.html

Thanks for the advice I'll order a. Couple of orange 610's + sattilite ext receivers for safety reasons . I was looking at these online last night they're in the Australia. Warehouse also

Go the 7ch ones instead, they're a new & better design and full range out of the box

I've just bought 2 x Orange 9 Ch Full Range Rx's, 2 x Orange 7 Ch Full Range rx's and
4 Sattilite rx's to go with them.
Will I use them on my expensive models? Don't know !
I would have to test them out myself on some smaller models first to see
what the performance is like.
That being said, correct me if I'n wrong Keiran but I think they are fully aproved
by MAS and have been tested and passed as a Full Range rx.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

(17-03-2012, 01:49 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Go the 7ch ones instead, they're a new & better design and full range out of the box

ok . does that mean a 7 channel one doesn't require the satelite receiver ?
where as the 6 one isnt' full range ?
(17-03-2012, 02:45 PM)paulj Wrote:  I've just bought 2 x Orange 9 Ch Full Range Rx's, 2 x Orange 7 Ch Full Range rx's and
4 Sattilite rx's to go with them.
Will I use them on my expensive models? Don't know !
I would have to test them out myself on some smaller models first to see
what the performance is like.
That being said, correct me if I'n wrong Keiran but I think they are fully aproved
by MAS and have been tested and passed as a Full Range rx.

hi paul . where did you buy them from ? i am finding i'm spending a bit , and waiting a lot; often ! just noticed they arent in the australian warehouse .

From Hobby King-Hong Kong.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

WELCOME TO WATER WORLD,
Yes folks, I have shoved one up the peverbial weather gods arses by purchasing a magic HK seaplane.

Took the Icon A5 up this arvo after work at Putney on the Parramatta river.
Conditions were almost perfect clear sky, wind almost zero the river was a mill pond.
I set the aircraft up as per the instructions and had the C of G 70mm back from the leading edge.
I had never flow (taken off) a sea plane before, but understand the mathematics of the exercise.
Plonked the aircraft into the creek and applied a tiny bit of throttle as the aircraft moved away it droped its right wing tip due to the torque (the water exagerates it).
A little left aileron was required to level the wings, as soon as it hit about 30 to 40 kmph the amphibious hull took over and it tracked like it was on rails until it lifted in to the heavens and climbed rapidly at ony 60% throttle.
It needed only a little trim left and click or 5 down as the balance appeared to be a little tail heavy.
I did 7 or 8 circuits to get a feel for the airframe balance, it was pretty easy to fly especially considering that it was to tail heavy.
I lined up with myself from about 300 meters out and droped the throttle to about 20%, the little sucker is a floater and I had to completely kill the throttle to loss altitude, I picked up the throttle about 100 meters out to help control drag as the aircraft settled onto the wet stuff, it landed with no pitch chance at all, the cleverly designed aircraft made me look like a pro.
Flight status "kenorn"

I changed batteries and took it up again but moved the battery forward 20mm.
The second flight was alot more fun than the first, the C of G change manifested itself as a very happy predictable fun flier. Take off was a breeze, I didnt try any aerobatic manouvers as I was still getting comtorable with the simple but snappy flight characteristics.
Tha landing again was just simply no effort although I certainly had the heart beat up there.
I stayed in the air for 5 minutes on the first flight and the battery was over 4.1 v per cell.
The 2nd flight was a little over 9 minutes and the battery still read 3.9 v per cell.
This thing would be a great FPV aircraft and is such a fun plane to fly.
Dont get me wrong its not easy to fly I said its fun to fly....... You still need to keep your wits about you, it has a sensative balance and I tends to snap at you every now and then to make sure you are paying attention
The supplied 400 kv motor running on 6S 3000 20C batteries was not hot at all, although I am thinking about changing the supplied 12 x 6 prop to a 11 x 7. It had no problem with reving at all in fact I dont think I actually got near full throttle. I just thought I was screaming a little to much for a 6S motor.
I will be taking it to work with me almost every day in the furure with 2 charged batteries ready to have some fun.
Im very impressed.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Congratulations mate - very interesting. Did you have to give it any up elevator in the early part of the take-off when it was slow in the water to stop the nose from pearling? With the thrust-line being well above the fuselage, I've read that the nose can sometimes begin to dip into the water.

Steve Murray

(27-03-2012, 10:33 PM)gbanger Wrote:  WELCOME TO WATER WORLD,
Yes folks, I have shoved one up the peverbial weather gods arses by purchasing a magic HK seaplane.

Took the Icon A5 up this arvo after work at Putney on the Parramatta river.
Conditions were almost perfect clear sky, wind almost zero the river was a mill pond.
I set the aircraft up as per the instructions and had the C of G 70mm back from the leading edge.
I had never flow (taken off) a sea plane before, but understand the mathematics of the exercise.
Plonked the aircraft into the creek and applied a tiny bit of throttle as the aircraft moved away it droped its right wing tip due to the torque (the water exagerates it).
A little left aileron was required to level the wings, as soon as it hit about 30 to 40 kmph the amphibious hull took over and it tracked like it was on rails until it lifted in to the heavens and climbed rapidly at ony 60% throttle.
It needed only a little trim left and click or 5 down as the balance appeared to be a little tail heavy.
I did 7 or 8 circuits to get a feel for the airframe balance, it was pretty easy to fly especially considering that it was to tail heavy.
I lined up with myself from about 300 meters out and droped the throttle to about 20%, the little sucker is a floater and I had to completely kill the throttle to loss altitude, I picked up the throttle about 100 meters out to help control drag as the aircraft settled onto the wet stuff, it landed with no pitch chance at all, the cleverly designed aircraft made me look like a pro.
Flight status "kenorn"

I changed batteries and took it up again but moved the battery forward 20mm.
The second flight was alot more fun than the first, the C of G change manifested itself as a very happy predictable fun flier. Take off was a breeze, I didnt try any aerobatic manouvers as I was still getting comtorable with the simple but snappy flight characteristics.
Tha landing again was just simply no effort although I certainly had the heart beat up there.
I stayed in the air for 5 minutes on the first flight and the battery was over 4.1 v per cell.
The 2nd flight was a little over 9 minutes and the battery still read 3.9 v per cell.
This thing would be a great FPV aircraft and is such a fun plane to fly.
Dont get me wrong its not easy to fly I said its fun to fly....... You still need to keep your wits about you, it has a sensative balance and I tends to snap at you every now and then to make sure you are paying attention
The supplied 400 kv motor running on 6S 3000 20C batteries was not hot at all, although I am thinking about changing the supplied 12 x 6 prop to a 11 x 7. It had no problem with reving at all in fact I dont think I actually got near full throttle. I just thought I was screaming a little to much for a 6S motor.
I will be taking it to work with me almost every day in the furure with 2 charged batteries ready to have some fun.
Im very impressed.
Gazz

Nice One Gazz,
Its a very Nice Looking Plane
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=16526

Excellent Gazz well done !!

Sounds like a lot of fun !!

It's nice to have an airfield at work Smile

Plane: PARKZONE F27-Q STRYKER!

Last Saturday, Dad and I were at Ultimate Hobbies at Parramatta, and I saw this sitting on the shelf and after 2 minutes of contemplating whether it was worth it, I decided it was and bought it! Smile

Had to wait until Easter Monday to maiden it and here's the report:

- Strip was muddy from recent rain.
- Hardly any wind anywhere.
- Nice, blue sky.

We came down to the field at around 3pm-3:30pm I think it was. Only Ron was there and Gary turned up 1 minute after we did. We double-checked the directions of the throws and the throws themselves, and then checked again. All was good, so we walked down to the boggy strip and Dad hand-launched it into the breeze. Just like the F4F Wildcat Dad wrote about, went straight out of his hand. Climbed easily and straight away from the superb hand-launch. Only needed a few clicks of aileron trimming and I was rolling and climbing vertially and doing high-speed low passes in about the 3rd circuit! Smile Ecstatic I was! Could not be happier with it and won't change anything for a long time if I can help it! Giving it a custom paint job as we speak and hopefully, if this darned rain holds off be down at the field with it this weekend! Hope to see you all there!

Cheers! Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Super-Chipmunk
Pitts Special
Parkzone Habu

(12-04-2012, 04:16 PM)omuzz95 Wrote:  Plane: PARKZONE F27-Q STRYKER!

Last Saturday, Dad and I were at Ultimate Hobbies at Parramatta, and I saw this sitting on the shelf and after 2 minutes of contemplating whether it was worth it, I decided it was and bought it! Smile

Had to wait until Easter Monday to maiden it and here's the report:

- Strip was muddy from recent rain.
- Hardly any wind anywhere.
- Nice, blue sky.

We came down to the field at around 3pm-3:30pm I think it was. Only Ron was there and Gary turned up 1 minute after we did. We double-checked the directions of the throws and the throws themselves, and then checked again. All was good, so we walked down to the boggy strip and Dad hand-launched it into the breeze. Just like the F4F Wildcat Dad wrote about, went straight out of his hand. Climbed easily and straight away from the superb hand-launch. Only needed a few clicks of aileron trimming and I was rolling and climbing vertially and doing high-speed low passes in about the 3rd circuit! Smile Ecstatic I was! Could not be happier with it and won't change anything for a long time if I can help it! Giving it a custom paint job as we speak and hopefully, if this darned rain holds off be down at the field with it this weekend! Hope to see you all there!

Cheers! Smile

I am Glad to hear that you have turn to the Dark side with Kieran and I.
We will have to carry Out a Secret initiation ceremony on the Weekend so you can be a fully Pledge Member.
Some of the Process Involves High Speed low Passes, Boomerangs, hovers, vertical Drops and Kierans Landing Special. Wink

Steve Smile

Nice one !!

OHHHHHHH NO !!! another stryker member !!!!! nice one .