Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is indoor flying not happening?

Hi guys, is the indoor flying at Kellyville happening or no more?
Thanks

Last one was just before the first lock down and was very well attended. Since then with dementia Graham Ferguson's health deteriorated and he passed away just over a year ago.

srl

Sad to hear about Graham passing away.

There are major developments in indoor flying and the availability of aircraft kits of a standard that could allow one to compete in F3P indoor aerobatics competitions.

I have discussed this in a post
" Ultimate 3D aerobatics trainer" under "General" threads.

I find indoor F3P planes are excellent to fly outdoors in a local park if you get there early before the wind arises.

Thats all good, we need to find a place to fly indoors again.

I’m still working to build the perfect Index3. Below is my latest contra motor and 3Dprinted prop moulds. Just made some improvements that have made the build process easier.
The mould clamps now have spacers which leaves the props with very little balancing needed.
Printing the shaft mount with support gives the gears with just the right clearances. Gear reduction really works using only 2/3s the power of a direct drive 2203 motor. 100G vertical thrust only uses about 2Amps instead of 3 on 2s.

srl

re indoor flying.
I was talking to AussieAeroWorks yesterday (I think his name is John), and he raised the issue of indoor flying which is booming in Australia, but not in NSW. In all states (except NSW) there are active indoor RCers. They rent basketball or netball stadiums, and around 10 people in a session each pay around $10 to participate. Many indoor clubs meet once per month. John says where there is a 2 court stadium, the flying is amazing, but ordinary one-court facilities also work fine. There is a good array of indoor kits on AussieAeroWorks (located in SA), including advanced designs such as the Clik:

https://www.aussieaeroworks.com.au/store...c137216507

Alternately you can do a DIY plan as srl describes in this thread.

All that is needed for NSW is someone to organize a group, find a suitable stadium, and rent a slot.

I am not putting my hand up, as I prefer outdoor flying which in Australia (unlike Europe or parts of the US) is available all year round. However if someone organized it, I would be interested to participate in the occasional indoor session.