Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Uni rx firmware

This firmware makes old frsky accst rxs the apparent equal of many expensive newer rxs. I have followed this topic on the Aloft website
https://forum.alofthobbies.com/index.php...-d16.3270/

If you follow the various links from the above link there is the full story of uni available.

I plan to give it a go with a Frsky RX6R rx, which has not been used for a few years. This rx has 2 antennas.  I may have flashed it with ACCESS at some time but it was originally ACCST.
From the Aloft link, I downloaded the recommended uni firmware for this rx:  RX4R_75sm.frk  
(the file name is not a typo, I checked).

I will load this file on my old Qx7 ACCST tx, by taking out its SD card and placing it in my mac, and copying RX4R_75sm.frk to the firmware folder. Then I can attach the RX6R rx to the Qx7 with a cable to its smartport (let me know if anyone wants details on this step) and flash it.

My RM T12 tx has a multi internal module that includes Frsky, (the elrs is the external module) so I will select frsky and then try to bind the rx.

Comments on this plan are welcome. I am unsure if the edgetx software (v 2.8) on the T12 will require  a script. Does anyone know?

(08-04-2023, 01:36 PM)greggold Wrote:  This firmware makes old frsky accst rxs the apparent equal of many expensive newer rxs. I have followed this topic on the Aloft website

If you follow the various links from the above link there is the full story of uni available.

I plan to give it a go with a Frsky RX6R rx, which has not been used for a few years. This rx has 2 antennas.  I may have flashed it with ACCESS at some time but it was originally ACCST.
From the Aloft link, I downloaded the recommended uni firmware for this rx:  RX4R_75sm.frk  
(the file name is not a typo, I checked).

I will load this file on my old Qx7 ACCST tx, by taking out its SD card and placing it in my mac, and copying RX4R_75sm.frk to the firmware folder. Then I can attach the RX6R rx to the Qx7 with a cable to its smartport (let me know if anyone wants details on this step) and flash it.

My RM T12 tx has a multi internal module that includes Frsky, (the elrs is the external module) so I will select frsky and then try to bind the rx.

Comments on this plan are welcome. I am unsure if the edgetx software (v 2.8) on the T12 will require  a script. Does anyone know?

I just tried to flash my RX6R rx with the recommended uni firmware RX4R_75sm.frk, following the above steps, but the rx will not flash. When I press "flash smartport" the rx gives a red light, then a green light, then a beep, and I get the message "FW update error. Device data refused." I repeated this with another RX6R rx that I know runs ACCST, but this rx gave the same result and message. Perhaps I am missing something...

Hi Greg

Try a FRsky firmware ?

Yes you have to load the scripts to activate the RX . Ethos and Open/Edge are provided. You then send Aloft a code and they will send one back for you to enter.
I made many mistakes but finally had success. Just had 3 flights with a lot of time in the danger zone and no problems at all with my X6R.
Flashing is made using the S-Port. Using the script for the codes is done over the air once the RX is bound.
So for Emailing Aloft we will have to wait till Tuesday.

srl

(08-04-2023, 02:55 PM)srl Wrote:  Hi Greg

Try a FRsky firmware ?

Yes you have to load the scripts to activate the RX . Ethos and Open/Edge are provided. You then send Aloft a code and they will send one back for you to enter.
I made many mistakes but finally had success. Just had 3 flights with a lot of time in the danger zone and no problems at all with my X6R.
Flashing is made using the S-Port. Using the script for the codes is done over the air once the RX is bound.

srl

I was able to flash 2 RX6R rxs using a different firmware I found on github: uni-firmware-2023-04-07.zip 
This zip file contains uni_RX6R_v78sm.frk which worked to flash both of my RX6R rxs via the smartport, and in both cases there was a success message after the flash. Once flashed, one rx that previously was bound to the qx7 no longer was bound, or would bind. The other rx would bind to the tx model, but the telemetry was said to be zero and the servos would not work.

Thank you for explaining about the scripts. I missed this point, possibly because it is not explained anywhere, indeed there is no coherent instruction for using uni that I saw. When you load the script, what is the location? I expect it may be the tools folder in system menu. I doubt many people are going to be patient enough to jump through all these hoops. The firmware the Aloft website says to use to flash the RX6R is I believe the wrong firmware. Why do you have to have a code, is payment required?

Working hard to bind my RX6R rxs reminded me how I hated the job of holding down the tiny, micro, fragile bind button with a small screwdriver, while turning on rx power.  At one stage before I moved on from accst to access I learned to do it without much problem but now I am obviously out of practice. I worry I have damaged the bind button on one of the 2 rxs by pushing too hard.

At the moment it feels like I am going to stick with elrs.

Tools folder is correct.
Its free just email and I got a reply the next Morning. We will have to wait to Wednesday.

I just went for some range test walk's down the street. It's much better than the Frsky firmware!

srl

Try a FRsky firmware ?

srl

I havn't had a chance to load the script yet, but I discovered that the stage I am at (where the rx is bound to the tx, telemetry works, but the servos have no movement) has implications. I am using a ACCST QX7 with edgetx. This has some models with frsky ACCST, and other models using an eLRS betafpv module. When I select the model edgetx knows whether to use the internal (XJT) module, or the external elrs (CRSF) module. But now, not only does my R6XR not have servo movement, none of my elrs models have servo movement, although they do have telemetry working.

It seems the lock on servo movements with ACCST extends to elrs models.
I am hoping when I get the code that my tx can return to normality.

(11-04-2023, 08:11 AM)greggold Wrote:  

Try a FRsky firmware ?

srl

I havn't had a chance to load the script yet, but I discovered that the stage I am at (where the rx is bound to the tx, telemetry works, but the servos have no movement) has implications. I am using a ACCST QX7 with edgetx. This has some models with frsky ACCST, and other models using an eLRS betafpv module. When I select the model edgetx knows whether to use the internal (XJT) module, or the external elrs (CRSF) module. But now, not only does my R6XR not have servo movement, none of my elrs models have servo movement, although they do have telemetry working.

It seems the lock on servo movements with ACCST extends to elrs models.
I am hoping when I get the code that my tx can return to normality.
I re-flashed my elrs module, but all my elrs models still have servos that do not move. There is a lock on all servos belonging to models (not just ACCST, also elrs) in my QX7 that will persist until I get my code. I am hoping to get my elrs functionality back with the code. I searched on github for the file UNI-Activate.lua - its hard to find, and you cannot simply hit a download button when you do find it. I clicked the "raw" option, and then did a "File save as" manoeuvre. The file goes in the tools folder, and you need to have your uni-flashed and bound rx on when you run it. I got a 12 character code, and you do not enter this - you email it to Aloft. (see attached instructions).

I expect 90% of people who attempt to use Uni may give up before this stage.  I am persisting as my elrs planes are on my QX7 are inactivated and I really want them back. Had I known this would occur I would not have gone ahead with Uni. I-A

Attached Files
.pdf Universal ACCST Guide.pdf Size: 102.83 KB  Downloads: 0

It seems strange that the uni firmware on your ACCST module has prevented your ELRS module from working. I would have thought they would be separate.

Yes .
Did you flash your TX module by mistake?

Uni firmware is working fine here. Did a few walking tests with RX's , it seems to have better range with FRsky tx's than the MPM. No swamping now which is great.

srl

(13-04-2023, 07:54 PM)srl Wrote:  Yes .
Did you flash your TX module by mistake?

Uni firmware is working fine here. Did a few walking tests with RX's , it seems to have better range with FRsky tx's than the MPM. No swamping now which is great.

srl

I think that is possible. I will need to reflash the internal module, I have reflashed ther external elrs module and that made no change.  I received my code sent by Aloft (in response to the code I sent them), and on re-running the lua the code was accepted and tx screen said activated, but the problem persists.

Uni firmware downloads are at the end of the first post here-

A reply from Aloft with activation codes has been received the next working day (overnight).
Its no Mccoy LOS fix for my X6R's with my Horus10x and MPM , but the frsky swamping issue is gone.
But all fine when using them on my old Taranis plus.

I have since upgraded the antennas to the PCB versions but have yet to test.

srl