Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

So what are we all building during lockdown?

Lets start on the wing.

srl

(12-07-2020, 05:18 PM)Busboy Wrote:  Nice flying Jason, looks like she goes wherever you point it...
It's not too bad could probably do with a little more tuning but it's getting there.
I need to sort out the camera mount at the moment it's shaking the crap out of the camera which is no good at all.
I'm hoopefull I can get that sorted soon

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(16-07-2020, 07:53 AM)srl Wrote:  Lets start on the wing.

srl
   The fuse looks good. Interesting how the ribs slot in to the shear web with deep slots like that.
I guess the main strength comes from the strips that make up the spar caps.

Laser cutting is really cool it's a great way to build things. The cad part of it take some time and effort tho'

Keep the photos coming !!

Jason

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Now I need to find my West System and carbon tow to beef up the spar.

srl

It's looking nice and light!!

Hi Jason
I don't know about light as all the plywood adds up. It will be compaired to the Hobby king stick (Crusader) as it will have the same 3536, 10x5  motor setup.
Good to replace the wing sheeting with one long sheet. The kit is cut to fit in a box for nomal postage.
I would have concerns about the wing holding together without the changes.
West system glues the sheet to the carbon tow and spar, white wood glue along the ribs and leading edge.

srl

More wing sheeting and the wing tips.
Pins pull out eassier with white glue , not so good with CA.
The ply wing join looks a bit weak , will have to do something about that.

srl

Wings joined and strengthened with fiberglass.
Also using sandpaper to make balsa dust!.

srl

Lets start covering.

srl

Best to make use of these JR servos. I dout they have any colectors value !

srl

Its finished and It flys great!

srl

Looks great, a long time coming.
Is that running on 3s?

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

Yes 3s Tod.

Its good if you like building with balsa.
If you want to learn to fly then maybe just buy something like this PNP version -
https://www.banggood.com/Hookll-Cessna-1...otproducts&cur_warehouse=AU&ID=531466

srl

Here is my Capp glow to outrunner conversion, this aircraft was last flying about 15 years ago. Lots of dust and dry oil still on it.

Cutting out a motor and battery mount on the CNC.

All done and it flys quite well.

srl

I hope you didn't clean off the oil residue, just give it a clear coat , make it look authentic and awesome that it has been flown by glow engine.

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

I've been asked about the weight.

1760g pluss  batterys 425,

The large KatanaMX with the same motor is 1578g without batterys.

srl

Another glow conversion , this is a Thunder tiger ARF from 2007.

Weight without batteries is 1701g.
Will test fly tomorrow. I think it only took to the air a couple of times with the 46pro. CG looks ok.

srl

Been making some props for my 100g Index. It flys great around the backyard.
Now making content for the forum here?

Ok I can't upload any photos.  Will have to see about getting this fixed.
Also members and field attendance register are gone.

srl

Hey Gents,

A suggestion for those who aren’t already in the habit. I just finished cycling my pile of lipos. Pretty important to do at least once or twice a year for all your batteries in order to keep them on life support, especially during lockdown. Be sure to charge in a safe place.

j.

(05-02-2021, 07:22 PM)srl Wrote:  Another glow conversion , this is a Thunder tiger ARF from 2007.

Will test fly tomorrow. I think it only took to the air a couple of times with the 46pro. CG looks ok.

srl

Nice plane Steve. I got one of those 12 years ago. Fitted a YS90 helicopter engine and lots of power. This engine is too heavy though. I tried an OS50 engine but its too small. I think an OS60 will be the right size but before I can try it, I crashed it is a very windy landing. I didn't bother to repair it.

Did you just buy it now? Or you kept it over the years?

Hi Carlou

2007 I think , when ARF's became popular, Its been siting around a while. Only a few flights on it.

srl

(12-09-2021, 04:03 PM)srl Wrote:  Hi Carlou

2007 I think , when ARF's became popular, Its been siting around a while. Only a few flights on it.

srl

I'm jealous. You are a legend to keep that plane for years. Mine was exactly the same colour hence I recognized it immediatly. Fist reaction was, "Oh that was my plane". No I crashed it. I still have the props.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This lockdown was so boring so I decided to convert my Nitro heli to Electric. I also converted the flybarred head to flybarless by modifying the exsiting head. The pinion to motor adapter is still in progress and would like to solicit the help of a machinist if we have a member. Here's the progress so far.

Attachment #1 - Battery tray completed
Attachment #2 - Head converted to flybarless
Attachment #3 - Pinion to motor adapter still in progress

The pinion adapter is quite straight foreward. I already have an aluminium rod 16mm in diameter. Work that needs to be done is to machine it to bore a 6mm home where the shaft of the motor will be fitted and secured with two set screws. Then one side will be threaded where the pinion is attached. Full details in Pinion Adapter V4 drawing. If somebody from our members is a machinist, can I get some help to make the adapter. I have the set screw, Pinion and the aluminium rod already. I'm happy to pay the machining cost.

The picture showing how the pinion is mounted in the adapter and motor was made by somebody in the US. I modified the profile of the adapter to make machining easier.

Carlou, your conversion is looking good. That 9mm thread looks like it could be 9x0.5mm but that will need to be measured correctly.
Will aluminium be fine to put up with the torque from the motor? Or do you think brass might be the go? Plus the rotation of the motor, will that be clockwise looking from the base of the motor so that it will always be tightening the thread and not loosening?

(12-09-2021, 07:20 PM)Busboy Wrote:  Carlou, your conversion is looking good. That 9mm thread looks like it could be 9x0.5mm but that will need to be measured correctly.
Will aluminium be fine to put up with the torque from the motor? Or do you think brass might be the go? Plus the rotation of the motor, will that be clockwise looking from the base of the motor so that it will always be tightening the thread and not loosening?

The pinion was originally connected to the clutch bell as shown in the video. The clutch bell is made of Aluminium so I assume using an aluminium pinion adapter will work. But I am happy for better suggestions. Inside the clutch bell is the clutch bolted on the engine with a 6mm shaft connected to the starter adapter. The clutch bell and the clutch itself will be replaced by the Pinion adapter. I'm really hoping somebody can lend a hand on this adapter.

The motor I am planning to use has also a shaft diameter of 5.98mm as shown. According to my calculations, this motor will give me 1950RPM (85% of no load speed) on idle up easily on 12S LiPo with a gear ratio of 95T/11T. So there is still ample power for the throttle pumps.

I finally completed the conversion of a Nitro Helicopter to Electric during the lockdown. Thanks for the tips from Todd on the pinion gear adapter. I ended up reusing the stock clutch and bell assembly. Here a video of the conversion.

More updates to this project.

Here she is now. Thanks to Pete who took the video.

(05-02-2021, 07:22 PM)srl Wrote:  Another glow conversion , this is a Thunder tiger ARF from 2007.

srl

That would be a Hoot with a TT46 Pro. It must have been interesting to fly with that kind of power plant.

Both the Thunder Tiger ARF and the Capp my father built for me took to the air again on 6 cell. Both were OK but you have to keep the speed up compared to more modern lighter ARF planes of the same size.
Because of the cowling I remember having cooling problems with the glow motors in both planes. The Capp had my old OS FSR60, it was old then and that was 20 years ago!

It was good to get them flying again but I needed all the area available at Mccoy field. I will fly them again when we get some dry weather.

srl