Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

*PLEASE READ* Field Status Update
Exclamation 

*NOTIFICATION OF CLOSURE OF MCCOY PARK FLYING FIELD*

In line with the Prime Minister’s request for all Australians to “stay at home” the PRCAC Committee has resolved to close the McCoy Park Flying Field effective immediately and until further notice.

We ask that members do not visit the field until notified by the Committee of a return to normal flying operations. Please be advised that the gate combination locks will be updated over the coming days and the new combination will not be issued to members until such time the field may be safely reopened to members.

The fact we find ourselves in the unusual situation of having to close our field due to public health reasons is a reflection of the severity of the challenge we face at this critical time. It is absolutely imperative we all do our bit to slow the transmission rate of the Coronavirus through our community in order to avoid overloading our health system and it’s ability to provide basic and intensive care to all Australians if and as needed throughout this pandemic.

While we might lack the ability to congregate down at the field for a while there’s simply no need for us to become strangers over that time. Our club serves it’s members in a number of different ways and providing a place to fly is just one of them. I believe it is well worthwhile we each make some effort to keep in touch with each other via this forum over the coming weeks and months. If you have news, build updates or anything else you would like to share, please do so, as it may well help to entertain and inspire the rest of us. I myself have a half-finished micro quadplane project that hasn’t been advanced much in about 2 years, so I’ll endeavour to make some progress on the bench with that while in lockdown and share my successes and frustrations with you here.

Please everybody stay safe, be mindful of the risks and take care of yourself and those around you.

If anyone has any questions, requests or suggestions, or you are in need of any form of assistance at this challenging time, do not hesitate to reach out to myself or another member of the Executive.

Kindest regards,

Jason B
President - PRCAC

Any news about this?

I went for a run in the morning and I can't understand how come the golf driving ranges are still open but not our clubs where we have more space to keep our distance and rarely have to touch anything other than our planes and radios.

Is there anything we can do to change this as the government did with recreational fishing?

(11-04-2020, 07:30 PM)Gabino_Huerta Wrote:  Any news about this?

I went for a run in the morning and I can't understand how come the golf driving ranges are still open but not our clubs where we have more space to keep our distance and rarely have to touch anything other than our planes and radios.

Is there anything we can do to change this as the government did with recreational fishing?

G'day Gabino,

Unfortunately, no. There's been no status change with regard to field access.

I can certainly sympathise with your frustration, as no doubt can many others here in NSW and elsewhere. You could be forgiven for seeing double standard all around you.

As for what we can do to change things, I am not entirely sure that is in our best interests... but I am certainly open to discussion. Having not discussed this issue with the committee since the field closure on the 26th of March I would have to reach out to the boys at this point to determine what we might like to do if anything.

What we can and can't do under the current rules is made perfectly clear, while still being deliberately ambiguous enough to drive a recreational locomotive through. While the spirit and intent of the rules are made perfectly clear, there's plenty of wriggle room. As a result it really wouldn't surprise me if we could justify reopening in some form (perhaps on a roster or something) should the committee, preferably in consultation with and following suitable advice from the national association (MAAA) and state delegated authority (ANSW), wish to explore this possibility.

Looking at the example you've sighted, it is the Department of Primary Industries who provide guidance on whether fishing is ok or not. See here to read their advice to recreational fishermen in NSW. Note that while they make explicitly clear that all hunting in NSW is effectively banned, they cut a very different line on fishing. The DoPI (pronounced: dopey) provide plenty of advice without actually saying anything at all... other than to quote a very specific excerpt from the official police statement. What they are effectively saying without saying, because the police said it not them, is "go and get some exercise while exercising your best judgement". Or, in other words: "Go fishing, but, be responsible, don't be silly, don't blatently flout the rules, make sure you pass the character test if questioned, and reference this advice if you wish to avoid receiving a fine or to contest any fine issued".

Could the MAAA or, more likely considering the fact that the rules vary from State to State, the ANSW issue similar advice to member clubs like ours? Yeah, I reckon so, if they wished. As a member club we would be wise to consider any advice issued by the MAAA or ANSW.

I will discuss with the committee and see where it leads. Please be patient, we'll see what happens.

Regards,

j.

I'm not sure anyone is going to stick their neck out in the MAAA and work out a set of guidelines and say it's sanctioned. you simply won't get that.
You'd have to approach it from the other direction and ask the quintessential question which is weather the MAAA or ANSW has expressly forbidden it in writing. Because if they have then there will be no insurance cover and having the correct and current insurance cover is a condition of the lease over the field that the club has with the council. Breach that condition and you are breaking the law not only that but such a breach would jeopardize the clubs relationship with the council. I can't stress how important that relationship is. No one wants to do that!! Flying fields are very hard to come by and we must jealously guard our access to fly at McCoy Park.

That would be first question of many questions that need to be answered.

Yes sure Practically speaking It could certainly be done with access on a roster based system as has been suggested.

Yes sure I agree that Flying could be considered exercise and education it could also be considered work in some circumstances. Perhaps even a religion but that might be pushing it. Wink

I'm sure we will come out the other side of this with plenty of time to fly and a great field and a great club as well.

We have to consider the possible ramifications of our actions if there are any complaints the club will be seen in a bad light.
Remember politically drones and model aircraft are all lumped into the one basket and anything that looks irresponsible will be ammunition to be used against us.
Very few people feel politically polarized about golf so you can see it is not the same thing. For example there has not been a whole raft of new legislation written about golf in the last two years.

I don't want to sound like a killjoy or the village policeman I'm just putting up a few thoughts out there for discussion and consideration. I love flying and I don't get to do enough of it. We are all in the same frustrating situation.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Email Bulletin Number
Twenty Five 2019-2020

From the ANSW President - Tim Nolan.

COVID-19 Update

I’m very pleased to let you know that the NSW Premier has announced that outdoor gatherings of up to 10 people, for recreational purposes, will be allowed in NSW from Friday 15th May. That means that any Clubs that have been closed can now reopen for flying, subject to the limitation of 10 people and subject to observing the social distancing requirements.

Larger clubs, in particular, might need to give some thought to how this can be made to work. For example:

All pilots to have downloaded the CovidSafe app
All visitors to be pilots ie no friends/observers adding to the numbers at the field
Signing in and out with name, time, date, mobile number at the field
Reminder signs about social distancing
Distance markers at the flight line so that pilots stand the required distance apart
Roster systems
Limits of 2 or 3 hours for visits to the field

It is entirely up to each club how this is handled but, as the Premier said this morning, we should still assume that we have the virus, or the person nearby has the virus, and take appropriate care. It’s wonderful to get back to flying so quickly however, there’s an obligation on all of us to remain vigilant for everyone’s benefit.

Safe flying!

Tim Nolan,

That is great news for us. I'm sure everyone is itching to get down and burn a few packs in the air and to get their thumbs back in action.

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

HI, guys. I visited the field this afternoon after visiting the blind shop to pick up some parts for my vertical blinds the field is looking good has been mode by clubs mower guys and counsel as well I looked up the call trees number Little Horace are still growing were several of them are some that Pete and myself poisoned?. I’m also looking forward to get back to flying as I’m having flying withdrawal?.

Email Bulletin Number
Twenty Six 2019-2020

From the ANSW President - Tim Nolan.

COVID-19 Further Update

We have had some requests from Clubs for examples of wordings for their members - so I’ve included an example from one of the large Sydney clubs. Some of the content may not apply to your club, and please note the careful wording around the downloading of the CovidSafe app. This is deliberate because it is an offence to FORCE people to download the app.

I hope this example helps:

As the limit is a maximum of 10 people, and we do need to observe this, here are a few thoughts:

We must still observe the 1.5 metres for social distancing. No hugging, handshaking or cuddling, however much you’ve missed your clubmates
If you haven’t already done so, you might want to consider downloading the CovidSafe app. It’s there to help protect you, and also to protect others
Please, while we are limited to 10, everyone coming should be coming to fly. If someone brings a visitor, that’s one less space for a pilot
We’ll put up some reminder signs about social distancing, and we’ll also install some spacers on the flight line so that pilots stand the required distance apart
If you have finished flying, and there are close to ten people there, please don’t hang around because you will count towards the ten limit
If you can, try and come at one of the quieter times, particularly if you are coming for instruction, or bringing someone who requires instruction (as long as the instructor doesn’t mind, of course). Busiest times are Saturday morning, Friday morning, Tuesday morning and Sunday afternoon generally
Some of our members will be working Monday to Friday and will only be able to fly at the weekend, so please accommodate them if at all possible
On Friday morning, we have a few people who turn up early to mow, edge, clear-up and prepare the field. If you are coming on a Friday but not doing maintenance, please consider coming after, say, 10:30, to give our maintenance volunteers a fair go at a fly after they have finished working on the field

Tim Nolan,

(11-05-2020, 04:27 PM)BOB Wrote:  HI, guys. I visited the field this afternoon after visiting the blind shop to pick up some parts for my vertical blinds the field is looking good has been mode by clubs  mower guys  and counsel as well I looked up the call trees number Little Horace  are still growing  were several of them are some that Pete and myself poisoned?. I’m also looking forward to get back to flying as I’m having flying withdrawal .
We are all having withdrawal and going steer crazy,you just hang in there Bob !!!

Hey can we have a Google spreadsheet or something similar to "book" our visit to the club?, I might go on Sunday morning with a visitor, if possible...

(12-05-2020, 05:27 PM)Gabino_Huerta Wrote:  Hey can we have a Google spreadsheet or something similar to "book" our visit to the club?, I might go on Sunday morning with a visitor, if possible...

Hoping to have a committee meeting with the boys tomorrow evening. Stay tuned for update later on in the week,

Email Bulletin Number
Eleven 2020 2021

Covid 19 Update 20-10-2020

Covid-19 – restrictions eased in NSW

As an update to last week’s bulletin, the government has announced an increase from 20 to 30 people allowed to gather in a public space, effective from Friday 23rd Oct 2020.

Clive Weatherhead

Secretary - ANSW

secretary@nsw.aeromodelers.org.au

www.nsw.aeromodellers.org.au

Email Bulletin Number
Thirteen 2020 2021

Covid 19 Update

Covid 19 – Outdoor gathering limit raised

With effect from 1st December, the outdoor public gathering limit in NSW has been raised to 50 people, subject to social distancing rules. This should allow most clubs to return to something approaching normality in terms of pilots and visitors.

Clive Weatherhead

Secretary – Aeromodellers NSW