Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

New Addition to the hanger.

Hi Guys,

I picked this up from a friend from work last night.

He has had it in his garage for a very long time & was given to him & he has never flown it.

The plane I believe it was built from scratch plans and is very well made as can be seen.

Shall convert it to electric in the future - thinking I may take it down for a static display on Australia Day.

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

Looks cool Ingo,
Should be nice and Aerobatic when you have it finished.
How's Margaret? and your knee?
Will we be seeing you down the field this weekend?

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I am in the middle of a new build myself.
What servos are you thinking of running.
I have just ordered these beasties for my new build which also has a flight weight of 2800grams.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=12451
Which by the way just happens to be almost the same size as yours... go figure.
Was going to buy JR 9511's but they are $135.00 each.
These servos have been given a huge rape and have an even higher torque rating than the JR's that I run in my Sukhoi 50.

Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Those servos do look "the business" Gazz. I was going to use some Futaba S3003 servos that I already have but the ones you're pointing at have well over three times the stall torque - and they're metal-geared as well. For about $25 a piece, they've got to be worth a go. Yep, gunna get three of them next order! Thanks mate.

Steve Murray

Owen, if your looking to keep the chipmunk cheapish on the setup these are parts i used in the pc9..

servos(i used these in my easy sport and pc9): $5.95us each
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=3743
motor(ive pushed to 2000 watts): $27.40us
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=4907
and i just used a standard 80 amp plush for the speedy and push that setup on 6s with 12x8, can run 5s on 12x6 in that chipmunk or 4s on a 13x10 perhaps to keep batts cheap, eaither way you have a huge powerband to work with, the eflite46 would be superior but the cost wasnt worth it for me when i believe my pc9 goes good enought on the turnigy, if you prop it right you could easily use a plush 60 if ya wanted. anyway if you want to check anything on it just ask at the field.

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Cheers Kevin! That saves us a lot if time looking for the right setup on groups or other forums.

When do you think we shall see you next? Smile

Super-Chipmunk
Pitts Special
Parkzone Habu

Just unpacked a new machine this evening. It's an edge 540 from super and cheaper. It's light straight and very nicely built. should be a bit of fun to fly.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hmm - interesting find there Jason ... look forward to seeing that in the air!

Steve Murray

Finished my new Seb Art Katana 50.
Just waiting on the Servos from Hobbyking as well as the Hacker Motor and Dualsky ESC to arrive from Model Flight and we will have lift off.
My Sukhoi now has stable mate.

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Very nice Gazz - looking forward to seeing that down at the field!

Steve Murray

Very nice machine Gazz Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Looks Nice Gary , Colour Scheme Great.

Looks Like Its A big Scale version 1400mm ?

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Jeez, you weren't kidding when you said you'd put some stickers on it!

(15-01-2011, 05:57 PM)~KevJ~ Wrote:  ... i believe my pc9 goes good enough on the turnigy,

Yep! ... that's the understatement of the year Smile

Steve Murray

Odered this from the HK Aus Warehouse Sunday, at my front door on Wednesday.
The packing was pretty sturdy, double boxed and undamaged.
Assembly was pretty easy, the decals were the hardest.
Once finished i tested the electronics, and pooof!! The ESC cookedConfused I'm thinking the ESC was for NiMH. Lucky i had a spare ESC and now all's good.
Going to bring down on Sat for Maiden.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Very Nice, Looking Forward to seeing it in the air.
It looks Like Its the Strong Foam Version, not like the Hopper.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

The reviews state that she's quite a bit twitchy so alot of expo is required.
It'll take a bit of courage to get this bird up..

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Couldn't help my self, I caved in to the temptation, and ordered a fun jet from HK early last week. I also ordered the up grade motor and a heavier duty ESC

I received the kit on Friday but was to busy to do much with it over the weekend, I'm still waiting for the upgrade motor as well as that wasn't from the AU warehouse.

I couldn't help being a bit disappointed with the way the elevons were hinged and the elevons them selves come to think of it. No major drama tho' I just cut them off threw them away and replaced them with a new set of solid balsa ones planed from bunnings finest 3/8 balsa Smile
Then I thought that while I was at it I might as well take the servo's out and replace them with more powerful ones and then well why not relocate them on the upper side of the wing where they won't get rubbed in the mud when landing.
Now I'm just wondering weather to change the clevises for metal ones as well. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

It should be almost ready to go when the motor arrives.

All good moves Jason
Welcome to Funjet world, all of the upgrades you have made are spot on, either you have been reading up on the Funjet forum or you are just a very clever dood.
All us Funjet junkies have relocated our servos to above wing.
All us Funjet junkies have upgraded our Elevons to solid balsa
All us Funjet junkies have upgraded our Elevon hinges
Once you are comfortable with the Factory upgrade flight characteristics and want to get serious
Stiffen up the wings with extra size Carbon rods and leading edge fibreglass laminate.
Glass in a carbon fibre stiffener under the fuse for the extra big motor torque from the extra big motor mount to carry the extra big motor and extra big battery to give you the extra big seat of your pants SEEEEE YYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA when you hit the balistic stick.
OK I'll stop waffling but the sky is litterally the limit (no come to think of it there really is no limit)
The Funjet really is a wicked piece of kit. Have fun
Gazz
PS: MY Funjet does around 250kph and I still run plastc clevices

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

You've convinced me Gazz !!
I'll keep the clevices. Smile
What motor are you running in yours? I've ordered the 2836 -2300KV
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=7993

I was also looking at this one, Same motor boady just wired for 3200KV
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=8138

I was concidering using only filliment tape to toughen the
wings mainly because of weight. I could put in a carbon spar but we used to fly slope soarers with just tape on foam and they went pretty fast and pulled high G's. they never failed in the air, Sometimes when conditions permitted they were heavily balested as well.

Have you ever heard of a funjet failing in the air with out a carbon spar or clapping wings ?? I know Kizza's striker suffered flutter and failed a linkage.

I'll have a look at the forums tho' looking the airframe I'd think the main mode of failier was impact with the ground.

Have you got any interesting funjet links??

Thanks for the great info Gazz !!

Here's some pics of the progress so far

Hi Jason

Steve is the research guru on the Skyfuns, He is the one who burnt out a shit load of motors and ESC's trying to find a reliable motor that would supply serious YEEHAAAAAAAAAAA.
I am running Turnigy 2650 mAh 4S 40C batteries a Turnigy Plush 80 ESC and a 4.5 x 4.5 APC prop with a Scorpion 2221-8 I am pulling 78 amps Static, so it would be a little less in the air.
Here is a link.
http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/mo...HK-2221-8/
These motors are almost indestructable. I get 4 to 5 minutes in the sky with carefull throttle use, but the speed is rediculous.
Steve has upgraded from this motor and is now running 5 and 6S on another Scorpion motor and is touching 300kph.
I crashed my Skyfun at well ove 200 kph and the motor said "Is that all you got mate." The airframe also survived thanks to the glass reinforcement on the nose, the bottom of the fuse and the leading edges of the wings.
Dont forget to upgrade you Servos otherwise your Elevons will fail at high speed.
I am using HK929MG servos and they handle to speed very well.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=11856
These little servos are so good I am now using them in all my small aircraft
Check out the Skyfun thread for more technical info that you can absorb.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(03-05-2011, 05:22 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Hi Jason

Steve is the research guru on the Skyfuns, He is the one who burnt out a shit load of motors and ESC's trying to find a reliable motor that would supply serious YEEHAAAAAAAAAAA.
I am running Turnigy 2650 mAh 4S 40C batteries a Turnigy Plush 80 ESC and a 4.5 x 4.5 APC prop with a Scorpion 2221-8 I am pulling 78 amps Static, so it would be a little less in the air.
Here is a link.
http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/mo...HK-2221-8/
These motors are almost indestructable. I get 4 to 5 minutes in the sky with carefull throttle use, but the speed is rediculous.
Steve has upgraded from this motor and is now running 5 and 6S on another Scorpion motor and is touching 300kph.
I crashed my Skyfun at well ove 200 kph and the motor said "Is that all you got mate." The airframe also survived thanks to the glass reinforcement on the nose, the bottom of the fuse and the leading edges of the wings.
Dont forget to upgrade you Servos otherwise your Elevons will fail at high speed.
I am using HK929MG servos and they handle to speed very well.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=11856
These little servos are so good I am now using them in all my small aircraft
Check out the Skyfun thread for more technical info that you can absorb.
Gazz

Thanks again Gazz !!

Couldn't resist, bought two new planes...

Decathlon EP 48.9inch ARF
I have always liked this plane, moreso when i saw Kierans (before the Fatal crash) I also have one of these hanging in my sons bedroom, its the large scale with over a 2m wingspan.
I'll be coming to you Kieran for some tips on the build.

And

Kinetic 800 mini glider
(Buddy code http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?code=...B7E0CA4EE6)

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Cool, I was half thinking of grabbing one as a club trainer now that they're in the Aussie Warehouse.
My old walk around vid with specs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WCiH6yqMx4
Plane: Decathlon EP 48.9 inch ARF
Power: TR 35-48A 1100kv Brushless Outrunner & TURNIGY Plush 60amp Speed Controller
Battery: 3s 3000mAh
Servos: Corona Digital Servo 2.2kg / 12.5g / .11sec
Rx: Spektrum AR7000

Only change I made to that setup was going to a 13x4 2 bladed prop.

You can get away with less powerful motor but you MUST fly the aircraft, it wont tolerate any yanks and banks. When taking off it MUST have airspeed before you pull back on the stick and when landing you have to fly it down to the deck.
Very rewarding aircraft when you get all these things right

Here is a sneak peek at my Kirby Chambliss Red Bull Edge 540, just waiting on servos to finish the majestic beast off. This thing runs a Dualsky MG5050 an will twist itself out of your hands running on 5S with a 14 x 10 prop......................lookout!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

That is very very nice gazz, Thats one big prop pusher 14x10.

Steve Smile

Replying to Peter's post, I bought a Kinetic Glider too :-) didn't bother with stickers, painted the wings red. A 1.6 3s fits (a little heavy but so what) Looks good, just need some sunshine to maiden the bloody thing.

I just squash in a turnigy 500mah 3s, how do you fit a 1.6mah???

(21-07-2011, 08:52 AM)Panspermian Wrote:  Replying to Peter's post, I bought a Kinetic Glider too :-) didn't bother with stickers, painted the wings red. A 1.6 3s fits (a little heavy but so what) Looks good, just need some sunshine to maiden the bloody thing.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

HA! I just spent about 10mins trying to squash it in again, but yeah it works, hatch closed, perfect.

ESC pushed forward and up into that gap it can squash into. Receiver towards the back, battery in the middle and there's still room either side of the battery for the hatch to clip shut.
All good :-)

nice one gaz , looking forward to seeing that go.

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Thread Closed