Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

New Addition to the hanger.

F8F Bear Cat EP (Aus Warehouse)

Impulse buy (because i liked the colour and shape)

Crap assembly, nothing fits straight, holes too big, holes missaligned, clevis' missing and so-on.
Worse bits are the very brittle plastic nose cone and canopy. Needed to be trimmed as these came straight from the mould. As soon as you cut it, it fractures and splinters leaving jagged edges and lots of cracks in the paintjob.
Chucked the ply motor mount as the frame pieces were not identical in the mount spacing and slots.

Its coming together now after lots of swearing and paitence.

Specs
Motor - X2814-07 1250kv
ESC - Ice Series 45A ESC
Prop - 11x5.5
Servo - MG-14

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Oh no not again!

Let just say Darren's one never truly flew, but by hell he tried. If its got one thing for it, its a tought sonofabitch to break!

I wish you very much luck Wink

Somebody stop me..., I just bought one of these.... http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=947&view=947 Paranoid

With motor and servos for 10% discount.

That looks like a very nice unit !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I think Steve is in the middle of building one of those Arron.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I think Chopper sent his back for a refund, it came in a very poor condition

I got my Self a full fibreglass Flyfly Diamond DA42 twin Star. I spent a few weeks putting it together.
If you are interested here is the RCgroups thread I started: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497337

The final weight with 2 X 4S 2200mhA is 4.08Kg.
I'm a little worried our field runway is too soft or not long enough for a hot landing. I'll bring it this weekend for a possible maiden depending on the conditions (weather and runway).Any help or advise is welcome.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Good stuff George
Thats a nice looking ride. Our runway is certainly long enough to handle it, I dont think that would need to land too fast, you just need to concentrate on getting your approach right and put the sucker on the deck at the beginning of the strip not half way down it. A light easterly breeze will make a big difference to landing without to much stress.
The weather this week looks like it will help our strip dry out some and if that is the case I will be flying my big twin this weekend, mine is 4.8 kgs and runs 2 x 3300 4S so if you need a little practical instruction I will be happy to help.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(12-09-2011, 06:47 PM)gbanger Wrote:  if you need a little practical instruction I will be happy to help.
Gazz

Hi Gazz

Any guidance and instruction would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't have flaps so I'm thinking of mixing some flaprons anyhow I will see at the field on Sunday, let me know if you are going Saturday and Ill bring it down.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Spoilerons better, flaperons can lead to nasty stalls

After the misshap last weekend, i decided to replace the decathlon with another......bigger one.

62.6inch

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Looks very nice - what power-train have you got in mind?

Steve Murray

Mishap? I thought I saw you floating it around quite solidly? What happened?

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC
---------------------------------------------------------------------

(07-10-2011, 11:20 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Looks very nice - what power-train have you got in mind?

G46 at this stage, but also looking at the turnigy 42-60.
(08-10-2011, 05:52 PM)Drew Wrote:  Mishap? I thought I saw you floating it around quite solidly? What happened?

Got cocky flying inverted to slow whilst banking on a turn, then whamoo into the asphalt. The wings, stab and elevators only survived, these to be kept for a whacky build on a stormy night!

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Too many wet weekends so I bought 90mm Freewing Eurofighter.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

(09-10-2011, 08:37 AM)Raptorfly Wrote:  Too many wet weekends so I bought 90mm Freewing Eurofighter.

Nice looking unit. Looks a bit complicated to get the radio and servos set up right. Looks like it has some neat features. Keep us posted with the progress.

I feel like need to start a 'dream machine' thread. .... just paid for a stryker Q BNF for $269 fron modelflight but I want to next year after I'm confident enough..... http://greenairdesigns.com/ejc/index.php...-bi-8.html

:-D

My latest back burner project arrived yesterday - known variously as the Mugin or Bigboy. Never flown, partially built by previous owner, filled with FPV gear, but (despite first appearances) needing quite a bit of TLC and attention before it'll be airworthy.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(03-12-2011, 05:17 PM)Claudius Wrote:  My latest back burner project arrived yesterday - known variously as the Mugin or Bigboy. Never flown, partially built by previous owner, filled with FPV gear, but (despite first appearances) needing quite a bit of TLC and attention before it'll be airworthy.

It Looks better than you Described to me Today, Nice Buy

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

OK, this one is a request for opinions on my NEXT purchase.
I have given up waiting for model flight to get the Seb Art Sukhoi 140 I have been waiting for for over 6 months.
These are the 2 aircraft in my sights, and I appreciate the opinion of you more experienced guys on which one you think would have the better "flying on rails" characteristics, like my Sukhoi.

Option 1:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

Option 2:

What do you think, I will be ordering one of these suckers in the next day or 2.
Thanks
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Gary
My only reservations with the HK fuse's is the seemingly soft balsa. The motor on my previous deacthlon tore from the fuse due to motor tourque. I'm also extra careful when holding the fuse as the ribs are thin and i have cracked a few in my new decathlon.
Finish on them are great though, but wouldn't rule out adding more bracing to stiffen it all up a bit.

This is only a single comparison between my Eflite Advance & HK Decathlon which is noticable.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Hi Gazz,
check out the planes from Hyperion, my chipmunk seems like it's good quality and they've got exactly the kinds of planes you're looking for.

I'm thinking of maybe getting this http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=35&view=35 some time next year. My first large aerobatic plane.

Not being gifted with model knowledge except to say that I have yet to see anything from Hobby King that doesnt come with flaws. Having read Pete's comment about his Decathlon, these thoughts are reinforced. Having said all that, I know your ability to strengthen what is needed and make a model work. Appearance-wise I favour the Sbach 342, it looks more your style and the controls appear good, but pictures can lie.

(19-12-2011, 04:50 PM)gbanger Wrote:  OK, this one is a request for opinions on my NEXT purchase.

Option 2:

If you want to make me insanely jealous, go with the SBach Smile

Been eyeing one off as my first performance composite. Was looking at a SebArt, or one of the smaller HK variants though - be sure to look on RCG for reviews on the 1900mm, because at least one of the smaller HK versions had some undesirable quality and flight issues.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Ive got a nice big Kyosho Edge 540 Red Bull SE that you could get back in the sky for a song!
Going cheap!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Gary I have Kev's smaller Sebart SBach here at home to assemble
for him.I like the look of them. However I must agree with previous posters
on here, beware the HK balsa models.
They are a bit on the soft side and most people have had to do a few mods to get them to fly
correctly. When you are paying the sort of money (>$300) you should be able to expect
that the airframe is sound.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Option 2:

What do you think, I will be ordering one of these suckers in the next day or 2.
Thanks
Gazz
[/quote]

Option 2 .. yes check rcgroups for a review before shelling out $$$.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

hey gazz, you can probably sort any probs you find with them anyway but i did read bad reviews on their sbach at around 1400-1500mm ws , thats why i bought the seb. just saying Smile

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

I'd be looking towards Precision Aerobatics or 3dHobbyshop if you want a real plane.

You could go for one of these

I have one still in the box I'm happy with the air frame only the paint work on the cowl is slightly marred. It's a nice model and pretty nicely built. It's also light. Your more than welcome to come and have a look at the build quality if you like. I got it to replace my other Yak 55m when it crashed.

I also have one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-EXT...d_Vehicles&hash=item4843351a11

Your more than welcome to have a look at it as well. It's a solidly constructed air frame and it's BIG !!

There's allways this one which is my original Yak 55 M
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yak55M-30CC-P...d_Vehicles&hash=item5d2e0d4bd4

It's a pretty nice kit with very nice hardware and there's the other colour scheme here

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yak55M-30CC-P...d_Vehicles&hash=item27bdd5ae65

This is the same as my red white and blue edge 540 just different colour scheme
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-Racer-Edge...d_Vehicles&hash=item27bdd5b202

This one would be worth a look too. It's pretty big at 70", would go well (read balistic) with a turnagy G 160 12S 3000 mAh. ie 2X 6S 3000 packs in series.
and the 120A HV Turnagy Kforce ESC. What a Hummmmmdinger !!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Extra260-70in...d_Vehicles&hash=item27c01ee5d3

(20-12-2011, 12:10 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  I'd be looking towards Precision Aerobatics or 3dHobbyshop if you want a real plane.

Or for an extra few hundred dollers you could take this very good advice and get something realy realy nice with very good instructions and very nice hardware!!

If you go for a PA model get everything from PA including the motor and ESC they have worked it all out to be just spot on. It will cost a bit more but it is good value for what you get. there models are just that nice.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci
Thread Closed