Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RE; Eagle Tree GPS????.

Hi guys. I cam across this YouTube video of the Eagle tree GPS system, looks good but fairly complicated?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrZmfKhibnA&t=1123s

(09-06-2017, 02:03 PM)BOB Wrote:  Hi guys. I cam across this YouTube video of the Eagle tree GPS system, looks good but fairly complicated?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrZmfKhibnA&t=1123s

If you are considering something like the Eagle Tree then I suggest you look into the ArduPilot project, which in my opinion is a far superior choice.

Here is a blog I did back in 2013 that covers my first ArduPilot build.

I have done many builds using this system and would be more than happy to assist you.

HI, Jason. Actually I think DJI Naza-M-Lite would better for me and be simpler to program then Eagle tree GPS system I’ve just been investigating GPS systems for my next quad and came across this by accident looks good but may be difficult to program but also like the idea of having it feed the power to the quad and no soldering either.

(09-06-2017, 04:47 PM)BOB Wrote:  HI, Jason. Actually I think DJI Naza-M-Lite would better for me and be simpler to program then Eagle tree GPS system I’ve just been investigating GPS systems for my next quad and came across this by accident looks good but may be difficult to program but also like the idea of having it feed the power to the quad and no soldering either.

The Naza-M is a bit long in the tooth these days and is extremely limited in what it will allow you to do. But it certainly is very simple, and relatively easy to get your head around. I have one in my P2V2, and can assist you with it's setup also if you like. The problem with buying a Naza-M Lite in my view is that it features a very dated (read: junk) GPS. In fact it is so old it is only single band compared to the tri band units we use today (flyaways have largely become a thing of the past since the widespread adoption of dual and tri band GPS units). I can upgrade your GPS and Magnetometer, as I have done for myself, but by the time you go to the trouble and spend the money on a suitable M8N GPS and Mag compo I reckon you might as well be using something different.

The ArduPilot system by comparison is quite a bit more complicated, but it does offer a long list of powerful features and functions that I think make it well worthwhile. ArduPilot also offers a number of clever features that can actually make it far easier to set up than even a Naza-M Lite, with awesome modes like autotune - which allows the craft to automatically test and configure it's own optimal PID settings, therefore making the task of getting a stable and reliable tune easy as flicking a few switches!

Here is a vid of me teaching a mate from the Netherlands how to use the autonomous features of his first ArduPilot powered craft (The Pocket Drone, a Kickstarter project).

If assembly and things like soldering is a barrier for you then you may wish to consider a 3DR Solo. It is cheap as chips these days, but does come ready to fly with a gun controller, an onboard microcomputer paired with a 32-bit PX4 controller and oodles of powerful features. The SA11A version is the one without the 3-axis gimbal, but is all you need to get started, and can be purchased at very low cost. $300-$350AUD shipped seems to be the going rate for a refurb or second hand SA11A on eBay, with brand new units not much more than that.