Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Airshows

Hi all,
Put this date in your diary - 18th & 19th Sept 2010.

The RAAF are putting on an airshow at Williamtown and the list of planes that will be on display is very impressive.
The new F18 Super Hornet will be demonstating its capabilities and the F-111 will be saying it's sad farewell. There will also be others from the RAAF and the Navy Air Wing, plus Temora Aviation museum is sending up a number of its warbirds, F86 Sabre, Meteor, Spitfire and Mustang. Not to be outdone the HARS is a sending up a Super Constellation, Catalina and Dakota, there is something to suite everyones tastes.

So who is interested in going up? Me!!!!! Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

I'm thinking of making a weekend of it, possibly going up Friday afternoon or very early Saturday morning and coming home Sunday afternoon once I have seen the bulk of the air displays.

See the attached web sites for more info;

http://www.airforce.gov.au/airshows/

http://www.proticket.com.au/event.asp?eventid=669

It reminds me of the good old days of Schofield's (Mirage's doing high speed passes) & Richmond (F15 going vertical from a slow pass) Bi-Centenial airshows.

Can't wait!!
Chris Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

PS. Thanks Aron for mentioning this event to me a couple weeks ago.

I've been meaning to look this up for weeks but I always forget...
I want to go but depends what the boss says Smile

They're the dates of the Temora Jets meet where Darren will be flying his turbine jet.
Kieran and myself are also going to be there so I guess we will see
the Sabre etc heading off to willytown and coming back.Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Yep spewing about the date conflict!

Anyone keen on a Avalon road trip next year Wink

I might be interested in Avalon next year.
Do you happen to know the dates?

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

(02-08-2010, 11:21 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Anyone keen on a Avalon road trip next year Wink

I will be there. In the past went by air as a day trip but this time would like to visit Point Cook museum and any other interesting sights. I did drive to Melbourne once, it was a long trip, but that was before I had cruise control on my car.

A direct flight to the local airport seems to be the way if you book early. Did you have any particular idea in mind?

Kevin B

I normally camp down there. In the past it was great cos the camping site was at the airfield. Now its in the local town's oval.

Hi Guys,
I was surfing the web the other night looking for stuff on a particular WWII plane and came across this beauty of an airshow. It's accross the ditch so if you happen to be going over next year maybe you could arrange your travel dates to take in this one.
Even if you can't go take a look at what the web site has to offer, the photographs of previous displays are something else.
What caught my eye intially was the first public display of a wooden wonder, yes a de'Havilland Mosquito, for 15 years. Then to make it even sweater a regular favourite of many the F4U Corsair.
Take a look

http://www.classicfighters.co.nz/

Hi Chris,
Regarding the Williamtown Airshow and accommodation, you mentioned a couple of weekends ago that you were planning on staying over at a caravan park and pitching a tent for an overnight stay. Is that still your intention? - if so, could you let me know the name of the caravan park please? - Junior, KevinB and I are beginning to think you might have the only viable option there.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

(09-09-2010, 12:03 AM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Hi Chris,
Regarding the Williamtown Airshow and accommodation, you mentioned a couple of weekends ago that you were planning on staying over at a caravan park and pitching a tent for an overnight stay. Is that still your intention? - if so, could you let me know the name of the caravan park please? - Junior, KevinB and I are beginning to think you might have the only viable option there.
Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,
My brother and I plan to drive up early Saturday morning (leave around 6-30am) go straight to the airshow enjoy the first day's program then go onto Anna Bay.
We are staying at One Mile Beach Caravan Park.

http://www.onemilebeach.com/

Yes, we are pitching tents for the one night.

I have not yet purchased our tickets but intend to do so online for the Saturday very soon. We were thinking of watching the flying again on Sunday and will buy these tickets at the gate if we feel that it is worthwhile. Our intention is to leave for home at around 2-00 to 2-30pm.

Very much looking forward to the W/E.

Hope to see you there.
Cheers
ChrisM

Looks like you've done your homework Chris - nice one. Thanks for that, hopefully we can link up at some point.
See you this weekend if the weather doesn't ground us.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

I got a ticket for saturday, I'm going with a mate from Newcastle. I've decided to drive early sat morning and go home that evening.

I am keen on taking the family up. Does anyone know if the sat and sun displays are the same? From what I ca ngather from the website that looks to be the case.
Cheers

>>Does anyone know if the sat and sun displays are the same?<<

Should be that's why I'm only going saturday, geez, haven't been down the field for a while I need to fly again before I forget how to do it Smile

Don't forget last time we'll ever see an F 111 in N.S.W!!!!! Smile

Didn't go to the Williamtown Airshow myself, but here's a short video my brother took yesterday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp5G7ivAYaM

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Hi Guys..

Had to go away for weekend not feeling well with in laws, no chance of stopping in at flying field.. Icon_evil Icon_evil .. then I find out as we arrive.. We are only 5ks from AIR SHOW! YAY! Biggrin Seriously.. I mean.. what are the chances.. so my weekend turned out TOPS! Leet Took some pics for everyone..

Matt Hall retired RAAF now stunt pilot parking his beast .. (So mesmerized by routine didn't take any of him in air)

Some of the Jets.. (Got afterburner Video buts it's already posted..)

The legend..

.. and of course some Chopper action..

Rob
Belt CP 3D - CNC Head + Tail Leet
Various Co-Axial choppers micro to large Smile

As you probably no or gathered I spent the W/E at the Williamtown Airshow. These are some of the shots that I took.

If you have a liking for fast very low flying jets with plenty of noise then you would have been delighted with the display that the RAAF put on.
My pick of the jet displays was the closing item each day, where the RAAF demonstrated superbly the manouverabilty of the Hornet, turning so tightly and then quickly changing direction followed by barrel rolling at near stall speeds, needless to say the pilot had a high attack angle with plenty of power pushing him ultimately skywards.

For me I like both the modern jets and old warbirds equally, so having 4 of the 7 P51's that are in Oz at the one place at the same time was very satisfying. I must not forget the Mk VIII Spitfire also - five Merlin's is something else.

I certainly had a great W/E with plenty of aviation.

Chris M Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

Glad it turned out well for you blokes Chris - did you catch up with KevinB there?
Looking forward to hearing the "war stories" next weekend Smile

Steve Murray

It was a great show, my favorite was the FA18 going at 500kt, 250 feet directly above (really directly over head) the crowd (and me), and the noise you felt in your chest.

This time the RAAF got up close and personal, more so than any other RAAF show I've seen, I felt the heat on my face from the F111 dump and burn and from the FA18 after-burners.

Kevin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Avalon 2011

Something to consider booking now if you are interested in going:

at those prices, why drive?

I have emailed the organizers for camping, it is $30 per night per person I have asked them how this correlates with tent sites. The price includes toilets/showers and free shuttles to the airfield.
It will be possible to get a shuttle from the terminal to the camp site.

General Admission is $55 per day.
Gold Pass
One Day $170
Two Day Package $320
Three Day Package $460

I'm not really sold on the Gold Class benefits unless you plan to sit in that Grandstand all day!

My current plan would be to fly down early Friday, set up camp then go to the friday night and saturday displays. Everytime I've been to Avalon, Saturday and Sunday are the same show so I'd probably leave on the Sunday midday or arvo flight.
I'd play it by ear though, maybe spend Sunday morning browsing the tradeshow.

Wifey just booked our Tickets on Jetstar,

We're flying down and arriving at 1500 on the Thursday and going back 1200 on the Sunday.

Bookings for the campsite open in a fortnight

Chris,
We can't do the NZ trip with you, so have to hang out for your photographs/video!
Here's a link to a page on that nightfighter I was telling you about - the Heinkel 219. It was apparently the world's first purpose-designed nightfighter and was also the first operational aircraft to have ejection seats. On it's maiden outing as an interceptor the guy flying it disposed of 5 Lancasters and over the first half-dozen missions they claimed 20 aircraft including 6 Mosquitos. Not a particularly beautiful machine to look at, but it must have been something else to fly.
See you tomorrow,
Steve

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_he219.html

Steve Murray

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info on the He 219 - a very impressive design but as you say not so appealing to the eye.
Sorry that you can't do the NZ airshow, I know you have a keen interest in the FW 190. I'll do my best with the photo's.
Unfortunately I won't be at the field tomorrow and given the good flying that we had today - I want more.
See you next W/E.
Cheers
Chris

Avalon 2011 Campsite bookings now available:
http://www.airshow.net.au/avalon2011/pub...psite.html

Hey Kieran,
I had a look at the Avalon website earlier this week to check out the campsite details. They are a bit strick, can't do this, can't do that.
The can not's that I saw are:
No parking of vehicles next to you tent/van.
No powered sites and no generators allowed.
No open flame BBQ's or gas stoves.
No gas lanterns.
No amplified music
No tent pegs longer than 250mm

To me this means you are restricted to feeding yourself via the local shops etc.

Me not so keen on staying here.

Chris M

Yeah, its a school's oval, hence the restrictions. There are a few shops around the corner to eat at (Fish & Chips/Pub). The main advantage though is the free shuttle bus that bypasses all the traffic that you will be dealing with otherwise.

Avalon 2011
Foreign Military Aircraft
US Military
F-16
F-22
B-2 Spirit

KC-135
C5A
KC-30A (Subject to confirmation)
C-17
B-1
CH-47F
MH-60R
T-6 Texan

Can I get a OH HELL YEAH!!!!! ThumbupThumbupThumbup

Hi all,
Before everyone heads off to Avalon there is an airshow at Albion Park (Wollongong) on Sunday the 27th Feb.
While it may not be as big and bold it still has a bit to offer, especially when you consider it is only an hour or so from Sydney.
Prices are $20 for adults, $10 for concessions and $45 for families.
So if you want see and hear that sweet sound of a V12 Merlin (Spitfire) or the roar of an F18 not to mention the precison of the Roulettes I suggest you get yourself down there.

For more info see
http://www.woi.org.au/

Cheers
Chris M Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

hey there,
anyone ever been to the wings over illawara airshow?Just wanted to ask about travel to and from.They advise not to drive as their is no parking. As we've got 2 kids and it's a straight 3 hour train journey we're thinking of driving to a close train station and then take train from there. Any good/bad expeeinces with this?

(26-02-2011, 09:14 AM)sglnichols Wrote:  hey there,
anyone ever been to the wings over illawara airshow?Just wanted to ask about travel to and from.They advise not to drive as their is no parking. As we've got 2 kids and it's a straight 3 hour train journey we're thinking of driving to a close train station and then take train from there. Any good/bad expeeinces with this?

Hi Simon,
I went to this airshow 2 years ago and drove. Sure it was a bit conjested from the end of the freeway at Albion Park, but it only took 10 minutes or so to travel down to the car park at the airport which is a distance of 2 kms from the freeway.
From memeory they charged $5 or $10 for parking but this was essentially a donation to the local SES or Life Savers I can not remember which. Parking itself was not bad and getting out after the show was about the same as getting in.
In your situation (taking children) I would not even consider taking the train, me I am definately driving a taking it as it comes. Remember after a hot day on the tarmac and you are back in your own car and the air-con is going a few minutes wait in traffic is nothing.
If I don't see or hear from you have a great day, just listen to the Merlins of the Spitfire & P51 purr.
Chris M