Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE

Please be aware that some receivers and this includes some FrSky receivers. Have a failsafe condition that means the receiver continues to output the last good received position signal to the servos. It appears that with some FrSky receivers this is also the default setting.
This may be the case with other brands of receivers as well.

If you fly fixed wing and your receiver has a failsafe setting it MUST be set to go to zero throttle in the case of a los of signal. I cant stress how important this is!!

It is also very easy to test. All you have to do is have someone hold the model, set the throttle at some safe setting ie 1/4 throttle and turn off the TX while it is running. The throttle should return to a zero setting in a very short time. If it keeps running RESET THE FAILSAFE so it does shut the motor down when the TX is turned off!!!

If your plane fails the above test and you have trouble setting the failsafe then please ask for assistance we will get it sorted out for no problems at all.

It's important because if there is a loss of signal from the TX then at least the model wont be fully powered up when it's uncontrolled flight comes to an end. It doesn't take much imagination to think of what might occur if it goes in at full noise.

If you know of or use any other receivers that behave like this please post up a list and also hopefully links to how to correctly set the failsafe.

Here is a link to the manuals list for FrSky receivers it's not difficult to set them correctly just find the appropriate manual and follow the instructions.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/index.php?sort=Manual&cate_id=12&pro_id=0

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

To add to what Jason said, where single-rotor helis are concerned the blades should always be removed when undertaking any type of bench testing. Even the tail rotor of a big CP heli is dangerous, to say nothing of the main blades. It may be tempting to think "just this once", and to leave the blades on while running a brief experiment on the receiver/ESC/FBL, but the safe approach is to make a pact with one's self: ALWAYS remove BOTH the main and tail blades when configuring and testing - NO EXCEPTIONS!

The same safety strategy works well with fixed wing too. A plane without its prop is almost totally inert, though you can still get your finger pinched in the aileron hinge gap Wink

Thanks Andre good point!! it's probably easier to remove the prop of a fixed wing than find someone to hold on to it for you and certainly safer

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Its a good point. I recently set the failsafe on all my Frsky/Taranis receivers and found in every case the instruction was the same, namely with the Tx on and rx powered, place the Tx controls in the failsafe position (throttle off) and press the tiny button on the rx.

I like the Taranis/Frsky gear, except for the fragile tiny button on the rx. I have broken one button on a rx, and I found during the above exercise the failsafe would not work on another rx. I have posted on the Taranis website about how fiddly the bind procedure is, requiring depression of the tiny button while simultaneously operating the power switch. I think a system that uses sequential procedures (such as insert a bind plug, then add power) is easier - at least it is for me! Fortunately the failsafe procedure is simpler; however I am now super careful about how I press the button, using a fine wooden stick.

With my Taranis website post I found some support for my views on the button; however the moderator suspected I was a Spektrum ring-in.

Greg

Hi Jason,

Is there any work around for those who use the Turnigy system.

ie: I have a Turnigy 9XR-Pro with a Flysky Module and I use the standard Turnigy receivers.

I have searched the internet, but there does not seem to be a failsafe...having said that, someone always seems to come up with a work around.

Thanks, James

"She'll be right, I'll fix it in the air....."

"Failsafe" generally refers to the ability of some receivers to hold specific predefined channel outputs if the link with the transmitter is deemed lost. Even without failsafe, the receiver may still react to signal loss by dropping the throttle channel to zero, which is all we really want for most scenarios.

With the prop removed, it should be a relatively simple test.

James,

With FRsky receivers, basically the failsafe function is contained with in the receiver.
It doesn't matter of your using another radio with an FRsky module.

You simply turn both TX & RX on place the sticks where you want them and momentarily push the button on the RX.

Ideally you'd set throttle to zero and a slight bit of up elevator for a fixed wing.
If you have a quad with RTL mode you set the switch that initiates RTL for failsafe. or you might set alt hold mode or a throttle setting just below hover.

Bear in mind that fail safe might only be temporary and control might be restored after some short but worrisome interval. I've seen this happen.

Hey guys - he has FLYsky not FRsky.

FLYsky is the system OEM'd by Turnigy.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Oh bugger that's my dishloksia kicking in I didn't read his post correctly Frown

I did a quick google search but I can't view a lot of the RC groups pages from this machine as they are blocked.

As Andre said the main thing is that the throttle should drop to zero on a fixed wing. I'm not sure what the FLYsky RX does when it looses signal but there's a fair chance that it just doesn't out put any PPM to the channels. If that's the case then the ESC will just shut the motor down and you'll get that by default. ?? Did you test it to see what happens??

It looks like it should according to this tutorial for using it with the APM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtaXna9KsS0

There seem to be a fair few posts about the failsafe with FLYsky so it would be a good idea to look into it.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=flysky+failsafe&safe=active&surl=1&hl=en-AU&biw=&bih=&gbv=1&oq=flysky+failsafe&gs_l=heirloom-serp.3...2499673.2504168.0.2504452.15.12.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-serp..15.0.0.10yvTmqq9Kg