Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

I'll be down mid-late morning, need to do some shopping first thing. We have a number of MAAA cards to hand out, if you want them please pop down the field in the next couple of weeks to collect.

Dash would like to come down to have another fly and watch you guys. I will try to bring him about midday.
Cheers
Jo

That should be fine Jo, make sure you charge the batteries tonite.

Sunday looks the pick of the days this weekend, Sat is looking windy.

Im hoping to get down this weekend! I've been away for to long!

Flying RC is just more than a hobby now. Thumbup

So after today's failed effort at the field, I was examining the aircraft and saw this black wire sticking out the bottom which kept coming and coming, low and behold the receiver antenna. OK newbie error. Anyway, I have attached the link to the flight.

https://youtu.be/EcsihfNXRLI

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GoldRosi...0.0.w8Fg5Y

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looked to go a lot better than Sunday Andrew.

Flying RC is just more than a hobby now. Thumbup

Doh!!

Anyone Flying Tommorow ?

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(01-10-2017, 09:17 PM)samste Wrote:  Anyone Flying Tommorow ?

I plan to be there sometime mid morning. I believe that Rob intends to do the same.

Yeah, probably only a couple of hours in the morning though...

I’ll be heading down after 9am or so.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Who's planning to visit the flying field tomorrow? I reckon I will get there between 9-10am.

I have a newer bigger 65C 1800mAh 4S battery for my EFX Racer which I cannot wait to test out. Seemingly as a bonus, I have also just discovered not only that the EFX Racer is 6S ready but also that the 70C 1300mAh 6S Thunder Power battery I use on my 250mm fpv quads is a snug but acceptable fit for the EFX. Lots of Watts! Should be quick as bro!

My FPV Wing has been repaired after it's catastrophic relaunch. Having successfully maidened and trimmed it out last week, I am now keen to get it back in the air so to hopefully attempt flying it via the onboard camera.

I have put a new motor, esc, receiver and battery setup in an old balsa and glass glider I have had here from nearly two decades ago. Last time it flew it did so on NiMHs and a brushed motor. Hope to blow the dust off that and have some fun with that again.

Need to put some packs through my little 90mm quad too.

I will be bringing with me a relatively tiny green frog mini fpv quad, lost by a fellow member (I am sorry to have forgotten his name) in the reeds last weekend, only to be rather miraculously found when searching for SRL's missing lipo the following day. While one of the cells in the 2S battery sadly proved unrecoverable, the quadcopter itself remains in fine condition.

Just a reminder up the cells then smaller the prop.
Like a real motor when you open up the transfer ports means you have a smaller power range but higher RPM at the top.
srl

(06-10-2017, 05:37 PM)srl Wrote:  Just a reminder up the cells then smaller the prop.
Like a real motor when you open up the transfer ports means you have a smaller power range but higher RPM at the top.
srl

Yeah, good point. It comes with a 6x5 recommended for 3S setups and a 5x5 for 4S setups. I can't really drop disc area any more though, as it is already about a quarter spinner by area. I could drop pitch, but what would be the fun in that? I am not overly concerned about overdriving the motor or esc, and I have my doubts it will be a problem with the 5x5... but I could well learn the hard way that I am wrong. I do have a 4x4 which would fit the EFX, but am not yet convinced it is really a nessesary precaution. I will check the forums for discussion in 6S setups and perhaps may even model the current draw to ensure I am not too close to the limit.

I will be out tomorrow morning.

(06-10-2017, 05:23 PM)Quadzimodo Wrote:  Who's planning to visit the flying field tomorrow? I reckon I will get there between 9-10am.

I have a newer bigger 65C 1800mAh 4S battery for my EFX Racer which I cannot wait to test out. Seemingly as a bonus, I have also just discovered not only that the EFX Racer is 6S ready but also that the 70C 1300mAh 6S Thunder Power battery I use on my 250mm fpv quads is a snug but acceptable fit for the EFX. Lots of Watts! Should be quick as bro!

My FPV Wing has been repaired after it's catastrophic relaunch. Having successfully maidened and trimmed it out last week, I am now keen to get it back in the air so to hopefully attempt flying it via the onboard camera.

I have put a new motor, esc, receiver and battery setup in an old balsa and glass glider I have had here from nearly two decades ago. Last time it flew it did so on NiMHs and a brushed motor. Hope to blow the dust off that and have some fun with that again.

I will be bringing with me a relatively tiny green frog mini fpv quad, lost by a fellow member (I am sorry to have forgotten his name) in the reeds last weekend, only to be rather miraculously found when searching for SRL's missing lipo the following day. While one of the cells in the 2S battery sadly proved unrecoverable, the quadcopter itself remains in fine condition.

Wow. Thanks Jason I thought that quad was lost, well found. I will be out there tommorrow. Cheers Andrew

(06-10-2017, 10:58 PM)Rossy Wrote:  
(06-10-2017, 05:23 PM)Quadzimodo Wrote:  Who's planning to visit the flying field tomorrow? I reckon I will get there between 9-10am.

Wow. Thanks Jason I thought that quad was lost, well found. I will be out there tommorrow. Cheers Andrew

I'm not just a gorgeous set of legs and a pretty face!

To say that the EFX Racer is quick on a high rate 6S would be the understatement of the century. Quick doesn't even come close to describing what it is like. I can now say with absolute certainty that I have the fastest flyer in the club. I doubt I will be the only one flying this setup for very long though!

Exactly how fast is it? I really don't know. But considering that the EFX does 100MPH out of te box on 4S, and that 6S offers a totally incomparable level of performance... well, I expect that it is likely up around 125-140MPH. I unfortunately misjudged the distance to the edge of the reeds on my final landing of the day, putting it into a coral tree (at low speed) and damaging the wing section. Thankfully Baz got me a new wing section a few weeks ago which I didn't quite need to fit at that point, so it will be back in the air and better than ever without any delay.

Still, my EFX wasn't even the most impressive thing at the field today. Quang put on some truly awe inspiring shows with one of his big 3D helicopters. Golly gosh, watching him throw such a large and powerful craft through the air with such speed and precision, up close, is an experience and a half.

My vintage glider also performed admirably for a 20+ year old airframe. Gutting the old AM radio, NiMH 8.4V, brushed motor and ESC and replacing it with more contemporary gear worked a treat. Having repurposed the brushless motor and ESC from an old Walkera 3D Heli and constructing a super low power density yet very high energy density battery from NCR18650B Li-ion cylindrical cells (max discharge rate is 2C, with chemical layer breaking down at only slightly above that)... well, I expected it to fly for ages or not at all. Certainly it would benefit from a lower KV motor (4000kv is far too high for the application, but the only brushless inrunner I had on hand) and it is very under powered (throttle is heavily governed to help save the batteries) yet, much to my delight, it flew pretty damn well. Doesn't glide as well as I had hoped though, and seems to be no better (in fact noticeably worse) at staying aloft compared to a well setup bixler. But it is almost as old as I am so I am chuffed to bits both that it flew and that it will fly again.

No mishaps launching the little FPV wing today, and no crashes either. Today I got a much better feel for this tiny (and somewhat unstable, at least at low speed) wing. It tends to settle down quite a bit at higher TPS seems to really likes acro stuff like rolls and power loops. Efficiency is better than expected too, with constant cruise power still affording plenty of flight time. I also tried flying it via the FPV camera for the first time, which worked great and instantly provided a confidence inspiring feedback. I also did some low altitude stuff and even landed it in FPV without incident.

Great fun day!

It was a fun day today, that 6S EFX is seriously quick... probably the quickest RC plane I have ever seen... Steve L are you reading this... so you want to do pylon racing with EFX's... it will be MAD... and just a little stressful if we do it on 6S, Jason was struggling to keep it in bounds and couldnt full throttle for more that 3-4 seconds unless vertical...

Also had Wayne and his son Rex down with their apprentice, I got Rex up a couple of times and Wayne once... I think they are hooked once they saw the EFX, Quang's heli-work, and Baz's helix on FPV! Drone racing tomorrow... club needs some helpers. Smile

Reminding all again, that today 8th Oct Sunday, we are hosting the FPVR racing at the field, so no normal flying activities are available. Please come down and watch the racing, I am happy to share my goggles if you wish, and any help on the BBQ at lunch will be appreciated.

Anyone out at the field tomorrow?

Sat 14 Oct Sydney
Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and early afternoon. Winds southerly 20 to 30 km/h tending southeasterly in the middle of the day then becoming light in the late evening.

Nope... need to catch up on home duties...

(13-10-2017, 10:02 PM)robbo Wrote:  Sat 14 Oct Sydney
Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and early afternoon. Winds southerly 20 to 30 km/h tending southeasterly in the middle of the day then becoming light in the late evening.

So the missus said no, too bad....

Fingers crossed they have it wrong and the sun is out when I awake tomorrow.

(13-10-2017, 10:25 PM)Rossy Wrote:  

If I wake to sun and little wind then I will certainly be making an appearance.

If the weather precludes flying then you are welcome to pop round to my place and pick up your mini quad. I'll pm you my mobile number.

(13-10-2017, 10:49 PM)Quadzimodo Wrote:  
(13-10-2017, 10:25 PM)Rossy Wrote:  

If I wake to sun and little wind then I will certainly be making an appearance.

If the weather precludes flying then you are welcome to pop round to my place and pick up your mini quad. I'll pm you my mobile number.

sounds like a plan.

Hi guys, my son and I were going to pop in today, but decided not to because of the weather forecast. We are looking forward to next weekend!

Yep... good move... not sure how many braved it today... not me!

Flying at the field was just incredible yesterday. Sadly the weather had to break eventually.

I saw... nice vid... wonder how it has faired today with the rain.

Folks, Considering the rain we had today, I would be assuming tomorrow is walk-in only. First member in should review the ground, and I expect turn the sign on the drive way (it is on the left of the driveway just past the second gate as you drive in). I wont be down this weekend, so could a cttee member please ensure this is done if considered too wet.

For the newer members who have perhaps not seen the field wet, 'walk-in', mean cars go no further than the flat area after the second gate, ie NOT down into the basin. You carry your equipment in on foot.

Walk-in is necessary for one to stop the ground getting cut-up into a muddy messy, and two so cars dont get bogged in there... yes can happen. Please respect the rules and dont drive in if muddy.
Thread Closed