Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

Is the lateral balance ok?
Id check that first

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

The weather looks great for flying tomorrow, winds forecast to under 10kph all morning, 5% chance of 1-5mm rain & max temp 29 deg C. Strip is freshly mowed & dry. I will be there at my usual 8.00 - 8.30am to set up the field for flying unless Chris Mc beats me again.
Sunday not overly promising with wind set to rise to near 20kph by 11am, a 60% chance of 1-5mm rain & a massive 41 deg C temp also forecast.

I will be opening 8am ish to get in a few flights before the wind picks up by 10ish.
If you intend flying tomorrow make sure you bring plenty of fluids, is also going to hit 40 deg + .
I do not intend to stay more than a few hours for safety sake, heat can have devastating effects.

I the chance of rain has reduced unfortunately not so for the wind or temperature. If flying please take advantage of early conditions or give the day a miss.
I get my info from my old mate willy as you have heard me mention on many occasions. They get info from BOM but put in my preferred format. Here is a link for those who have asked.
http://www.willyweather.com.au/nsw/great...abbie.html

Anyone going down to the field in the morning... thought I'd have a couple of flights before going to Penrith?

Yep, I'm going. Penrith for me on Sunday if I can get a day pass.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Sorry Rob, cant help you there. I will be going to Penrith early

(28-11-2014, 06:51 PM)symowallo Wrote:  Yep, I'm going. Penrith for me on Sunday if I can get a day pass.

Great Simon! See you there.

I'll see you guys tomorrow morning too. Going to Penrith on Sunday.

(28-11-2014, 06:49 PM)robbo Wrote:  Anyone going down to the field in the morning... thought I'd have a couple of flights before going to Penrith?

My thoughts exactly - I will be there are 8.30 and leave around 10.00 for PEMAC

I don't have the combination though.

<hr>
71_71 So my question is... Where the hell does all the money go??? 71_71

I there by 8.30. Not going to PEMAC tomorrow

I'm wondering if anyone has been down to McCoy Aquatic Centre?

3 words....................IT'S SKIPPER TIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Damn, I was going to order a Skipper last week too. Now it won't arrive until next week, and it would be perfect for McCoy right now.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

It would have been a big pond yesterday evening!!

I nearly got washed away on James ruse drive comming home from work!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

More than 45mm fell yesterday. Previous deluge of 30mm a few weeks ago had water up to the top of the culvert concrete and would have drowned a giraffe.

Has anyone got any pic of that??

Wonder how it looks today... I bet it's saturated. I suspect flying will be out of the question this weekend, and maybe even next weekend if the current tropical weather patterns continue.

I got the info from a person who uses the leash free dog field. No pics. Looked at the field yesterday & it was all soggy with usual puddles. Rain radar shows rain on the way today & forecast changed to include rain for most of next week. Not looking good for flying next weekend either.

That is a real shame !!

Am at the field and not looking good. All of strip soggy & long grass. Walking into field left footprints in driveway. Advise walk in only & belly landers only for the diehards. Not for me, not that keen.

And down it comes again. Anybody wanna take a guess at tomorrows chance of flying?

I'd say 1/10th of stuff all ???

Except for quads, helis or sea planes perhaps. It was looking OK until that last downpour...

I'd say that was optimistic Shock . I walked outside in the rain a few minutes ago & my rain gauge indicated 28mm. 10mm in a short period can flood our field.

To avoid repeating myself, just read last weeks report of flying possibilities. Just add a few inches of grass.

Jason V & I just visited the field and observations were dismal. As previously predicted, the grass is way too long for wheeled planes to take off, let alone land Icon_evil . In addition to that, paspalum & similar stemmed weeds are present everywhere & would make for potential damage to belly landers. No need to specify northern, southern, eastern or western ends of runway or cross strips, all are soggy underfoot. Once a single car is parked in the usual parking spaces, pooled water would prevent further drive-ins and the driveway in is too soggy to drive-in anyway. None of this is likely to improve by tomorrow. So we have decided that any diehard fliers do so by WALK-IN ONLY FOR THIS ENTIRE WEEKEND.
Sorry for the bad news AGAIN.
Lets hope that the weather lets up & give us some flying opportunities towards Xmas & for those with a Xmas break.

Oh No... the Trojan will sit again in the garage, tormenting me for it's first flight!! Frown

I'm toying with the idea of taking my new Skipper tomorrow. I might even bring a lawn mower whilst I'm at it Biggrin

Take the Skipper down and walk in by all means, It looks like a nice morning but I fear the strip will still be way to soggy to mow, the wheels will just sink in Frown

I went and had a look at the field today. It is still very wet starting at the flight line and getting wetter the further in. If we get some nice hot days it might dry off sufficiently to be flyable in numbers by the weekend. But then there's the grass.

Just when you think the weather gods have started to take pity on us this happens Willy gives us a kick in the shins. Possible thunderstorm this afternoon. Only a 40% chance though.
Thread Closed