Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

I'm pretty sure I won't be, Simon - I'm sorry to say. I'm also as sure that the runway will have the western third unserviceable too, which doesn't help when you're dealing with a maiden. The Durafly T-28 likes to be brought in with some speed and power and that translates to distance, of course.

However, if you're available on Sunday I can make you a special offer, if you're interested (... it involves driving to Penrith though - let me know if that doesn't suit you).

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

Just arrived home from work and light rain has also arrived. Even the currently light rain added to an already soaked strip that does not appear to be draining would mean the field will be unflyable. I am happy to visit the field very early (6ish) to post a field condition if it is thought useful.

Looks like the rain has set in for the evening... And tomorrow will be a washout.

Steve - thanks for the offer, will PM you.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

(24-01-2014, 07:40 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Just arrived home from work and light rain has also arrived....... I am happy to visit the field very early (6ish) to post a field condition if it is thought useful.

Thanks Wayne that would be most appreciated.

As predicted there are multiple pools of water on the runway in the usual areas. Far cross strip is unusable and barely half of the main runway width without pooling. Runway cut short just past the crossstrip towards Grace end. Driveway solid underfoot and driveable. Up to the individual to decide whether to fly however after speaking with another committee member is recommended the field be deemed not fit for flying. Retrieving a plane from beyond the runway, you may need waders & you may sink without being found again Shock Wink. I have decided to call it a no fly day for myself.

(25-01-2014, 06:10 AM)Flying fisho Wrote:  As predicted there are multiple pools of water on the runway in the usual areas. Far cross strip is unusable and barely half of the main runway width without pooling. Runway cut short just past the crossstrip towards Grace end. Driveway solid underfoot and driveable. Up to the individual to decide whether to fly.

I'll be heading down anyway as I have David here from Canberra Club, probably mid morning to give it a chance to dry out a bit.

Thanks Wayne, your a legend.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Thanks Wayne, it's very kind of you to put the effort in to do that.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

My posting was to discourage flying today, not forbidden but preferred to be a no-fly day. The strip is very restricted for landings, both in width & length. Walking on soggy areas may add to the damage to the strip already done by the car doing donuts. Please also be reminded that visitors cannot fly without signing the visitors book and being accompanied by a CAFI/instructor (unless previously endorsed by an MAAA instructor or hold minimum MAAA bronze wings).

(25-01-2014, 07:46 AM)Flying fisho Wrote:  My posting was to discourage flying today, not forbidden but preferred to be a no-fly day. The strip is very restricted for landings, both in width & length. Walking on soggy areas may add to the damage to the strip already done by the car doing donuts. Please also be reminded that visitors cannot fly without signing the visitors book and being accompanied by a CAFI/instructor (unless previously endorsed by an MAAA instructor or hold minimum MAAA bronze wings).

Hi Wayne
I posted about attending but noticed afterwards that you had edited your original post. We have decided against flying today buit tomorrow is looking good.
PS dave has his MAAA Bronze.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Having been told that a few PMAC people turned up, I went to the field to ensure visitors book signed & new pilots to our field were aware of no fly zones etc. Although we still have some pooling, the water has drained off somewhat and as no more rain predicted, should be ok for a fly tomorrow for those interested.

Yesterdays flyday was reasonably attended & the field's recovery was not too bad although still a bit soggy at the Grace end of the field. Should be a good flying day again today. Not sure if I will be attending today or if we are indeed flying at all. Hopefully somebody will post availability of an open gate for non-combination holders.

Should be there around 10 a.m.

I'm heading there now, should be there by 9.15

Heading down to the field in10mins, should be there at about 9-15 only staying till 10-45

Car packed, off to get ice & heading to the field to open up

Morning guys, looks like another great day for flying. Minimal wind but heating up to 33 deg. I intend opening up shortly after 8 to prep the field for flying.

The weather is looking decidedly cruddy for the weekend. There was supposed to be 100% chance of 10-15 mm showers today and I haven't seen enough to dampen a tissue. A 95% chance 0f 5-10 mm morning rain tomorrow, so who knows!!!! Perhaps they should just say "gradually getting daqrk towards the evening" and have a reasonable chance of getting it right.
Will leave the decision to fly tomorrow until the morning. Watch this space.

Yes mate - it's a lottery.
I won't make it again this weekend, but if things are good weather-wise then have a great time!

Steve Murray

Not sure if it means I have won or lost that lottery, but it is sprinkling with no signs of letting up. So I will have to find another means of filling the day. Maybe stop procrastinating with the build of new planes.
Cheers guys.

I take it that the field would more than likely be pretty waterlogged after today's rain?? And that it'd be too wet for flying tomorrow?? Forecast doesn't look too good anyway, but one can hope.

It will probably be ok today if it doesn't rain any more
Or hasn't rained heavily during the night

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Whilst not raining at the moment the rain radar shows plenty coming from the West. Turning up at the field would be very shortlived in my opinion & I will give it a miss again today.

How right that turned out to be Wayne Smile

We managed to do a bit of building today instead.
Some EF1 repairs and a bit more on the cage for the willows cup

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I would rather have been wrong with the weather. With the forecast for much of the same for the next few days, might be a while for McCoy to be flyable again

Am starting to feel like a Friday pessimist giving the habitual "watch this space".
The field is partly usable (thanks Smuzz) but any more rain will ruin it for the weekend. Willy weather says morning showers, but he has a habit of being as pessimistic as my past few Fridays reports.
So again, watch this space for a morning report on my intention to open the field for a flight.

Agreed Wayne. Just ducked out side and it could go either way, but still didn't stop me throwing a couple of puff bags onto charge.

Will will see...

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

I'vr got some lipos on the charge in th hope that the will weather will be nice in the morning

I dont think I will be flying today, have been watching the rain radar for the last hour and areas of medium rain have reached Cabramatta heading north. Out of my southern window I have been watching blackish clouds getting closer, matching the radar & forecast. Might be worth a punt to fly but I am not much of a gambler. Lugging my mobile workshop down the stairs for a slight chance of short flying time is not my thing, but dont let me stop you from taking the punt.

Bloody weather, rain clouds looking less ominous now, rain radar not showing much in the way of water dripping from the black fluffy things. Gunna take the punt, pack my stuff & head down to the field

anyone flying tomorrow ? ( sunday) i might , what should i bring ? mx2 , rarebears , ef1, p51?

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .
Thread Closed